Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

Kennedy Meadows Trip?

Just a feeler to see if anyone is interested? Lots of good challenging trail, nothing crazy. Free camping in a primitive campground that does have an outhouse and running water.

Would like to try for the 27th - 30th of this month.

Let me know if you want to join in, I've got 1 or 2 other people that want to go. Would be cool to have a few more people.

Its been on my bucket list for 20 friggan years...... still in cast sooooo it will still remain on the bucket list. Thanks for open forum asking.

I've wanted to go for quite a while as well, but never seem to make it. I'm traveling the open seas this time, and will probably have some other excuse the next time.

We will be camping at KM that weekend. A few of us on KTM 200 & 300s looking for some challenging trails. Might be fun to coordinate some riding, will send a PM.

Can't make it either. I'll be moving in that weekend.

Also I was just over at Thumpertalk and saw there's a large group heading up the same weekend planning to camp at Troy Overflow.

Sneeker, im heading up on thursday night. Riding friday and sat. Let me know what day you are arriving. If anyone else wants to join let me know.

We have a change of plan.

In light of the trail closures, and squid hordes organizing a Kennedy Meadows invasion on thumpertalk, we are going to the Piute mountains instead.

Have fun!

not worried about squids, we use them for traction. but if you can let us know what trails are closed that would be good. Where can we get info about the trail closures?

I called the kern river ranger district and they said there are no trail closures on the kern plateau? by the way if you haven't been to KM, its a huge place, I don't think a normal weekend invasion would be anything in comparison to a 4th or july type weekend. You never see anyone on the trails and camp spots are pretty massive. Should not be put off by having other groups there. Its not corral canyon.

Wow, that's significant, as far as trailer closure go.

I've been to KM 6 or 7 times and have always had a blast there. Now I'm very curious as to if the closures are legitamite or not. And if they are, why???

I called the Kern River Ranger District, Kernville Office (760.376.3781) and interrogated them about the USFS order & trail closures. Yup, that order was rescinded, it is no longer a restriction! That same order was posted on TT, in the KM ride thread. And if the TT hordes are reading their trip thread, they won't be on the trails cause they don't know that order isn't being enforced!

Still, I don't know if we're going there now that the decision has been made to go to the Piutes.

thanks for the link sneeker. I called and spoke to the rangers again and she assured me that 100% of the trail system is open on the Kern plateau. I asked about the 14-01 order and she said no, all the trails are open at kennedy meadows and that the only trails in the area that are closed are on greenhorn mountain due to fires.

I was going to camp at troy overflow but it looks like thats where the other group will be so we are hitting up the fish creek overflow instead. Join us there if you change your mind. It might be cooler up at KM with the elevation. It's supposed to get pretty warm in the next few days.

Will post a ride report in a few days.

photo too!! Thx enjoy be safe! I am seeing light at the end of the wrist tunnel!!

We have a change of plan.

we are going to the Piute mountains instead.

As they say on the boards, IMHO that is the better plan.

Have a great trip Brad and crew. Ride Rattlesnake and Boone Meadows Tr for me.

Exept the piutes look like they might be rather hot this weekend.

The listed headcount over at TT looks to be around 15. Even double that should not pose any issue.

Are there 2 Piute Mountain areas? I see one listed in eastern CA along the I-40 in the Mojave Desert and another south of Lake Isabella in the Kern River Ranger Disctrict. I'd imagine Sneekers group is going for some tasty mountain single track south of Isabella.

Whats up with the names?

Sequoia Piute: http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sequoia/recarea/?recid=79572

Mojave Piute: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/needles/wilderness/piute_mountains.html

American Indian Paiute (or Piute): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paiute

btw I'm really looking forward to the Ride Reports! I've backpacked in the Southern Sierras through Boy Scouts but I haven't a clue where. I've never ridden up there and from all accounts, it looks like a great moto escape from SDC.

I believe there is a Piute Mts in Utah as well. The only one in California worth mentioning is South of Lake Isabella.

I'm hoping to make a weekend Piute mts run in August. I'll post here when it happens.