Sign in to follow this  
Mr.JAJA

Garmin Dakota 20

Hello to the GPS gurus.

I have a Dakota 20 and just recorded a TRACK last weekend. After hooking up to the PC Base camp (Windows) I can down load the track. If I try to convert the track to a route, It only makes a straight line between the Start and Finish.Is that normal?

Routing requires the right mapping software. If you only have a Basemap loaded on Base Camp it will not route, hence the point to point straight line.

Mr. JaJa,

I am on Thin Ice here and may need editing, but: There are two kinds of software needed to get the job done. Everything Garmin sells costs minimum of $89.

Item 1 is Mapping software, Item 2 is Map Data software. The mapping stuff sets Waypoints, writes Tracks and Routes. Map data is in the form of Topographic maps and Street maps..With Garmin they offer:

Topos at 1:100,000 or 1:24,000 scales. City Navigator is Streets only. Of note is that City Navigator will Find and Route to a Waypoint on Paved streets. Topo 24k will Find and Route Off-Road which is a major plus. Topo 100k will Not Route Off-Road!

Mapsource and BaseCamp are mapping software, Mapsource being to Older version. They have different protocol. This is where I am sketchy as I only use Mapsource which may not be sold any longer.

City Navigator, Topo 24k and 100k can all be load to the hand-held at once.

I believe your new unit comes with BaseCamp which will do Routing. Waypoints and collect maps from your data discs. You will need either City Navigator ($$$) or Topo as well to be operational. The software is Not intuitive and takes some time to learn how the widgets work.

You will have more questions once you get started. Ask away. You will find many people have trouble with the Ins and Outs of Garmin products.

Mr. Bagstr

Thanks for this additional information. I thing I got it worked out.