amgems

New satellite communicator / tracker

Looks really good. I'd be interested in how much the service costs...

I would be nice to have two way comm, and I'd be willing to pay $300. Not willing to pay $25 per month. The Spot annual fee is up to $125 or so / $12.50 per month. The spread is narrowing. I've had folks tell me the "new" Smart Ass phones have GPS receivers and work off the cell network. Can anyone confirm this statement? If true, you would have the maps but still no rescue.

The Tough Guy :eh:

..............I've had folks tell me the "new" Smart Ass phones have GPS receivers and work off the cell network. Can anyone confirm this statement? ..............

Yes, that's true.

You can use a SPOT Connect (as I have one, and have first hand experience using it) which will link to your smart phone and show you on the map, your location pings. If you have data service, it'll pull up a normal map with geographical data (or satellite images). If you are in a "no data" area, you'll still get the locations, but on a blank mapping screen (no overlay of data).

The smart phone works the same/similar way. As a GPS. With no data, you have no maps. But you would have coordinates. And can enable "tracking" (depending on the app). Most call it "Offline Navigation" when your in a no data area.

For example, you can also download a map if you know your area of travel... (explained somewhat);

Google Maps is probably the most well known mapping and navigation app out there. Google has updated Google Maps so that it now offers maps offline. This means you can download maps and store them on the device and the navigation portion of Google Maps can access the data even when you don't have data access.

Navfree_USA.jpg

But there are a couple of drawbacks to the offline use of Google Maps. And it may not be ideal for a long trip or to use the device as an in-car navigation device replacement without a data connection. Even though you can download maps while in a Wi-Fi hotspot to avoid using carrier data, Google only allows you to download maps in certain "map tiles," which means that you can't download a map for the entire U.S. or in some cases an entire state. On a long road trip or if you venture outside an area where you have a preloaded map, you'll have to stop and download the next piece of the map.

I would be nice to have two way comm, and I'd be willing to pay $300. Not willing to pay $25 per month. The Spot annual fee is up to $125 or so / $12.50 per month. The spread is narrowing. ................

If you buy the "freedom" plan, you can deactivate the unit on a per month basis.

As described here;

Freedom Plans

Our freedom plans allow you to pay for satellite airtime service when you need it on a rolling monthly basis. You can change plans, up or down, or suspend your service at no charge.

• Ideal for seasonal or occasional use.
  • Move up or down a plan for free.
  • Suspend your service when you don’t need it.
  • Keep all your account data, tracks and details when suspended.
  • Minimum 30-day commitment.
  • Annual freedom program fee of $24.95.

The new smart phones do have GPS capabilities, but, I would think, not as detailed or accurate as a true dedicated GPS receiver. With that said, a guy I have ridden with uses only his fancy smansy smart phone for navigation. Not sure what type it was. I have a Garmin 60 and he followed me all the time, so not sure how good it works. Tough guys don't need no stinking GPS. Maps and compass that's all.

THIS is a great feature of the DeLorme;

Location Pings - when you provide a link to your MapShare page for others to view your location, they can also proactively "ping" your inReach to see your location between routine tracking intervals. This provides peace of mind to anyone wanting to get a location update from your inReach device without waiting on the next tracking update.

The new smart phones do have GPS capabilities, but, I would think, not as detailed or accurate as a true dedicated GPS receiver. .................

Actually... they are as-accurate (down to the 30ft mark).

However, most smart phones aren't "ruggedized" like a stand-a-lone GPS Receiver, or something like a SPOT or DeLorme device. Also, smart phones don't have as long a battery life on a per day basis. Not a good option, if a 110V outlet isn't in the nightly future.

Also, smart phones don't have as long a battery life on a per day basis. Not a good option, if a 110V outlet isn't in the nightly future.

Easily solved with a battery tender SAE plug (which any bike should have anyway, IMO) and a USB adapter.

Having working in the ATT Central Office environment, I know they went through several years past and installed GPS transmit / receivers. This means that every 30 miles or so there are "known" coordinates that can be used with your cell device to give retailers your location. I have a suspicion this is the "low tech gps" system used on the phones. Obviously this would work poorly or not at all in remote settings.

