TexasDualler

Hardwire GPS CRF250L

So I'm trying to hardware an AMPS Rugged Mount to a CRF250L and I'm pretty much retarded when it comes to electrical stuff. Any suggestions to which wire I should splice for this thing? Only want it to be powered when the ignition is on. I have the official Honda service manual with electrical diagrams so I could probably figure it out if I knew what wire to look for.

I just installed a Garmin on my dirtbike tonight. I bought a hardwire kit from GPScity in Las Vegas and ran it directly from the battery, under the tank, along the stock wire loom and to the handlebars where I have Ram Mounts which cradle/mount my GPS. Garmins use such little power when "on" that I don't see the need to wire it to the ignition (imho). My lights are currently wired to turn on whenever the ignition is in the "on" position and it's sometimes nice to turn my lights off (ignition off) and still use the GPS.

Just a thought.

ps - I believe Bagstr recently installed a GPS and connected it to his KTM's ignition. I cannot speak 100% for what he did exactly but I don't think he used a relay - on the KTM there were extra power leads (I believe) and he tapped into them? He's pretty helpful and knows a thing or two about electrical power/wiring so hopefully he'll chime in.

Is your headlight on all of the time when the bike is running? You should be able to tap into the positive wire before it goes into the dimmer switch.

post-15644-0-65474800-1406264663_thumb.j