I bought a KTM 520 MXC and the first thing it needed was a new battery. There has been a lot of talk about the new Lithium-Iron batteries and how much lighter they were. So I decided to buy a Shorai to replace the lead acid battery that was in the bike. The battery was $159 for the LFX14L2-BS12 recommended by Shorai with higher cold cranking amps. I got the new battery and it was smaller and lighter and came with some foam thingies to fit my battery box. After a couple of months the battery would not hold or take a charge. I tried to contact the company several times and they finally gave me a RMA number to send the battery back to them. Three weeks later they sent me an email stating the battery was bad and a replacement was on the way. About 10 months later the same thing, dead and will not take a charge. I sent several emails and finally get the required RMA number and send it back. I get an email from them stating the second battery was bad and how I should never allow the battery to go below 13.1v, I guess it should come with an alarm. The letter goes on to say they would send me a replacement battery for 50% off MSRP (Another $80 bucks). I asked for a refund of 50% MSRP and they refused. So basically they wanted $240 for a battery that only last less than a year and leaves you without a functional battery most of the time waiting for them to give you permission to send in or testing it. You could buy almost 7 lead acid batteries for that price and probably will not be stranded as much.

Three year Warranty my ASS!!

The Battery is a big P.O.S. and so is the company customer service. If this was my only mode of transportation I would have lost my job. They have the battery and all I have is the feeling of being screwed out of $159 and without my motorcycle most of the time. I now have a glass mat battery like my RV, Harley and hot rod. They have not let me down like Shorai has. :torch:

Rant over.

I hate paying to be a Ginny pig. Thanks for the info.

I know a few here have bought them. Has anyone ever had a trouble free experience with them ? Mabey in 20 years they will be reliable but it is criminal that they sell them to unsuspecting riders. My Ktm is nine years old and is on its second ( oldschool ) battery.

That said it might give out next weekend ! :heh:

bummer, I've got a 3 year old turntech battery, still works fine, sits for extended periods but always fires right up. its one of the new fangled light weight ones and its from a guy named joe on ktm talk not some big ass company. try one if you want a light battery that won't die.

http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

EARTH-X it has a built in cell balancing patented circuit for charging. I went through 2 Ballistic batteries (both were comp for testing) before going with the Earth X

Do your research. Earth-X will rise to the top. I got mine from ZipTy Racing, they use Earth-X in all their race bikes, Ty Davis does not suffer fools or foolish moto endeavors, his choice Earth-X.

Another top tier factory race team use Li battery is the Dutch made Super B

I think I've had my Shorai for 3 years. It sat in the box for 9 months then i put it in the bike and fired it right up. It still sits for 3 or 4 months at a time and still cranks the bike up quick whenever I push the button.

I think that's pretty much trouble free use.

John didn't you have a rant a year ago when Shorai told you cold temps will kill the battery?

I think I've had my Shorai for 3 years. It sat in the box for 9 months then i put it in the bike and fired it right up. It still sits for 3 or 4 months at a time and still cranks the bike up quick whenever I push the button.

John didn't you have a rant a year ago when Shorai told you cold temps will kill the battery?

+1 i have three shorai batteries in 3 different toys. I am sure one will fail eventually, but so far worth it. I had terrible luck with lead acid. I had to change every 1-2 years. My truck had acid batteries that went 10 years, that I could live with. Maybe the problem is the ktm not the batteries.

Guest Crusty

Maybe the problem is the ktm not the batteries.

Coffee on screen! :heh:

Had a Shorai in the 690 for two years, No Problemo. They are very light.

I have a POS Earth-X in a box, never used asking $125 no tax. :-) La Mesa ETX12A

I had similar experience to Carguy, (in a honda), finally had to sell the bike because it wouldn't start.

No more Shorai for me!

It really does come down to the bike. Most dirt bikes and particularly the ktm rfs motors have very weak charging magneto's. The voltage varies all over the place and drops off dramatically at idle. Add a fan or some other load and it gets really bad. The Lithium iron batteries don't tolerate it well. The newer KTM's come with 185 watt 3phase magneto's that provide a much more robust output.

bummer, I've got a 3 year old turntech battery, still works fine, sits for extended periods but always fires right up. its one of the new fangled light weight ones and its from a guy named joe on ktm talk not some big ass company. try one if you want a light battery that won't die.

http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

+1, I have several turntech's that have never let me down. I will definitely purchase more of them when the time comes.

EARTH-X it has a built in cell balancing patented circuit for charging. I went through 2 Ballistic batteries (both were comp for testing) before going with the Earth X

Do your research. Earth-X will rise to the top. I got mine from ZipTy Racing, they use Earth-X in all their race bikes, Ty Davis does not suffer fools or foolish moto endeavors, his choice Earth-X.

Another top tier factory race team use Li battery is the Dutch made Super B

I've had an Earthx for a little over 2 years. Been flawless! I've never hooked it to a charger. I believe they also have the longest warranty out of all the batteries. Might be different now, but when I bought it they did.

I use one. No issues. I used it on my plated XR 250R because the little Baja Designs battery pack could not keep up with the lights, grip heaters & GPS system. I totaled the bike, I now use same actual battery in my KTM 450EXC.

One of the riders in DV crashed. His bike was sideways/ upside down. Fluid flowing out. Battery acid was flowing out the Lead Acid battery. I don't know why you guys would want to put that in your bike. You should as least change it to a gel battery.

I'm cool with AGM batteries but the Lightweight lithium batteries haven't sold me yet.

The new lithium type batteries have a trait that bothers me a bit. When some of them die they drop off a cliff and can't be saved (as carguy stated). The Earth X has a protection circuit that saves the battery. But it still is stone cold dead. An AGM battery will give you a little warning (slow cranking, etc.).

Lots of poeple have the new type batteries and love 'em, and they work great if your charging system treats them right.

My next battery will be a replacement of what's in there now. Yuasa YTX4L-BS. it weighs 2.9 lbs and costs $40. Kept on a trickle charger they last a long time.

The lithium's are 1.7 lbs and cost $150-$170

Heck...If I have frys with lunch it will add 1.2 lbs

I have a Turn Tech and 2 Shorai batteries and have had good luck W/ both . I had to use the Shorai warranty on one but I think the problem was W/ my KTM stator going bad . Now I see that Turn Tech Joe has closed up shop , I don't know why he had a quality product .

The ktm I bought from pmb had a dead Shorai in it with a 2012 date written on it. There might be something to that rfs charging thing.

My new OE replacement cost $25.00 is very small and should last 3 yrs like the old one did. I have way better things to spend $150.00 on!