Spaugh

Looking to do some KTM suspension work

Guys + Gals, I've been doing suspension work for years and am well equipped to do your suspension especially WP. I own a vacuum bleeder (not sure any shops even have this locally) for doing shocks and all the different nitrogen attachments etc to service stock shocks, bladder equipped shocks etc. Can do oil and nitrogen changes in minutes while you watch for very reasonable price.

Please let me know if you need your oil, seals or nitrogen refreshed or if you need some spring, sag, or valving adjustments to make your bike handle better for your type of riding. I can help you get your suspension freshened up and dialed in for a price the shops can not come close to.

Post up or shoot me a message and let me know what need.

thanks!

spaugh

PS, can do engine and carb work as well. Need work, please let me know if I can help.

Spaugh

OK, so I have been changing the fluid annually And most importantly have springs for correct sag measurements. On the '13 EXC Open Chamber front and stock shock, is there much more to do for the "Wednesday" rider??

Your considered opinion please

PS, I have seen Spaugh's Shock fluid machine. Impressive!

WheatBagger

Shock and fork oil should be done every 50hrs (for most mortals) so an annual change for a guy who rides most Wednesdays is probably not really often enough. Most people let it go too long and then the oil breaks down and gets contaminated. Best case, you are not getting good suspension action/damping, worse case is the oil gets dirty and the bushings and other internals wear out sooner than they would have if you keep the oil clean.

Fork legs, and fork bushings see a lot more stress than shock components and therefore should be replaced more often for good fork action. You may be thinking well my forks feel great when I push on them in the garage. The thing is, they are not loaded up laterally like they would be while riding and hitting bumps. The shock doesn't suffer as much from this because the swingarm is holding the shock in place where the forks have nothing to keep the wheel end aligned with the top end. You may be suffering from binding and stiction in the forks and not be able to tell when playing with it in the garage.

In summary, change your oil often in your forks and shock and replace the fork bushings every year or 2 to maintain optimum fork action.

And everyone can benefit from having their suspension serviced and even revalved. It may seem OK for a Wednesday rider, but can always be better. Even having someone who knows what to look for help set the rebound clickers can have a big impact on how the bike rides and how confident the rider is.

Location? Ballpark to have WP suspension freshened on an '03 that's seen better days? I think it's already resprung for my weight but needs to be gone through and set up, including sag.

I am in San Carlos near Grossmont College and Cowles Mountain 92119.

For emptying the existing oil and nitrogen, refilling with fresh shock oil, vacuum bleeding all air out of the oil, and nitrogen recharging the reservoir to 150psi would be 40$.

Forks can be done very reasonably also, just depends on what items we are replacing.

How long do you typically need? Can I bring the entire bike or do you prefer just the forks/shock? Do you help with setting up sag/etc?

I can do the shock in about 30 minutes. Forks take longer. If you bring the bike, I will have to charge a little extra to take the stuff off and clean it and put it back on.

I can do 24hr turn time on pretty much anything though, you can drop it off and pick it up next day. I will photograph the work and document any shim changes etc and save the used parts so you know what you are paying for.

yes, I can help setup the springs and sag no problem. We can get the sag right in the garage, the clickers need to be done on the trail or track.

I will contact you when I am in town.

Dave

Just putting in a good word about Spaugh's work. I have done a good deal of riding with Spaugh and back when I was in SD going to school at UCSD with no garage space would often be over the day before for bike work. Sometimes just as guide and for the more complicated showing me how things were done. This included most all the common maintenance items on a range of bikes including KTM 300, KTM 400 and KTM 200: Forks, shocks, jetting, top ends, adjustments, and fixing many common trouble spots. He knows about the KTM's quite well, their common weak spots and what needs to be done to make them better. Highly recommended.

Good word for Spaugh. First and foremost Spaugh is an engineer. Logic, with attention to detail, and did I mention logical. He is a hardcore hobbyist with great mechanical ability and straight forward honest disposition (a no BS guy). My 2 cents added.

Spaugh,

If you ever get into a pickle for a part or anything at all just give a call. I carry some and I have some connections in the industry.

Good luck!

George

619 997-5193

We here at SDAR are spoiled with resources. Two Great guys.

I also would like to put a good word in for Brad. He has a great workshop in his garage and all the right tools to get the job done. I have worked with him on some projects we both have had and I would highly recommend him to work on your stuff. His shock bleeder is a great tool he developed and I have used it a couple of times. Makes bleeding a shock easy. I have to say he knows his stuff because I taught him everything I know. Not really, but we have helped each other out a few times.

Keep the fluids in your suspension fresh. It does make a difference just like it does in your engine. Most people don't think about it but should.

Allow me to add more kudos.

I picked up my bike from Brad a couple hours ago. He did a great job in swapping out seals, fork oil, and servicing the rear shock on my big Katoom.

The guy knows what he's doing and his prices are super fair.

Highly recommended.

Thanks, brother.

Dan

Dan, here is a photo of your forks getting the SKF seal and bushing upgrades (all of these parts were superceeded OEM parts). Much less friction on the new seals and they last a lot longer before leaking. You will not need to worry about it for a very long time.

Your 990 must have lived a fairly pampered life as I was expecting much worse after 10K miles. The oil was dirty but I've seen much worse in much shorter time on the smaller bikes that are ridden only offroad.

14349086315_b602576937_c.jpg

Oil had seen better days

14166409719_101c441055_c.jpg

Your 990 must have lived a fairly pampered life...

Ouch. I'm not gonna live that down...

BTW: I asked Brad if these new forks would help my wheelie ability. He added insult to injury by stating me that if I couldn't wheelie before the fork service, he doubted I'd be able to afterward.

Double zing...

Mr. Spaugh,

My '13 EXC Open Chamber Forks are at 200+ hrs with only a couple of oil changes. Time for a look-see and oil. When you have time, I will bring them over for inspection and service. Can you explain what you look for and how you determine what bushings and or seals are needed?

Regards, Mr. Bagstr

Sorry I have been super busy and have not been on the site much. Blake, what do you need done? Just an oil change or do you want a revalve? Please shoot me an email about work to brad@shockbleeder.com in case I am not on this forum.

Dave, we can do a service together if you want. Just give me a call. I can surely use more work.

Just subscribe to this thread and you'll get an email every time someone posts in it. :)

Here is vacman's, (used to be bowers's) shock getting the shockbleeder service. The shock looked fine, everything was normal, clean oil came out of it from the last service.

14870423326_7032bc4392_c.jpg

nitrogen refill

14890343021_9eaafc31cf_c.jpg

14706862297_540744b9eb_c.jpg

OEM WP SKF seal busher set going in the forks tomorrow.

14706716750_8c5dc6bf3b_c.jpg