Sign in to follow this  
Covered in Dust

Wandering around

Went wandering around the desert over the weekend with a friend in his jeep. Looking at old military camps and looking for good motorcycles routes to Havasu. I think we might have wandered onto 29 Palms Military base by mistake and into a live fire range. As long as we were already there we figured we might as well look around.

This is where we started, it's called Big Rock.

IMG_0657_zps97145981.jpg

There were lots of these old blown up tanks.

IMG_0667_zps06438050.jpg

And thousands of these laying around

IMG_0673_zps741ecf30.jpg

Plus lots of bigger bombs

IMG_0676_zps6d183cae.jpg

IMG_0682_zps0de06394.jpg

IMG_0686_zpsd1ffb258.jpg

We though we were in trouble when these guys came by but they just waved and went on their way.

IMG_0688_zpsf8b0929e.jpg

IMG_0691_zps3e045fe4.jpg

We tried to get back to the 40 thru Lavic Dry Lake but there were 2 helicopters shooting missiles at something on the lake so we thought it would be best if we found another way out.

Then on Saturday we probably missed Crawdaddy and Riggerdan by an hour or two up in Chloride AZ. Edit, well after looking at Riggers post I guess they didn't make it up to Chloride this trip.

IMG_0709_zps5fe915d5.jpg

That BSU-86 bomb fin was made in 2006, which means it was probably dropped in the last year or two...I could've loaded it! Definitely looks like a neat trip!

Looks like you found some sweet stuff out there. The rock mural is very cool. Just a heads up though if you find yourself in places you maybe shouldn't be again..some of that stuff could be UXO(unexploded ordinance) with the potential to take a hand off or worse. Pics are cool, but picking junk up especially with fins is just adding more risk. Having worked on several desert training bases and received the safety briefs, I'd prefer you stay safe and in one piece as you make good posts! :good: