Your thoughts?

Prescriptions?

SeattleKick48-600x400.jpg

CHINO, CA (June 19, 2014) – Yoshimura Suzuki Factory Racing’s James Stewart has reported that he received notification from the FIM on June 17th, 2014 that a WADA test administered to him on April 12th, 2014, after the Seattle AMA/FIM Supercross, showed a positive result for a substance on the WADA 2014 Prohibited List. The medication in question is and has been prescribed to Stewart by his physician to treat a long-term condition.

Stewart, with the full support of Yoshimura Suzuki Racing, is willingly communicating with WADA and taking all appropriate steps to resolve this matter and plans to be at the starting gate at the Tennessee National in Blountville, TN on June 28th, 2014.

Cannabis- kidding....or not... surely the Dr is aware of banned substances, and he really did his patient a disservice.

They (the sports doctor and James) are professionals, they need to know their business - isn't that what they do for a living? I laugh when I hear some sports figure didn't know what a doctor was putting in his body.

Did the drug in question make a difference? Maybe not, but when your involved in a regulated sport for big money you do your homework or hire professionals that do. Are other riders breaking the same rules - maybe so.

Are you shure he was suspended. Did not see anything about that. Just got caught. Am I wong?

That was from the 19th. Today they posted it officially. I've never seen them list the drug the person failed with. They did and said it was amphetamine.

A few things to consider with this news:

--Professional athletes are responsible for everything they put in their bodies.

--Supercross and Motocross are two different organizing bodies and they have two different drug testing agencies (for an anaology think Kart and IRL).

--Supercross/FIM uses WADA for testing while Motocross/MXSports uses USADA. WADA and USADA have official authority for enforcing drug testing and their subsequent penalties, not the organizing race bodies. Supercross and Motocross gave up their rights to the testing agencies. Policies in one jurisdiction/organizing body may not align with polices in the other and penalities in one may not transfer to the other.

--This press release comes from Chino, CA - it comes from Yoshimura Racing, not Supercross nor WADA.

--This press release is a public relations move by Yoshimura/JS7, acknowledging a Positive Test for a WADA Banned Substance while also establishing a defense for JS7 "prescribed to Stewart by his physician to treat a long term condition".

--At this time, no official drug or banned substance has been named. Confidentiality agreements may or may not prohibit WADA from officially releasing the name of the banned substance and the levels found in JS7's body.

--At this time, no official report from WADA has been released.

--At this time, no suspension/penalties have been named.

There is rampant online discussion that the banned substance could be Adderall, a precribed ADHD medication. The medication can enhance performance by increasing concentration and focus (especially in people not diagnosed with ADHD). Whether or not Adderall is cause of James' positive test is unknown but it is undoubtedly considered by the public to be less severe of a "cheat" than other performance enhancing drugs such as HGH, TRT, steroids etc. I say this because Adderall, Concerta and other ADHD non-prescription drug use (or prescription abuse) is rampant in the college study halls. At major universities across the county students can pay upwards of $5-10 a pill for the medication which helps them stay focused during long study sessions or while writing long papers. I am absolutely positive high school students are inappropriately using ADHD medication during SAT and other testing.

It will be interesting to see whether or not WADA officially names the banned susbtance or whether JS7 does so. IMHO he'd receive much less backlash if he admits to Adderall as opposed to HGH (whether or not that is the drug for which he tested positive).

It will also be interesting to see whether he gets tested by USADA in Motocross (and what those results will be if he is indeed tested). At the Motocross season opener at Glen Helen, USADA said that they are not intending to catch people and ruin careers with drug testing but they hope to use it as a tool to encourage people to stay clean.

On an aside note: Having worked in academic research testing psychological interventions to combat addiction to illegal narcotics, it is interesting to me the use of the word "drug" in situations like this. Yes there are "performance enhancing drugs, prescription drugs, recreational drugs etc", but also consider that caffeine, alcohol and nicotine are drugs. "Drugs" on the whole are not bad. Some drugs are deemed by society legally, socially, religiously acceptable and whiles others are not. Apparently, James took a drug which WADA didn't approve...

pot.gif

That was from the 19th. Today they posted it officially. I've never seen them list the drug the person failed with. They did and said it was amphetamine.

DoH! I need to find this new update! My whole argument in the above post is now ruined lol

Here is an update, Stewart has been "provisionally suspended" since his urine had an "adverse analytical finding of amphetamine."

Fox Sports: http://msn.foxsports.com/speed/supercross/sx-james-stewart-provisionally-suspended-by-fim-after-failing-drug-test/

"Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart has been “provisionally suspended” by the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) after failing a drug test issued by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

The test was administered at round 15 of the Monster Energy Supercross Championship in Seattle, Wash. on April 12. The FIM states that Stewart’s urine sample had an “adverse analytical finding of amphetamine.”

