SICVIC

AZ Routes Home

Hello all,

Been browsing over on XChange but also wanted to check here as well.

What I'm looking for are tracks from Antelope Wells,NM (end of the CD) back here to San Diego.

This is basicaly the bottom of AZ, East to West.

I may go into Mexico and ride the 2 West for awhile then pop back into the US in Douglas, AZ. (or be detained again...)

Trying to aviod Freeway. Not looking for your favorite death ride tracks either. It will be in the 100's I'm sure; may have to ride at night.

Something in the mid skill level range would be perfect.

So: South AZ (east side) back to here.

Looking for some help.

CDaddy, KKug, Kato, Goof, Straga, tlking6, CID ??????

Calling all heavy hitters to the microphone.

I know some ya'll bust ur ass to make these tracks. Respect.

SV

Scortched Vic

I'm sure there's a border road for most of it - that would be fun at night....

The Bradshaw Trail is a good ride from Blythe back to the Imperial Valley.

Afry: Yes, my camo painted bike would cause no suspicion at all riding along the fence....at night.

DD: Was looking at the Bradshaw. Might be an option as a connector to something.

Someone out there has a ready made and tested route sitting around ready for the hand off.

I have a couple routes from Yuma headed west. I haven't checked they're still open but if you want them I'll trade you for some pics and video.

Vic ...when are u doing this ?

I'll be heading back from New Mexico and doing as much dirt as possible to SD after the Cannonball Ride.

I'll be exploring New Mexico from May 6th thru 10th then heading back thru AZ. I'll probably do the Bradshaw Trail on way back. Have to stop in Phoenix to see friends.

Bags: U-Haul...As a last resort; when ALL lesser means have failed...

K-Rad: When..?? Come on man; you know how I roll.... Late Aug when there is no chance of me getting cold.

I gotta get the track together asap so I'm open to all suggestions. I've got 8000 miles sorted and this is the last hang up.

Whatcha got?

I'll be tying the suggestions together first of next week then I'll run it buy everyone to see if I'm going somewhere I souldn't. (aside from the desert in the middle of summer)

C_Dad: I know you have some sort of stash to get me from yuma home.

I'll ask here too. Do I need any type of permit to ride that Diablo Trail? Bradshaw? Something down there goes through a Military Base...No???

Thanks fellas

I don't do tracks....using maps and atlas only....that's the way I roll.

But I'll be happy to share what I end up doing.

el camino del diablo :smile_anim:

The trail follows the Mexico–United States border very closely for most of its length. To transit the entire trail, a permit is required from the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge office in Ajo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Camino_Del_Diablo

I will probably stick to higher elevations and mountains as much as possible.

I know huh.

I'm looking at the maps now and It's a give or take game. To find elevation ya gotta ride more. Low areas are more of a straight shot.

When I get to Antelope Wells I think I'll go into Mex and take the 2 West to Douglas, AZ. Back into the US there. From there a sorta found some tracks that work thier way over to Nogales, AZ. From there I think I gotta wiggle my way across to the 286 up to the 86 and over to Ajo, AZ. From there the Devil trail will get me into Yuma.

From there someone must have a route from Yuma into Anza or something.

None of what I mentioned has elevation.

Thats going to be a brutal ride in August. Some of those places you want to sleep with one eye open.

Good luck

It will be hot for sure! This will be one of the first times I'm in a place that everyone is armed; EXCEPT for me.

It will be amazing if I make it that far. More amazing if I make it across.

From what I understand, there are graves along the Diablo route for those who did not. They say that the majority of them are in the last 30 miles. That place is no joke.

Working on my permits now.

I know this probably does not need to be said but in that area be sure to have an optional route planned as things can change quite quickly

Agreed.

I figure a good fallout would be the Intro State Freeway to the North.

I have have a Maint stop planned at a Moto shop in Tucson prior to hitting Ajo, AZ and the El Camino del Diablo route.

I also have 2 alternate routes avail once I reach Oregon.

Anything MAJOR that goes wrong between North Carolina to Colorado up to Canada will result in an "abort mission".

The correction factor that early in the ride would be too much to overcome. (I feel)

My plans have plans; this always changes once you're in the fight.

"My plans have plans."

Spoken like a true operator.

For the desert crossing, consider one of those pre-soak vests and neck wraps to help you stay cool. I've soaked my gear at watercrossings and it's a savior on those hot days but it dries very quickly once you're moving.

I live out in the Yuma foothills which is pretty much where the Camino Del Diablo ends. I've been planning to do that ride from Ajo to home but so far haven't made it happen. August is hot hot hot, so plan on hitting the trail early. Ill keep any eye on your trip thread and PM you my address if you'd like. Give you a place to stop over, have a beer and jump in the pool after that ride.

I live out in the Yuma foothills which is pretty much where the Camino Del Diablo ends. I've been planning to do that ride from Ajo to home but so far haven't made it happen. August is hot hot hot, so plan on hitting the trail early. Ill keep any eye on your trip thread and PM you my address if you'd like. Give you a place to stop over, have a beer and jump in the pool after that ride.

YES... Please PM me an address.

I plan on getting the bike serviced in Tucson @ Permormance Cycle Center on September 9th. I hope to have that finished by noon at the latest so I can still make it to Ajo, AZ in time to watch the video and get my permits to cross the Diablo. If this all goes as planned I will hit the trail early the morning of the 10th and will be at your place later that afternoon.

What's your knowledge of flag requirements for the Diablo?? I called them last week but the lady was not there who had this information. I will call her tomorrow but was just wondering if you have the details.

If I do; that's another hoop I'll have to jump through on the 9th.

Hope she says plated vehicles don't require one....but I think I know what the answer will be.

Thanks for the information and your hospitality.

Vic

No flags required. Up until a couple of years ago bikes weren't even allowed on the Camino, 4 wd only. You have to stay on the trail and especially that time of year the only activity you will see is border patrol or immigrants. The western end of the trail is actually in the Barry Goldwater bombing range but your permit is good for both. You can order the permits through the mail and not have to worry about it in Ajo. The permit is good for a year. You also have to call a particular number to alert the range that you will be out there that day.

Www.peakbagging.com/BMGR.html is a good site on the route and the permit process.

Great information. Researching it now.

I did find this today while trying to find flag answers.

http://www.peakbagging.com/CabezaPrieta/CabezaPrietaRegs.pdf

Do you have new information or know someone who has rode it lately and NOT had to use a flag?

I know they lifted the banned dates for the ProngHorns.

I have a POC at Ajo and was going to call her tomorrow for the skinny on the flag.

The final word when getting a Permit in Ajo is.... A flag is required along with the permit plus watching a safety movie. Also have to call BG Range and advise them of your permit number and licence number.

That's the deal. It was also advised to "carry" while crossing.

thanks for the info!