• Athena
    • CP (Moose)
    • JE
    • Pro X
    • Vertex
    • Wiseco
    • Wossner
    • Other

What is your favorite piston company? I'm shopping and looking for recommendations on what works (and hasn't worked) for You! You can pick more than one brand selection.

post-14322-0-50463400-1413164714.jpg

post-14322-0-77851100-1413164662.jpg

post-14322-0-14005900-1413164664.jpg

I went with Wiseco, as it's the only aftermarket piston I've ever used... :thumbsup_anim:

I went with Wiseco, as it's the only aftermarket piston I've ever used... :thumbsup_anim:

+1, ran the crap out of them in Legends Cars racing (FJ1200), no failures. BOM 650 quad built out to 705 held up well too.

For no real reason I was considering the Athena for my DRZ. Check with "burned" on TT...I think one of the kits has a better sleeve than others, making for a more reliable DS. Maybe ask Jason Hodnett as he had to get one. Go big or go home

OEM Honda, all the way. 8 million Baja wins in a row proves it.

What happened first that you need to replace the piston ?

What bike ?

All I have is circumstantial evidence, but we have: a thread started by goofyfooter about the best piston, and a DRZ in somebody's garage with no compression.....hhmmmmmm

On 10/13/2014 at 8:11 AM, tntmo said:

OEM Honda, all the way. 8 million Baja wins in a row proves it.

Funny to circle back to this thread years later..

Now that @tntmo is is considering a screen name change to "Mr Motorex" I wonder how he feels about OEM vs aftermarket pistons? 

Vertex, it’s what mama K uses.

OEM hands down unless I’m going for HC, then it’s JD. Have had bad luck with weisco, ProX showed more wear than oem.  

1 hour ago, tntmo said:

Vertex, it’s what mama K uses.

You must have smoked some Special K when you bought that bike. There are perfectly good KLR's around!

14 minutes ago, Pokey151 said:

OEM hands down unless I’m going for HC, then it’s JD. Have had bad luck with weisco, ProX showed more wear than oem.  

Whatcha think, 2 top ends for every 1 bottom end on a modern 4 stroke? 

Of course it depends on rod end play but at a certain point have to hceck the transmission gears and shift dogs etc if you're Really putting miles on a bike

10 hours ago, Goofy Footer said:

You must have smoked some Special K when you bought that bike. There are perfectly good KLR's around!

Whatcha think, 2 top ends for every 1 bottom end on a modern 4 stroke? 

Of course it depends on rod end play but at a certain point have to hceck the transmission gears and shift dogs etc if you're Really putting miles on a bike

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing. Most bikes except Kawasaki KX models, the main bearings are the weak point.  

Pistons (et al)

FYI most OEMS source items like pistons and contract with specific specialty manufacturers accordingly.

With EU brands it is usually easy,even on the OEM packaging to see and find out which contracted manufacturer the OEM uses or used in regard to powerplant components as well as chassis and controls components. They seem to advert and promote the specialty brands they use, even chassis houses like when Verlicchi was a major player with Ducati and others.

Asso Werke (big one, that most have never heard of), Athena and Woessner are examples of 3 of many manufacturers used by various EU OEMs at various times.

The Japanese OEMs tend to be quieter about their labeled OEM parts as far as outside contracted mfgrs go. But you do see them open about many items like electronic stuff, FI, wheels, suspension, carbs etc.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2014 at 7:47 PM, wildwood said:

+1, ran the crap out of them in Legends Cars racing (FJ1200), no failures. BOM 650 quad built out to 705 held up well too.

I rode an FJ 1200 for 107,000 miles before I parted it out...wish I would've kept that bike !

I like ProX, Wossner and Vertex.  I would choose any of those over a Wiseco if possible.  I have found that Wiseco pistons don't perform the way the company claims they do, and they have had some quality control issues with their products in the not so distant past.

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dirt dame said:

I like ProX, Wossner and Vertex.  I would choose any of those over a Wiseco if possible.  I have found that Wiseco pistons don't perform the way the company claims they do, and they have had some quality control issues with their products in the not so distant past.

All premium quality items and in some cases OEM suppliers as well.

I believe Isiah Thomas, historically, is still considered the best piston in the franchise history 🤪

Edited by shutterrev

13 hours ago, dirt dame said:

Their usual Forged pistons or the Forged Racer Elite line? 

the Racer Elite seems to sacrifice some long term reliability for a slight edge in power and weight for racing. 

For dualsport and trail riders, reliability > extreme edge performance gains

I haven't bought any for a couple of years, but the last one I had, broke in a very unusual way....between the bottom ring land and the intake cutaway.  Also had one that had a small blob or lump in the wristpin hole.  I couldn't use it and it had to be returned.  How does a lump or blob even end up in that hole?  I would have thought that those need to be reamed or bored to the correct precise diameter.  In the heyday of when I ran a repair shop, Wiseco was known for needing to be run a half thou. looser than what the they speified, compared to other other brands of pistons especially in modified engines, because they didn't actually expand more slowly and evenly than other brands of pistons, like they claimed.  It wasn't just my finding, but a general consensus among technicians that rebuilt offroad motorcycle engines.  Perhaps they have improved.

Wiseco piston out of my KDX 200.

102_0402.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Edited by dirt dame
  • Like 1

My favorite pistons are the ones that keep my bikes running 😎✌️

Yeah, best ones are the ones that you never have to see in person.  

Gosh, I've never had to replace these parts. Is that something I get to look forward to? And why?

4 minutes ago, Biker Jones said:

Gosh, I've never had to replace these parts. Is that something I get to look forward to? And why?

If you own a KTM, yes.