The FIM released the following statement on Friday: “The decision to provisionally suspend Mr Stewart was taken following the receipt of a report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Cologne indicating an Adverse Analytical Finding of Amphetamine in a urine sample collected from him at an in-competition test carried out by the FIM at the round of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship held at the Century Link Field, Seattle, Washington, on 12 April 2014.”

Stewart’s team announced that the substance in question is medication that was prescribed to Stewart by his physician to treat a “long-term condition.”

“Stewart, with the full support of Yoshimura Suzuki Racing, is willingly communicating with WADA and taking all appropriate steps to resolve this matter and plans to be at the starting gate at the Tennessee National in Blountville, TN on June 28th, 2014.”

Stewart has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B Sample. The FIM continues by saying: “A provisional suspension imposed by the FIM does not in any way prejudge the question as to whether an anti-doping rule violation under Article 2 of the FIM Anti-Doping Code has actually been committed.”

The two-time Monster Energy Supercross champion scored five victories during the 2014 season but DNFs in the final three races relegated Stewart to a fourth-place finish in the series standings."

go to racerxonline.com

Thanks. I should have thought to go there. Also, thanks for posting this thread! What are your thoughts about all of this?

Direct from the FIM (in English):

Initial report of a failed test:

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/FIM_Antidoping_Controls_-_Monster_Energy_Ama_Supercross_FIM_WC_-_Seattle,_Washington_(USA),_12_April.pdf

Suspension notice:

http://www.fim-live.com/fileadmin/alfresco/FIM_Antidoping_Controls_-_Monster_Energy_Ama_Supercross_FIM_WC_-_Rider_James_Stewart,_20_June.pdf

A few things to consider with this news:

I say this because Adderall, Concerta and other ADHD non-prescription drug use (or prescription abuse) is rampant in the college study halls. At major universities across the county students can pay upwards of $5-10 a pill for the medication which helps them stay focused during long study sessions or while writing long papers. I am absolutely positive high school students are inappropriately using ADHD medication during SAT and other testing.

As an unrelated aside, I find the above beyond ridiculous. I did my degree working full time on rotating shifts in the Air Force while married with 3 kids, wife working and schooling part time. Of course I didn't play video games or watch more than a half hour of TV per week, but.............

On the topic - yup, all pros, know what you're doing and if the doc didn't fully disclose, bad practice.

I think he went to some club, party, whatever and did a line. I enjoy watching Stewart race. Fan or not better racing with him in the mix. I just think it's very hard to have money at such a young age.

I think he went to some club, party, whatever and did a line. I enjoy watching Stewart race. Fan or not better racing with him in the mix. I just think it's very hard to have money at such a young age.

any reason you think that? I mean about the line... agreed about being a millionaire before youre 21

No reason about the line. He seems like a good guy. Maybe that was wrong to say that. Dont know what prescription drugs make you test positive. I just find it hard to understand that if you go to your doctor for a problem, get a prescription that you can loose your job for taking it.

the governing body sets the rules and limits for which drugs and at what level they are banned (I assume)... so whether or not they are "illegal" for prescription and use, it doesn't mean they are legal for this racing governing body.

example- otc cough medicine is TOTALLY legal, but may not be allowed if you are in the International Tiddlywinks conference, as OTC cough medicine was found to give a significant edge to some individuals. So the rules outlaw something...

"Doing a line" would probably cause an issue with the rules of the racing body, as well as being illegal which would cause some different issues with the law, his contract, and his endorsements.

as for thinking it might be wrong to say that; no worries; just didn't know if you knew something others don't... I went to High School with some guys that ended up being somewhat famous (then infamous)... when a guy was busted for trafficking some years later, I didn't even NEED to see any evidence! I didn't doubt it for a second.

so: If my work has cannabis as an outlawed drug, and my Dr prescribes cannabis to deal with my chronic testicle pain... I STILL HAVE TO PASS THE DRUG TEST, or I will be terminated (well; I'll be counseled and given a chance to mend my drug-loving ways before I'm fired)...

That's why I said the DR failed his patient... If I have a multi-million dollar client, I KNOW he has some things I better not mess with... his livelihood is one of them

as for the ADHD angle- whether or not I believe in this chronic condition, this might be JUST the thing they are talking about... he may "need" a medicine to treat a condition, but he may not take this drug if it violates his agreement... no prosecution, but no contract either

As an unrelated aside, I find the above beyond ridiculous. I did my degree working full time on rotating shifts in the Air Force while married with 3 kids, wife working and schooling part time. Of course I didn't play video games or watch more than a half hour of TV per week, but.............