The system described above by JohnnyA seems to describe would be using satellites. Which would make my suspicions incorrect.

Thanks for the details gents!

The Tough Guy :cool04:

Also, smart phones don't have as long a battery life on a per day basis. Not a good option, if a 110V outlet isn't in the nightly future.

Easily solved with a battery tender SAE plug (which any bike should have anyway, IMO) and a USB adapter.

Of course! ...just more stuff to carry (if you use a remote battery), or wire into your bike. As well, "phones" in general aren't made for the harsh environment of a handlebar mount and all it endures.

I use my smart phone on all my rides. But it's tucked away, in a soft case and into my Ogio Flight Vest. This doesn't mean, one wrong crash and it's safe. I've had GPS's and my SPOT devices take some pretty hard falls... I don't think my 'smart phone', even with gorilla glass would hold up too well to similar events.

Having working in the ATT Central Office environment, I know they went through several years past and installed GPS transmit / receivers. This means that every 30 miles or so there are "known" coordinates that can be used with your cell device to give retailers your location. I have a suspicion this is the "low tech gps" system used on the phones. Obviously this would work poorly or not at all in remote settings.

The system described above by JohnnyA seems to describe would be using satellites. Which would make my suspicions incorrect.

Thanks for the details gents!

The Tough Guy :cool04:

Maybe this will help explain;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253354/ten_ways_your_smartphone_knows_where_you_are.html

For those looking to solely use a "smartphone" for travel and guidance...

Check out Garmin's product called Navigon. Pretty awesome.

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/produkte/navigationssoftware/index.html

........And for those on touring bikes... why not mount a tablet to the bars?! :lmaosmiley::coolio:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/a/11168/Cheap-Motorcycle-GPS-How-to-Make-One-Using-an-iPhone-for-Under-150

Chris from Wildomar has the Delorme SE and loves it. He has posted about it on here.

I tried this using a higher charge rate USB adapter from an inmate on ADVrider and it still will not keep up with the charging needs while the gps is on my phone (Maxx) even in airplane mode. After about 5 hours my phone was stone dead.

But I can confirm I had accurate gps with no cell reception.

........And for those on touring bikes... why not mount a tablet to the bars?! :lmaosmiley::coolio:

Not only do I want this, I want it to be connected to the bike's system to monitor all the things the computer does- temps, mixture, rmp, speed, etc.

But my iPad mini in my tank bag overheated in about 12 minutes and was useless.

Soon, my friends...very soon.

Not only do I want this, I want it to be connected to the bike's system to monitor all the things the computer does- temps, mixture, rmp, speed, etc.

But my iPad mini in my tank bag overheated in about 12 minutes and was useless.

Soon, my friends...very soon.

I commandeered my daughter's old 7" Andriod tablet when I gave her my iPad with plans to make it a tankbag mapping device someday. It's very difficult to justify having a separate GPS unit for hundreds of dollars when a tablet will stream bluetooth music, directions, give you turn by turn guidance, have all the most detailed maps you could find, the ability to easily zoom in/out, etc. If it breaks you buy another $100 tablet. I was thinking about doing some sort of tinted glass case with automotive tint to keep it from overheating in the sun.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/gps/nexus-7-gps/using-a-tablet-as-a-gps.htm

I tried this using a higher charge rate USB adapter from an inmate on ADVrider and it still will not keep up with the charging needs while the gps is on my phone (Maxx) even in airplane mode. After about 5 hours my phone was stone dead.

But I can confirm I had accurate gps with no cell reception.

That's odd. Were you in an area with tons of foliage where it was trying to get a lock all the time? I've used my iPhone in gps only mode without a rapid loss of battery even without it plugged in. With it plugged into my car I regularly use it all day with gps active (outside sales, Google maps running nonstop, plugged into my car Sync connector) with the phone remaining at 100% so it has to be another issue.

I think its a Droid issue with the GPS sucking power

He has posted about it on here.

Dang....and I thought I had a big scoop.