Chris in Wildomar

2 days of awesome riding ended at 1:30pm Sunday...Broken Fibula

Left Tecate yesterday around 8am heading to mike's trying out a lot of new Single track, some of it from Dana's past ride. Great day of riding and great taco's and beer at Ramon's (Saw Mill) for the gas stop.

Got into Mike's around 5 to a not so crowded place at that point which was really nice. Enjoyed the traditional steak dinner and excellant service.

Got up at out of there around 8:30 and headed north for some more exploring new to me, tracks. and was not disappointed. Made it back up to Saw Mill for quick gas up around 12:30 and all were ready to take the easy way back to Tecate. Around 1:30 and the place listed on my delorme here my bike hit a rock that I swear that friggin grew right out of the ground.......the bike went down hard on its hard and my boot was twisted back to the rear........OUCH I knew I broke something as it was pretty painfull.

Got me to the side of the road and comfortable as possible. Two of my buddies took off to Tecate to get the trcuk and two others stayed back with me for comic relief and moral support. 4 hours later myself and bike are loaded into the truck and off to the border/hospital.

Made it Kaiser Zion around 11:30. Worse pain in my life was them taking my boot off (Gaerne G10') that broken leg with no Pain Meds. (they had to see it before giving me pain meds).

out of there at 5:00am with a groin to toes temporary cast and with instructions to call Ortho to setup appt this week and prepare for surgery. Looks like this is going to be a Rod in the ol leggage.

What did I take out this.......

It can happen at any time at any place. Be as prepared for this as you can.

Satellite Phones!! Indispensable insurance and a HUGE comfort factor.

Carry up to date Pain Meds for just this reason/chance of needing them

Here are my DeLorme tracks you can see where I went down. Easy sweeper :(

https://share.delorme.com/ChrisStone

Sorry to hear this. When you settle in and if the bike needs tweaking, lemme know. I can wrench while you point and holler directions.

Dang that sucks. Carrying anything other than over the counter pain meds really isn't an option for me as I get random drug testing. Saying I broke my leg while riding and self medicated isn't going to be a good enough excuse for them.

Glad to hear you at least were able to make it back into the states.

Sorry to hear this. When you settle in and if the bike needs tweaking, lemme know. I can wrench while you point and holler directions.

Your awesome Ken!! Thank you for the offer, ill definitely take you up on it. I still am amazed that me and the trusty DR made it up the goat trail in one piece! :)

Not what I want to hear when I am getting ready to go later this week.Glad your in good spirits.

Nobody in the group had a "SPOT"?

That had to be a horrible 4hr wait.

Sounds like what I did, Fibula, rode home , crawled in , wrapped it , drove to the hospital in the morning. Bad mistake, lots of pain and hard to concentrate and drive, thank god for valet parking at Kaiser. Take all your pills, exercise do's NOT help heal a broken bone, crutches SUCK. Liquor is not advised, lay down and stay down.

Heal quick.

Uncle C.

Nobody in the group had a "SPOT"?

That had to be a horrible 4hr wait.

Hi Mike,

yes we had one SPOT and two Delorme InReach, Plus I have the Binational Emergency Response, could have used any of them. But honestly I was OK in terms of the pain, plenty of daylight and didn't just think it would be a 4 hour round trip to get the truck. Maybe next time ill call the BiNational EMER response team. Having the SAT phone was the best investment and provided for the best peace of mind. HIGHLY Recommend someone always carry one when down there.

Sounds like what I did, Fibula, rode home , crawled in , wrapped it , drove to the hospital in the morning. Bad mistake, lots of pain and hard to concentrate and drive, thank god for valet parking at Kaiser. Take all your pills, exercise do's NOT help heal a broken bone, crutches SUCK. Liquor is not advised, lay down and stay down.

Heal quick.

Uncle C.

Holy CRAP! How in the hell did you even move!! As long I kept still pain was manageable, Moving it caused way too much pain. You are my hero for sure!!

Thank you for the advice as well! My appt with Kaiser Ortho folks is Thursday. more to come.

I am sure yours was worse than mine, if it wouldn't have been for electric start I could not have started the bike. I am also stupid, Later I thought about internal bleeding etc. , you took the smart route.

Damn dude! Sorry to hear this, the biggest bummer now is trying to keep the cast dry. Make sure the doc gives you a temp handicap card for the car so you can park close to wherever your going. Your gonna need a lot of shampoo.......

Sorry to read this.....take your meds....work the rehab....come back stronger/better than before.......

Guest Crusty

I saw your pic in Tecate, sorry it ended bad.

Heal up quick, thank's for the tips.

Craig.

Heal fast man. I need another Baja riding partner. Cabo 2015.

I can say with all sincerity, I feel your pain. Do your rehab, take your meds, listen to the docs (Unless they tell you to stop riding).