Bagstr

KTM Fork Work in San Diego?

Measuring the sag on my Adventure, I can now pretend that is one part of the issue riding the Big Bike offroad. My question is: Can anyone recommend a local fork tuner with experience Springing and Valving this Bison of a bike? I've read of Super Plush up in the Bay Area and an outfit near Three Brothers in Temecula. One would think in all of SD there would be a competent tuner.

Thanks for your input, Dave

Measuring the sag on my Adventure, I can now pretend that is one part of the issue riding the Big Bike offroad. My question is: Can anyone recommend a local fork tuner with experience Springing and Valving this Bison of a bike? I've read of Super Plush up in the Bay Area and an outfit near Three Brothers in Temecula. One would think in all of SD there would be a competent tuner.

Thanks for your input, Dave

Precision Concepts. :) Ken

One would think in all of SD there would be a competent tuner

Might I recommend Eric Shapiro. In our SSC group we call him "Mr. Suspension". I don't know if he would be interested in this side-work, but his qualifications are in order:

Within the SSC alone we have 6 KTM 950s and he's done fork work on many of them, including our SDAR President & his own SEVERAL times. He and Tony first helped me install the Eibach constant rate springs for good improvement. Most recently he replaced my seals when setting up my forks to his latest shim stack specifications.

As many of you know, the 950 is mostly a dirt bike to me and I'm pretty in tune to suspension characteristics. I truly didn't think such a large improvement could be made, but WOW ... what a difference! The front is now so compliant it's like night & day!

I can now crash at higher speeds than ever! :)

Brett,

A big Thank You for that lead. I had hopes there must be local talent. With my stock 990 measuring 63mm static and 95mm Rider sag, I suspect there are improvement to be had. (Using the 30% and 5%-10% general rule) How does your Big Bike handle on the road after your fork work? Can you PM a phone number or ask Eric if he is interested?

Regards, Dave

One would think in all of SD there would be a competent tuner

Might I recommend Eric Shapiro. In our SSC group we call him "Mr. Suspension". I don't know if he would be interested in this side-work, but his qualifications are in order:

Within the SSC alone we have 6 KTM 950s and he's done fork work on many of them, including our SDAR President & his own SEVERAL times. He and Tony first helped me install the Eibach constant rate springs for good improvement. Most recently he replaced my seals when setting up my forks to his latest shim stack specifications.

As many of you know, the 950 is mostly a dirt bike to me and I'm pretty in tune to suspension characteristics. I truly didn't think such a large improvement could be made, but WOW ... what a difference! The front is now so compliant it's like night & day!

I can now crash at higher speeds than ever! :)

Brett,

A big Thank You for that lead. I had hopes there must be local talent. With my stock 990 measuring 63mm static and 95mm Rider sag, I suspect there are improvement to be had. (Using the 30% and 5%-10% general rule) How does your Big Bike handle on the road after your fork work? Can you PM a phone number or ask Eric if he is interested?

I believe it's road manners improved some as well, but chiefly my desire was increased sure-footedness in the dirt and that is exactly what I got!

I will let Eric know that you would like to chat with him about this ...

Brett,

Eric and I had a good discussion re the KTM. He doesn't like to overspring his work but believes my sag should be less. Can you please ask your group what spring rates they have installed. I'm pointing at .54 or .56 to lift the front and bring the sag numbers into order. I weigh in at 180 as a reference.

Regards, Dave

Brett,

Eric and I had a good discussion re the KTM. He doesn't like to overspring his work but believes my sag should be less. Can you please ask your group what spring rates they have installed. I'm pointing at .54 or .56 to lift the front and bring the sag numbers into order. I weigh in at 180 as a reference.

Regards, Dave

We used 0.50 kg/mm (from some Honda CR I think). Not sure where to buy, but I got mine at Precision Concepts. I believe your travel is reduced from our 2004 models, so not sure what length or rate would be best. I defer once again to Eric.