Czechsix

Super Tenere? Yes? No? Run like hell?

I'm looking at getting a larger displacement bike. As usual...something that's somewhat dirt capable, but the reality is that 90% of its life will be on slab.

Something that's 700-1100 or so displacement, needs to be low maintenance (I guess that locks out KTM and BMW...ouch). Some rough terrain (ok, dirt road, forest road, probably no single track, nothing technical...just fun sightseeing type riding). Able to have 2 up, capable of carrying a light load. Decent manners on street, decent manners on dirt.

Weestrom is a possibility, for some reason Vstrom doesn't do it for me. KTM and BMW seem to be high maintenance, Versys....maybe. XR's are too dirt oriented, same with DR's. WR's ditto.

Tigers seem to have some issues with reliability too...hey, it's a Triumph. And what the hell is a stepper motor doing on a bike? :crying_anim02:

I'm seeing the Tenere as a possibility. Ideally it'd be below a liter, but I'd be willing to deal with a 1200 instead of waiting a few years.

Who's got a Tenere? Thoughts? Reviews?

Yeah, I've already done the ADVrider bit....with 1600 pages of blabbing. lol.

I'm looking at a 2012 right now from EC Motorsports.

I have never owned one, but I've ridden a couple of them. They are bad ass bikes, especially if you plan on slabbin' 90% of the time. They handle very well on the road and are Yamaha reliable. At one time, it was my ultimate adventure bike. But that was before I knew any better and before I rode a KTM Adventure. My needs are different...I'm 50/50 or better dirt.

80-90% slab, I say it's a good choice. 20% or more off-road, I would consider nothing less than the ultimate off-road big bike....IMHO.

My F800GS is low maintaince. On Maintaince don,t fall into the dealer trap. Do everything yourself.

Maybe I'll look a bit more into the KTM/BMW world then. I was looking at KTM 950's for a while, might have to take a second/third/fourth look. Ditto with BMW.

I'm definitely not into the dealer thing, I do almost everything myself...which is why I want a low maintenance bike :heh:

Reality is that I'd be riding a couple of hundred miles on slab to get out to interesting dirt, at a minimum. Then rides up to Laguna Seca, etc. I'm seeing lots of slab, not so much dirt. If it's primary dirt, then I've got the XR to fill that role.

800 is a hell of a lot less maintance than a 950. I had a 04 950. They may have changed --I don,t know. 800 a lot easyer to work on . But KTM supension is better if you are going off road.

Always a trade off . Yam probley better if doing street

maintnance is a key factor ..i couldnt imagine changing my oil and filter every other ride.($$$$$)

KTMS are fast and light . and pretty. and win races..but for the long haul ive seen guys putting in (alot $) big dollars, but some guys can afford that luxury..

i need a bigger bike myself but want low maintenace because id be doing all maintenance which i enjoy..(at least i used too before i started doing it for a living).

Well, that's also one of the reasons I'm looking at Tenere...shaft drive. No chain maintenance, no chewed sprockets....but then again, can't do regearing.

compromises, compromises.

Ktm 950/990 oil change every 3k and chain/sprocket every 12-15k miles with little maintenance in between. Too many smiles too count, There's a reason they are loved to death.

I to looked at a Tenere but it's a slow heavy bike. I would buy a 1000 Strom first if you want lots of slab.

ya i can stand chains either . i run them on two of my bikes. messy ,loud ,not fun to deal with .and that feeling when they need adjustment(goosey).. my shaft drive street bike i love the drive system , clean quiet, almost no maintenance, reliable, and they are actually nice looking in my eye.

as far as ratio i concerned, the designers of the bike have a pretty good idea what works for the bike and rider.. on my chain drive i did play around with it up down and back ended up finding out i wanted the factory ratio for highway and dirt. on the street though comuting, cruizing, and recreation the shaft drive is a selling point ..

Shaft drive. Smooth and quiet. But when they die- and they do- very expensive and difficult to fix.

Makes a fresh chain and sprockets appear quite reasonable.

Now, see here....you guys aren't helping things out. Enough with this reasoning.

Someone just needs to say "buy this bike", and when it doesn't work out I can point fingers :smile_anim:

Buy this bike!

Anonymous.

Actually I have a buddy in L.A. that can afford any bike and he has one, it took a while to get it exactly how he wanted it, he's 6'3" or so , he has other bikes but uses this one like you would. I can put you in touch if you want.

Buy this bike!

Anonymous.

Actually I have a buddy in L.A. that can afford any bike and he has one, it took a while to get it exactly how he wanted it, he's 6'3" or so , he has other bikes but uses this one like you would. I can put you in touch if you want.

