Oracle

what power cable for garmin 78?

I purchase a used Garmin 78 that will be used on my 950 Adventure and 530 Exc. Both bikes will be hard wired for the GPS. During my research, I've found two option for the hard wire. One utilizes the mini USB connector and the other uses the round 4 pin connector....so, which connector is recommended by the people in the know???

Round 4 pin. Easiest to wire (you only use two of the 4), and it's the more robust connector.

+100. Not even a choice in my mind

+1000. 4 Pin round is a way more reliable connection. Plus you don't need a usb power adapter.

Oracle, check out http://www.gpscity.com/

Free shipping over $25, no tax and even an ADVrider discount code if you can find their thread in the Vendor's Section.

You can call and order on the phone if you want too. Get the RAM mount holder for the 78. Since you have oversize 1-1/8th bars on the KTM, get the oversize U-bolt & ball kit then get a 3-5" socket to socket arm (longer depending how you want to mount the GPS). They have the hardwire power cord too. You can cut out the 2 useless wires (I think they are for boating data) then crimp a copper battery connector on the end and install it direct to the battery. They do not use much power, you can easily leave it on during lunch if you forget to turn it off (I recommend not leaving it on your moto if you go inside a restaurant though). Always run batteries inside just incase your hardwire or stator faults. Ram Mounts also make a cool ball that you bolt onto your top clamp (the bolts which secure your handlebars).

ramb231zinc.jpg

9354-500x600.jpg

I was pretty sure that was the correct setup, so thanks for confirming guy! Goof, thanks for the extra info on that top mount set up...I had not seen that option yet but now I think I'll go with it.

Ok, I have the GPS mounted and wired on both bikes. Thanks for all the input. Now, what next??? I'm heading to Bar 10 in a few weeks and have never used a GPS before as far as using tracks. My 78 is stock. What should I purchase as far as maps?? Anything else I need for it???

I have the 2014 base maps. Send me your email and I'll send you an invite to my google drive. It's about 2 gigs so it'll take some time to download.

I purchase a used Garmin 78 that will be used on my 950 Adventure and 530 Exc. Both bikes will be hard wired for the GPS. During my research, I've found two option for the hard wire. One utilizes the mini USB connector and the other uses the round 4 pin connector....so, which connector is recommended by the people in the know???

Round 4 pin is definately the way to go...

Dress4Pins