TdubLady

Street Gear-What's your choice?

I'm curious what protection y'all wear for daily street riding?

I'm fully on board with ATGATT for off road days, but what about around town errands? Or commuting to work?

Not that I'm considering the tank top, flip-flop look…..I'm just curious. I notice so many varying levels, it's confusing.

I don't get dressed up for errands. Just a helmet and gloves make up the added protective gear for that. A day ride will see a full adventure suit or two piece sport leathers, sport boots, leather gauntlet style gloves. If there is more than just a tiny amount of freeway involved, I would at least add a riding jacket.

Back and forth to work which is actually close enough to just walk to honestly I just wear my uniform.

Anywhere off base I'm in full gear. RIght now that's KLIM Traverse jacket, Scorpion Deuce pants, and my Alpinestars Water Proof sport touring boots and my Shoei Neotec.

I just ordered a Alpinestars 3/4 length mesh jacket for hotter days, the KLIM is nice and well thoughtout but even fully zipped open gets a little warm when riding the dirt roads.

Simple answer is this:

Doing simple errands/casual riding can still result in someone else not paying attention and hitting you.

Dress for the crash, not the ride. Best gear available but not the cheapest is motoport/cycleport. Me and the Mistress both have full gear from them.

You can buy the best gear available, but if you aren't going to wear it then it's not going to do much good. I have had a lot of differnt gear, some of it I never wear even though I probably should.

Find your comfort level, whether it's black leather vest, fingerless gloves and half helmet or full leather race suit with riding boots and full face helmet or some place in between.

I'm pretty big on ATGATT. If I'm riding street for pleasure I'm wearing full leathers, if I'm commuting I'll wear kevlar cargo pants since they match my work attire (I keep an old pair of dress shoes under my desk so I can commute in boots). I own some textile mesh gear but my Joe Rocket Supermoto jacket flows so much air I only ever wear them for dualsporting any more.

Spend some time really reading this forum and then come back and share your plans for gear with us. http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

It's filled with threads that start out with "I was only running down the street" or "it was so hot out I didn't want to wear my ________" and invariably end with "man was I an idiot. I'm ATGATT now."

My belief is if I can't gear up for the ride, I don't ride. I have several other perfectly good conveyances at my disposal.

EDIT: Found in 2 seconds of looking over the front page. The perfect example. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981487

My belief is if I can't gear up for the ride, I don't ride. I have several other perfectly good conveyances at my disposal.

Still rehabbing the knee, I am sharing your belief. (It's awful tempting though, to hop on and putt to the store with only helmet, boots and gloves-just being honest.)

Good gear is expensive and it's hard to know what you'll like til you've tried different things- i.e.: Do I want clothes with protection inside or protection to go outside? Is leather a better investment than other materials? Kevlar jeans? Jumpsuit over the clothes? The more I look, the more options I find.

Trying to figure it out and streamline my purchases a little- I appreciate all the input.

It takes time to build up your arsenal, but if you shop smart (flea market on advrider!) you can buy stuff for pennies on the dollar. Kevlar jeans with kneepads are the minimum I wear on my legs and I always, always wear a jacket, gloves, helmet and boots. I know leather is typically more abrasion resistant but I trade off a bit for the convenience of textile gear.

Ran several errands today on my 79 Honda XL250s. Two Home Depot runs, Post Office and a run from Escondido to Ramona on highway 78 then return Highland Valley, Bundy Canyon to Escondido. About 45 miles for the day. Granted it was non rush hour times but all I wore was an open face helmet with an old duck bill visor. Otherwise it was no gloves, short sleeves, jeans and tennis shoes. This has been my normal around town riding gear for over 52 years. I learned to drive defensively many years ago. This includes motorcycles, cars, boats or motorhome. Haven't had an accident or even a ticket in all this time. (Well I did get a seat belt ticket about 15 years ago).

Most accidents really are avoidable.

Ran several errands today on my 79 Honda XL250s. Two Home Depot runs, Post Office and a run from Escondido to Ramona on highway 78 then return Highland Valley, Bundy Canyon to Escondido. About 45 miles for the day. Granted it was non rush hour times but all I wore was an open face helmet with an old duck bill visor. Otherwise it was no gloves, short sleeves, jeans and tennis shoes. This has been my normal around town riding gear for over 52 years. I learned to drive defensively many years ago. This includes motorcycles, cars, boats or motorhome. Haven't had an accident or even a ticket in all this time. (Well I did get a seat belt ticket about 15 years ago).

Most are, it's the one that isn't that will ruin your day. Or your month. Or your life. How you choose to prepare for that is up to you.