Hey, Uncle, yeah, I'd like to hear any comments he has about reliability, rideability, etc.

I have owned the 950 adv, 990 adv, vstrom 650, tiger, f800gs, and super tenere. That is it for my big adv bikes. The super tenere excels at road touring. It is the most reliable and most strongly built of the bunch. It has the lowest maintenance and the shaft drive on it will never break, trust me. It is also heavy, and kind of slow, relative to modern bikes. I found the super tenere to be far too large and heavy for off roading but I would also say that of any of the 1200 class, except the 1190 which I have not ridden.

The F800 was my favorite for true adventure riding, easier to ride than the 950/990 and easier to work on.

The vstrom is a great bike and not expensive. If you are not two up riding or dont need to go fast, look at a klr. I had more adventures on those than any other bike.

Reading your first post again, I really think a weestrom might fit your needs the best. If cost is no object, get an 1190, those are the king right now.

Buy a used 950 already set up on advrider for 5-6k and put the money you saved into a slush fund for gear/consumables.

Tiger - ask vanjoosten about where his is now...

F800 - go ride one at bmw Escondido. Horrible vibes at cruising speeds imo. I was ready to buy an 800gsa til I rode it for 45 minutes

Versys/vstrom - street bikes you can sort of ride in the dirt if you have to

Klr - don't forget your milk crate. Definitely the VW beetle of adventure bikes. Slow and unwieldy but their owners love them, maaaan.

S10 - if you're serious about it, wait for the baby tenere that should show up at eimca. Whether we get it in the U.S. is another story

Africa twin - this ones for you crusty! Lol. Still hasn't broken cover. Probably never comes to the U.S.

Ktm 1050 - new less filling version of the 1190/1290. Screenshots on KTM websites suggest it's coming soon. To Europe, anyway.

It's a good time to be an adventure bike shopper. Bide your time a bit and you should score a screaming deal on something.

Not to hijack too hard but I'd be interested in hearing more info/opinions on a F800GS vs 950 Adventure.

The BMW is fuel injected and the 950 is dual carbs correct? The 950 does not have ABS and the 05-06 models seem to have slightly lower seat heights (both have low seat options and could have the suspension lowered internally of course).

The 950 is a bit older and seems to sell for slightly less moolah used. Both are piggies compared to a dirtbike but they can haul the mail and adventure tour.

Thoughts?

I resent the term "piggy" for a beast as noble as an LC8 Adventure.

Portly? Rubenesque? Thick? Fluffy? Big boned? BBAB(Big Beautiful Adventure Bike)?

Not to hijack too hard but I'd be interested in hearing more info/opinions on a F800GS vs 950 Adventure.

The BMW is fuel injected and the 950 is dual carbs correct? The 950 does not have ABS and the 05-06 models seem to have slightly lower seat heights (both have low seat options and could have the suspension lowered internally of course).

The 950 is a bit older and seems to sell for slightly less moolah used. Both are piggies compared to a dirtbike but they can haul the mail and adventure tour.

Thoughts?

Bmw of esco will let you ride an 800 and you're welcome to ride my 990 anytime. Make your own decision if you're serious. Comparing equal vintages I think you'll find they sell used for about the same price.

Portly? Rubenesque? Thick? Fluffy? Big boned? BBAB(Big Beautiful Adventure Bike)?

Stocky

A friend has the Tenere and loves it. He's got nerve issues in his hands and swears it's the smoothest ride he's had.

He also has a Tiger 800XC and still loves it for "just pure fun."

​I've got a lot of backroad/fireroad twisty touring miles on the 800XC. From here to Moto GP to Eureka and then back via 36 and ultimately 7 sierra, passes... Most fun I've had on a bike. When all the drama is done with the R12R, that's what's being added to the stable... Unless I can buy an SE 950R off a friend with some spares.

Goofy - Well, the 800 did not come out until 09, where as the 950 started in 04. Between 04 and 06' the 950 was carbs. 07-13 it was the 990 and was FI. In 09, there was a round of improvements made, which I think made it a much more polished machine, with less issues. My 10 was flawless. My 06 was also a good bike, but there were some issues to iron out.

The F800 feels smaller and less scary to ride. The 950/990 is more pure fun, has better suspension and is better set up for off road, out of the box. One problem of the 800 is it can be buzzy around 75-80 mph.

A well sorted 950 selling for around 5-6k would be a damn good buy!

I have ridden the triumph 800xc as well, and that is pretty nice. Triumph has a great engine.