orange UP

Places to dial in bike

I just traded the 690 enduro for a 300 2 smoke. I need to find someplace to start dialing in/learning the bike. Where is a good place to take a bike to start working the suspension and figuring out the bike characteristics? Never had to worry about places to ride that don't require a plate before. Stepping into completely new territory and am stoked.

Try Lark Canyon OHV at McCain Valley. Between 3000-4000 feet elevation, lots of nice trails, whoops in the sand washes, and rock piles to climb over.

I concur...lots of options right next to the parking area...sand, whoops, rocks, climbs, singletrack.

Depends on what you are trying to dial it in for? Trails then yeah what they said..

Desert? Plaster City (my fav) is where all the pros go to dial in their bikes in the fast stuff.. Lots of everything and its just off of the 8 freeway and easy to get to!

That is a single track weapon. As mentioned above Lark and coral canyon are great places. Im still dialing in my 300. Hit me up we can go smoke it up!

Looks like a trip or two to Lark is in my future. I'm off this week, but busy, so will probably head out there maybe Thursday. Already have plans this weekend, but will keep my eyes open for rides next weekend.

OU - Head out to Ocotillo Wells, north of the Blue Inn ~ 2 hrs from Escondido...pretty good mix of terrain to test out the new ride...sand washes, whoops, hill climbs and jumps...

The other one I'll mention simply because it's significantly closer to you is Orosco Ridge up off of Pamo Rd in Ramona. The terrain isn't ideal (graded dirt and fire road for the most part) by any means but you can legally ride an OHV there. It was useful for shaking down my YZ before making the trek out to the desert.

Pri 1)

set up the suspension properly. spend $ for proper springs to get proper sag settings (fr and rear).

Local, Suspension 101 is a good resource in Alpine

PDS bikes (W) are very rear sag critical.

the local cadre standard is 38-40mm static static when you have 105-110 race sag (that is the common PDS race sag range)

Factory connection goes with 118-120mm of rider sag and 40 - 45mm of static sag, that never worked for me because I am a bigger size rider I tend to sit further back on the seat, my PDS settings were always to the short side closer to 105 race sag and sometime less.

I am stating very strongly this because so many people all over this all mighty intertube say how badly their bikes handle.....KTM PDS bikes have been winning championships since the early 2000s, when set up correctly they will handle and work correctly.

The KTM 300's are great but incredibly flexible in set up so definitely worth spending the time to adjust to how you want it.

As Rob said before doing anything other than basic break in get the correct springs for your weigh front and rear and set shock sag around 110mm as staring point.

Next look at jetting, most KTM 2 strokes come a bit rich as standard so OK for break in but even at sea level they spooge so depending on where you will normally ride leaner jetting will be needed, 162 main, down 2 on needle and 2 out on AS is a good start IMO for McCain/Corral Canyon. And both these places are great to paly with different settings, the power valve preload and different springs have noticeable changes so worth trying and easy do on the trail.

Fell free to PM me if you have any questions.