Sign in to follow this  
Bruce

Oruxmaps

After seeing a bunch of people at Mikes Sky Ranch using their Android phone for GPS tracking, I decided it was time to go a little higher tech.

I've loaded Oruxmaps on my Android phone, set up folders in mapfiles, and loaded Maps Creator, but now I'm stuck. I can't seem to get any Baja maps in the right format into my maps folder.

The maps that Maps Creator can access do not cover Baja, and it won't let me go to Google Maps. When I create a offline google map, it's in the wrong format for Oruxmaps to read.

Does anyone know an easy way to get a Google map into the Oruxmaps format?

- Oruxmaps used to have google maps but recently ran into licensing issues I believe and they had to remove that feature on their last update.. To get it back, as well as google hybrid & satellite, is a very easy hack (replace one file on your sdcard by the one I will send you, pm me your email address). FYI the file to replace is called onlinemapsources.xml

- I havent used that feature but I am pretty sure you can simply download some google maps views directly from the phone to make them avail offline. that way you shouldnt have compatibility issues. I cant comment on custom maps either, never done that. I just upload some vector map files that i find online into my sd card and they show up in orux in offline mode, easy. BTW if someone has a nice vector map of baja....

let me know if i can help some more Bruce, oruxmap is a great little app I think. it opens and records kml/gpx tracks pretty nicely too.

You Da Man! I am now Google maps capable.

Now if I can just figure out the download thing..................