Sign in to follow this  
kvanderstel

GSXR 1000 titanium muffler

Been looking for a 01 or 02 GSRX 1000 muffler. It seems these are a hot ticket for DR650's.

I see a few on ebay, but they are seem to be a little too expansive for my taste. Anyone know where to find one?

These are certainly the golden ticket exhaust for the DR. I found mine on eBay a year and a half ago for around $100 and then bought the midpipe from Kientech. Trophyhunter has one I believe and Afry has found two in the past when he had a DR. They may be able to chime in with tips for searching. They have definitely gained some value over the past year as it is a popular mod and the supply is limited and shrinking. Have you looked on craigslist? I used to search for a slew of odd combinations in hopes of finding one. Also a countrywide search on one of the meta-craigslist search engines may be worth your time. If you can find one there just ask if they will ship to you. Also check drriders.com under the For Sale section.

The x40F0x one is the best and from '01 '02 GSXRs as you mentioned. There is also one stamped x35Fx (think that's right) and it is either from different years or different bikes. It will work about as well, but is slightly longer in dimension.

Lastly, Procycle is working on their own proprietary exhaust system right now that is looking pretty good from early testing reports. So if you can't find GSXR can, you can always wait for that to be released.

Kris is right I found two on Craigslist by calling owners of the bikes and asking if they still had the stock can and was 2 for 2 doing so. I think I paid $50 for the first one and $80 for the second. They usually have no idea of the desirability of these in the dual sport world.

Don't know why nobody does this mod to a KLR650 as well - I did and it made the same improvements to the KLR as the DR. Best deal on a titanium muffler out there if you can find one. Just make sure you add the FMF spark arrestor screen insert and use a small bolt to hold it in place (with blue loctite). They weigh nothing, are quiet and pass a lot of gas....

additional please post the year models ( I see the one year but what about others?) and even the muffler P/N if you have it, I may have a line on one or more that are legit shop take offs.

2001 & 2002 gsxr1000 are the best cans (identical) and are stamped with x40FOx.

I am looking for one as well.

I called Stockers and they said they didn't have any. I don't see any on craigslist at the moment, the last one I saw on ebay the guy wanted $300. But yeah Afry, x40F0x is the one to look for, yes again 01 & 02 seems to be the golden years. I used a can from a gsxr 650, on my older 90 DR650, but I wanted the lighter weight for my 07.

Right now I'm leaning towards the DR O-series pipe with a 1 inch insert to kill the noise. Thoughts?

Yeah, I wouldn't go paying $300 for one. It's definitely a waiting game combined with a bit of luck to find one.

I have never used a DG pipe, but they seem to be a good value. What I can say is that the Supertrapp IDS2 racecore version is too loud, but it did work for it's purpose of more flow and less weight. I ran that with a stock bike and then with a cut airbox and FCR39 carb. Both seemed to work. You should be able to find some DR reviews of people running the DG O-series pipe on advrider or drriders if you use the search functions. Is your carb or airbox modified at all?

No mods the carb or air box yet. I do plan a jet kit and opening the air box a bit. I did that to my 90. Again, lots of noise can come from an open air box, so I want to be careful

Every report that I've seen of the DG is LOUD. Goofy has a euro exhaust for his DR but don't know what status that bike is in at the moment. The seller had two of them so he might still have the other one. As mentioned, PC's is on it's way. Same as Arnie - call every 01 02 GSXR ad on CL. Took me about 25 calls but I got 3 of em.

If you can go down to Stockers, it might play out better. They get horrible ratings for dealing online or over the phone, like they don't want your money. I went down there and found a "40" for a guy in WA after they told me they didn't have one.

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

^^^^Call for current inventory but good people.