I am living proof that good gear can lessen or prevent more permanent damage. Maybe someday I'll write out my story and share some scars. Had I been cavalier about my gear because that's the way I'd always done it when I was younger I guarantee I wouldn't be here to type this right now. You should be thankful that you haven't had a meanful getoff in 52 years, but to advocate that people should be like you because you've been lucky is a bit unreasonable, IMO.

All the defensive driving in the world won't erase the stupidity of your fellow human beings.

Most are, it's the one that isn't that will ruin your day. Or your month. Or your life. How you choose to prepare for that is up to you.

I am living proof that good gear can lessen or prevent more permanent damage. Maybe someday I'll write out my story and share some scars. Had I been cavalier about my gear because that's the way I'd always done it when I was younger I guarantee I wouldn't be here to type this right now. You should be thankful that you haven't had a meanful getoff in 52 years, but to advocate that people should be like you because you've been lucky is a bit unreasonable, IMO.

All the defensive driving in the world won't erase the stupidity of your fellow human beings.

Honestly don't disagree with you at all. I once bought a motorcycle from a guy who had lost a leg from the knee down who was hit while sitting still at a stoplight. I guess I just expect that and that is part of defensive driving. You really need to expect the worst from other drivers. I also had a colleague who was killed while sitting at a stop light on his Harley and was rear ended. ---- happens but that is the primary lesson of defensive driving. If you really wanted to be safe you should ride around in a tank. Everything involves risks. I have been around the world twice alone with a backpack. Once on a motorcycle (British Enfield) touring India. No protective gear at all on that trip. But the point is that the real reason we ride motorcycles is that we are not safe. One of the worst ways to get out of an airplane is to jump out with a parachute before it has landed. The same is true for motorcycles. If you want to be safe don't get on one.

The excitement is being on the edge.

I still want to take the risk of riding my bikes the way I want to.

I always wear high quality leather jacket (Z Custom Leathers) on the street. Jeans for commute or short runs....leather pants for longer street rides. My Sidi Disco Adv Boots for the longer day rides...just hiking boots for commute or short runs.

Always wear good leather gloves.

Me all geared up for superbike school...full leathers, SIDI boots, good pair of gloves.

post-15604-0-35689200-1402957930_thumb.j

If just running around locally I have a pair of Bilt jeans with Kevlar patches ($60 on sale) and over the ankle leather boots and gloves but I still wear my good Motoport jacket no matter what.

Me all geared up for superbike school...full leathers, SIDI boots, good pair of gloves.

Mikey, you're looking sexy there…but I'm sure the guys have told you that already!

If just running around locally I have a pair of Bilt jeans with Kevlar patches ($60 on sale) and over the ankle leather boots and gloves but I still wear my good Motoport jacket no matter what.

Does Bilt make girl stuff? Where can I go to try some of these things on? I'd like to look into "over clothes" stuff, but I definitely want to try and see the fit before ordering online and having to return stuff. I haven't seen anywhere that has much for girl street stuff. Where's the petite lady biker store? Even the couple of Harley places I've been in sell only fluffy, pretty stuff; not actual protective gear.

Does Bilt make girl stuff? Where can I go to try some of these things on?

They do. Bilt is Cycle Gear's house brand, so they're only available there.

Does Bilt make girl stuff? Where can I go to try some of these things on? I'd like to look into "over clothes" stuff, but I definitely want to try and see the fit before ordering online and having to return stuff. I haven't seen anywhere that has much for girl street stuff. Where's the petite lady biker store? Even the couple of Harley places I've been in sell only fluffy, pretty stuff; not actual protective gear.

My daughter and my wife both have had good luck buying jackets on craigslist. Lots of good women's gear on there, I guess guys buy a set for their lady and then the ladies don't want to go riding?

Anyway, both of them got nice jackets for under $50 each, looked brand new. Just another suggestion.

Anyway, both of them got nice jackets for under $50 each, looked brand new. Just another suggestion.

Thanks.

Fortunately I love my jacket. It was the first thing I bought. It has good armor but it's mesh so it doesn't get too hot. I just layer more under when it's cooler out. I like my street boots too(though they're a bit scarred from my dirtnap) Xelement on leatherup.com has good stuff at great prices.

My dilemma is the daily. I had always just hopped on and gone with jeans, boots, jacket and gloves. I prefer to take the bike whenever I can to run errands, etc. Now I'm rethinking my gear and trying to figure how to invest my money wisest. If i wanna go to the beach or sight-seeing I don't wanna be in leather all day, so what's the path of least resistance? What's the easiest most versatile investment for daily grab and go?

Then, there's the fact I'm short and female…what's gonna fit?

You guys have it SOOOO easy!! :heh:

Oh and, CiD, I don't even know WHAT to say to THAT!!!

Except maybe to wonder how you took that selfie?

Cycleport, full gear all the time. Even if its just around the block