No argument there, that's called dedication! That dedication is why you're a sucessful guy. I'll play devil's advocate for a quick second for discussion's sake: many kids (or their families) are paying upwards of $40k per year for a four year bachelor's degree at a competitive university. College, with grades and "curves" is without a doubt, a competition for many students. Those who score higher, continue onto the better ranked law, medical, dental etc schoola and/or get recruited by the better companies. In a competitive environment such as college, taking Adderall is the same as a triple esspresso shot or liters of energy drink - especially when you know many of your competition is using it. I mean, it's "prescribed", it "safe" and it's for concentration - biochemistry demands concentration!

Here is a good read which you might enjoy (I had to think back to chem lecture for a few paragraphs in this article - chem lectures which I hated btw). Pardon the source but it seems to be a fair article which describes Adderall use in college and breaks down the molecular design of the drug. I found it through google and for what it's worth, I enjoyed the somewhat lengthy read: http://www.hightimes.com/read/adderall-americas-favorite-amphetamine

Davey Coombs who directs the motocross series said this about JS7 and the current relationship between Supercross/Motocross and their respective drug testing agencies WADA/USADA:

http://racerxonline.com/2014/06/20/racerhead-25

Following a very busy first month of the 2014 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, I packed up the family truckster and headed to the beach for a week of sunburns, bicycle rides, mini-golf, whiffle ball, and general relaxation. In fact, I wasn't even planning on writing much in Racerhead today since it's an off-weekend and there's little going on in motocross....

Unfortunately, the internet now reaches all the way to the beach. When I first started hearing rumors of a failed drug test, I was bummed—motocross is hitting such a high note right now, with huge crowds and great racing at each of the first four rounds. The last thing we need right now is a PED scandal involving one of the top riders.

And then I heard it was James Stewart and my heart sank. He’s one of the biggest stars our sport has ever known, and he was coming off an epic win at High Point, his first there since 2008. James could not have been more enthusiastic after the race, seeming like he’d turned back the clock. Now this. If it turned out that he was doping or using some illegal performance enhancing drugs, which usually means a two-year ban, I was afraid his professional career might be over. The internet itself was certainly about to end, burned to ashes in the fiery speculation that built from a whisper to a scream, and then a full-on explosion today, which may forever be known as Press Release Day.

But then things starting coming into focus … while also blurring the issue. For instance, the test in question apparently showed trace amounts of amphetamine, not PEDs, similar to something one might find in someone using Adderall or Ritalin, two commonly prescribed drugs to treat people for a wide range of symptoms, including attention deficit disorder and narcolepsy. Stewart and his team made it clear in the first press release that "the medication in question is and has been prescribed to Stewart by his physician to treat a long-term condition."

Next came the news that the test had been conducted back on April 12, at a late round of Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship. Now, I don't usually add that last line "an FIM World Championship" because it's kind of long and also a confusing reminder of the late, great supercross wars of the early 2000s, when the AMA and what is now Feld Motor Sports fought for control of the single biggest championship in dirt bike racing. The FIM came into the picture as a co-sanctioning body, and they have remained there since. They brought with them different rules on things like unleaded fuel and sound levels, as well as a drug-testing program with the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Motocross in America also underwent some changes in recent years. For instance, the AMA sold AMA Pro Racing off to Daytona Motorsports Group, who in turn allowed MX Sports Pro Racing, which is run by myself and my older sister Carrie, to take over the rights to the series. But supercross was not part of the deal when the AMA sold AMA Pro Racing, and as a result, SX has an AMA (Ohio) sanction, as well as an FIM sanction, and MX is sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing (Daytona). Other changes included moving the nationals to Saturdays and implementing a new drug-testing program with USADA, the United States Anti-Doping Agency. They came to the third round of the series, Thunder Valley, and took blood and urine samples from several riders, including Stewart. Those test results have not been returned; we expect them any day now.

If all this seems confusing (if not vaguely familiar with Ricky Carmichael's notorious fuel test from a decade ago), it's because it is. In this case, we have three different sanction bodies overlooking two different series, albeit with the same general rules and regulations. You also have two different anti-doping agencies with different jurisdictions and protocol, not to mention two different types of testing—SX testing is urine only, MX testing is both blood and urine.

Regardless, the FIM issued an announcement this morning that James Stewart is "provisionally suspended with effect from June 20 until further notice." Which takes us to this: The FIM-sanctioned series is over. It ended the first weekend in May. It's now late June and the AMA Pro Racing-sanctioned series is at full steam. Stewart is ranked third, 20 points behind Red Bull KTM's Ken Roczen and Ryan Dungey. Stewart's team announced that he is "willingly communicating with WADA and taking all appropriate steps to resolve this matter and plans to be at the starting gate at the Tennessee National in Blountville, TN on June 28."

