PbdBlue

Montana Mount - Rev 2

Awhile back I built a bar clamp mount for the Montana. After using the original mount for a few hundred miles I decided to take it a bit further. This go around I started with a Highway Dirtbikes SX bar clamp. I tapped four 4mm threaded holes in the clamp, attached 4 vibration isolators and fabricated a mounting plate for the Garmin AMPS cradle to attach to the top of the isolators. I kept the isolation posts spread as far as possible to provide a stable platform. Right now I have my radio ptt socket attached to one side and an extra ram ball to the other. If I decide to go for the HDB handguards I'll just remove them. For now they'll probably stay until I bash up my existing Cycra's.

post-286-0-39030400-1414450460_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-43640400-1414450455_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-12321300-1414450450_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-89786500-1414450445_thumb.jpg

Man, That will never work. You have the Drawer Arrow on the wrong side. The correct side is left.

:coolio:

Man, That will never work. You have the Drawer Arrow on the wrong side. The correct side is left.

It won't work because it's on its side- an unnatural act...

I'm ambidextrous :good:

It won't work because it's on its side- an unnatural act...

There's another way?

Tracks are vertical??? I like the horizontal layout. Personal preference I guess.....

Mine is mounted horizontal as well. With the lower, horizontal profile, I'm less apt to snag it with a boot as I go over the bars.

Yeah, there's another thread somewhere around here- I was challenged by this question when I first got my Montana. And since I came to the conclusion that they are best in the vertical position, I've deemed it the only and most correct way of mounting and using this device.

All methods other than my own are wrong and need immediate correction.

Yah yah opinions are like A******s.That's why we live in America. So everyone can have their own. To mount it vertical would be easy enough. Just drill a different set of mounting holes. I really like it mounted to the bar clamp. It's very solid yet vibration isolated and compact. As a plus if you tighten the lock screw there's some level of security at a lunch stop. The casual thief would have to at least have a set of metric Allen wrenches or a torx security bit. Not bulletproof but would deter someone from just grabbing it. Don't think I would leave it on the bike overnight in the motel parking lot!

Pfft.

The same tired old "free will" argument.

As the personal arbiter of correctness, I must respectfully disagree. It'd be ridiculous to require a rider to ride with his/her head turned 90 degrees the entire time just to see the track.

Settled.

You sound like the customer my buddy experienced one time while working in Home Depot. The guy was holding a PVC tee and staring at it. My buddy asked if he could help at which point the customer asked if they had any tee's that pointed up instead of down. My buddy took the tee, flipped it over and handed it back to the guy. Thinking the guy should not be doing plumbing. True story.

On my gps the scroll feature is on the left . Helps keep the throttle open while navigating

post-15687-0-01896600-1414527070_thumb.j

Tracks are vertical??? I like the horizontal layout. Personal preference I guess.....

Which is how I have my Tablet as well.

When I bought my 950SE it came with a mount like Randy fabricated in the horizontal position. On my 525 I use a Ram and the AMPS cradle in the vertical position. Both ways have advantages but off road I prefer the vertical mounting.

CiD

Boy is this thread derailed! I find that horizontal is better for me. When I'm off track (i.e. - lost) it's usually to the right or the left of the correct track. Hence the wider screen layout let's me see where I'm supposed to be at a closer scale. YMMV.

Paul did you read what it says above my picture?

But you are old and wise, Owl...

I get it, I'm kidding.

But- I like to zoom in a little tighter and be able to anticipate more of what the track is going to demand of me.

Having Power Off issue with the powered Garmin Cradle on high frequency road surfaces. Installed longer RAM arm to no help.

Installed the un-powered cradle and the unit stayed lit on battery power. Mmmm. Will be talking to Garmin.

The little triangle points up. I go up. If it points right I go right. You get the rest