Do you see where this appears to be headed? An athlete failed a drug test for a prohibited substance that he says he had a prescription for, but because the results took more than two months to come out, the series in question is now over and he's well into a different series altogether, one with a different sanctioning body and a different ant-doping agency. They say he's suspended; he says he will be at Muddy Creek.

At this point, I don't really know how this is going to turn out. The AMA and the FIM work closely together, the FIM and AMA Pro Racing not so much, so this is all new ground. What I do know is that nobody wins here. It's bad for SX and MX, and of course for James Stewart and his sponsors. And our sport in general doesn't need the headache of a prolonged scandal of this magnitude. Had the failed test happened in, say, January rather than April, it would likely be behind everyone, no matter which way it went. But this is one sport with two championship series that run back to back, and that complicates this matter much more than, say, a failed test for a football player who has to sit out four games for, say, Adderall or Ritalin.

It’s all enough to make a person just want to go away on vacation. Hey, speaking of vacation….

JS7 being interviewed on the Seattle podium (he was tested at this race)

78381_stewartj-seattlesx14-_4b710.jpg

Bikeslut, I can't speak to anything illicit about modern motocross stars but I will say that from the stories 90s motocross stars tell in the interviews I've heard, they make Jason Lawrence look like Trey Canard! Well maybe not J-Law, he is a pretty wild dude but you get the point - I doubt we'll see Ryan Villopoto in a hot tub for MonsterEnergyProCircuitKawasaki,Thor,PartsUnlimited,Alpinestars,ScottGoggles,etcetcetc anytime soon.

6168348026_bbdda7212c.jpg

edit: btw I always suspected you were an International Tiddlywink :torch:

As a former Div I athlete, I could go on quite the rant about this. Suffice to say, drug testing in general is BS, and drug testing in motorcycle racing is complete BS. The idea that there is anything you can take that will make you faster is preposterous.

Here are a couple of thought experiments.

When he was 16 years old, James Stewart was 125cc national champion, and there are no age limits. No 16 year olds are capable of dominating in the NFL, NBA, TdF, or any other professional sport, except for maybe tennis. This is because, like tennis, what you need are skills, and sufficient fitness to last the race, or match. If you don't have the skills, you have no chance.

Colin Edwards and Lance Armstrong are both Texans, and both ride motorcycles and bicycles. Any test of physical fitness goes one way. Any test that involves riding a motorcycle goes a different way, no matter how long, or how grueling. Colin would be cruising at a pace Lance could not even imagine.

I knew this was coming, and that it would go this way.

As a former Div I athlete, I could go on quite the rant about this. Suffice to say, drug testing in general is BS, and drug testing in motorcycle racing is complete BS. The idea that there is anything you can take that will make you faster is preposterous.

Here are a couple of thought experiments.

When he was 16 years old, James Stewart was 125cc national champion, and there are no age limits. No 16 year olds are capable of dominating in the NFL, NBA, TdF, or any other professional sport, except for maybe tennis. This is because, like tennis, what you need are skills, and sufficient fitness to last the race, or match. If you don't have the skills, you have no chance.

Colin Edwards and Lance Armstrong are both Texans, and both ride motorcycles and bicycles. Any test of physical fitness goes one way. Any test that involves riding a motorcycle goes a different way, no matter how long, or how grueling. Colin would be cruising at a pace Lance could not even imagine.

I knew this was coming, and that it would go this way.

Excuse my ingnorance and you predicting "this was coming". Sounds like you want to grind an axe here.

Okay so stewart is a natural talent that won at a young age and continued to win in years to come. Now he fails a drug test and not sure what you say changes this.

Edwards and Armstrong excelled in their respective sports...so what does that have to do with Stewart. Armstrong allegedly (I think we know better) doped but why compare Edwards?

Are you saying who cares if they dope because it makes no difference in motorcycle racing? Or if they are a natural talent it doesn't matter? Just asking...

I have had a personal conversation with a former Superbike champion who told me how he won Daytona high on coke...I lost all respect.

Hypocrisy runs "high" in the world of sport and business. Piety, o piety.

Who is making money off dope in this picture??

Hypocrisy runs "high" in the world of sport and business. Piety, o piety.

This topic is of great importance, and should be considered carefully.

Meanwhile, what's with the fish cheeks on the girl?

dory3.jpg

She is "totally",bored with action at the track and thinking of her main man, which happens after this event wraps.

B