boat440

Death Valley Ride-11/10 & 11/11

The ride will be suitable for "Adventure riders" with large (>600CC) or above bikes, but the preferred choice is a 250-450 CC bike. The terrain will be 99.9% OFF-ROAD having a mixture of fire roads, hard pack, loose/rocky terrain, sandy sections and whoops-we will see it all. I would rate the difficulty as intermediate, due to the length and varying terrain conditions, but not due to the technical demands. Your bike must have a minimum range of 85 miles(unless you plan on carrying gas).

This ride will start in Ridgecrest off of the I-395. The goal is for us to meet Saturday, 11/10 at 8:00AM, gear-up and be riding by 8:30.

There are some inexpensive motels in Ridgecrest and ride up the night before or you can ride up from San Diego early Saturday morning. It is about a 3.5 hour drive. The 2 motels I found are below. It is your choice:

Rodeway Inn

131 W. Upjohn Avenue , Ridgecrest, CA, US, 93555 | Phone: (760) 384-3575

$49-62 per night

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites

201 W. Inyokern Rd. , Ridgecrest, CA, US, 93555 | Phone: (760) 446-2551

$62-89 per night

post-2031-1193812624_thumb.jpg

Ridgecrest is home to China Lake Weapons reserve. The Blue Angels frequently practice over the famous bombing ranges. Ridgecrest is also the gateway to Death Valley. We will start off by heading east towards Trona for 35 dirt miles, a good warm-up. We will ride thru Searles Dry Lake bed and Pinnacles National Monument Park. Our first gas available/rest will be at the Texaco in Trona. We will have to make a decision in Trona. I selected 3 routes for the next 47 to 59 miles. There will be a choice of hard, dirt and road only routes. Hopefully we will have enough riders to break-up into small groups and have all 3 routes ridden.

The Hard route will parallel the Death Valley National Park. It will go pass the Trona airport and head east toward the DV mountains. The trail will take over the small mountain range thru Manly Pass. You will climb a moderate 1200 feet to 2900 ft maximum. There will be some rocky sections with only moderate climbing requirements. We will pass several canyons and Stockwell Mine as we make our way to the Post Office Spring Dry lake bed. It will then be fast, easy riding along the lake bed. We might stop at “Warm Sulphur springs” or “Indian Ranch”. The final leg will take us to Pamamint Valley road with about 15 miles of pavement (sorry) to our next waypoint, Pamamint.

The dirt only route will consist of an unimproved desert road. This will be the most sand oriented route. It will border the western mountains of DV. The majority of this route will follow the famous Nadeau Trail in Revenue Canyon. This trail offers spectacular desert scenery locked between 2 tall mountain ranges. This route will pass multiple canyons and deserted mines gradually climbing to 2589 ft at Ash Hill. This route has the shortest pavement traveling less than a mile on highway 190 to the town of Pamamint.

The road only route will also offer spectacular scenery. The route will start on the Trona-Wildrose road and intersect into the Pamamint Valley road finally ending at highway 190, then only a few short miles to Pamamint. It is the shortest route at 47 miles.

All the routes will converge to a small town on Highway 190 called Pamamint. There will be another gas available. We can have a quick lunch while all the route riders arrive to this waypoint.

At this point it is another 68.3 miles to Lone Pine for the dirt only route or an easy road only ride on highway 190 to route 136 then another 20 miles to I-395 and the motels in Lone Pine.

We will then ride another 68.3 miles to Lone Pine passing Owens Lake, Sierra Clouds, the famous Salt Tram and Cerro Gordo. “The tram was constructed between 1911 and 1913 to provide economical transportation of the exceptionally pure salt deposits from the salt lake in Saline Valley to Owens Valley where it was milled and shipped via rail. The 13.5-mile aerial wire rope tram was electrically powered and capable of carrying 20 tons an hour. The tramway operated from 1913 to 1918, again between 1920-21, and later in 1929 and 1936. The ownership changed hands four times during this period. The cost of operating the tram proved uneconomical.

The tramway was a remarkable engineering feat. It was the steepest tramway in the United States, rising from 1100 feet in the Saline Valley floor to 8500 feet at the Inyo Crest, then dropping to 3600 feet at Swansea.”

We will climb to 8500 ft (the best view for Saline Valley) at the highest point and settle for 4000 ft Lone Pine. Lone Pine is a "big" desert city, sporting a few motels, a few places to eat even a small airport.

Important you will need to reserve a room quickly. The Best Western and Econo-Lodge have sold out for 11/10. The Comfort Inn below has rooms available. Please act quickly:

Comfort Inn

1920 South Main Street , Lone Pine, CA, US, 93545 | Phone: (760) 876-87

$72-94 per night

Lone Pine is also known for the portal to Mt. Whitney. But it's probably best known for it's gas stations as it's about half-way to Mammoth Mountain from I-15.

We will spend the night in Lone Pine. Hopefully we can get some adult beverages and maybe play some cards while discussing our day’s riding adventure.

The next day we will head south east towards Ridgecrest. We will cross the I-395 multiple times as it will always be close and parallel to our end destination. Our first gas available and lunch will be at Olancha at 82.5 miles. Again for those that cannot make the desert riding, there will be quick escapes to the I-395 highway to Ridgecrest. We will pass many solar generation farms, 2 ghost towns and large wide open expanses of land only seen with an off-road vehicle. This includes fossil mountain, cinder mountain, the county jail and little lake hotel, built in 1910.

Bring an overnight back-pack along with your Camelback, jacket, rain gear and spare tubes/tools. I would like to have a pre-ride meeting to s/u carpools and meet everybody.

Please contact me (PM) with your interest. You will need to reserve a room in Lone Pine quickly. If you have a Garmin GPS I can load the tracks for you. I will print out a few maps. With the fires out let’s concentrate on riding. Many of the local riding areas will be closed for some time, so now is a good time to head to DV for riding. Bring a camera and a great attitude and let’s have a great, great ride and adventure. With your participation we can make this “the ride” to talk about. Steve...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

$72-94 per night

You missed some numbers.

Rexeverything just reserved a couple of rooms in Lone Pine for Saturday night. They are for Rexeverything, Joliet, Schwinn and Hammer.

The plan (so far) is to carpool up early Saturday morning.

What is the reason the trail does not go through Death Valley? The reason I ask is that I am only going to get one chance to ride up there this year and I want to see as much as possible. Ken

$72-94 per night

You missed some numbers.

I'm glad somebody is reading these posts. Nice catch.

The phone number is 760 876-8700

Thanks, Steve...

Rexeverything just reserved a couple of rooms in Lone Pine for Saturday night. They are for Rexeverything, Joliet, Schwinn and Hammer.

The plan (so far) is to carpool up early Saturday morning.

What is the reason the trail does not go through Death Valley? The reason I ask is that I am only going to get one chance to ride up there this year and I want to see as much as possible. Ken

Good.

Ken, We can make some changes to include DV. Steve...

Rex, Hammer, Ken, Schwinn are you for a pre-ride meeting next Tuesday night?

Does that work for everybody?

We can pick a central location. Any suggestions?

Steve...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

How could I miss a ride with these COOL CATS. :D

I still got to get the hall pass. I cant wait till my wife gets home. I surfed all day today , and now I want to ride all next weekend, I can hear her now. ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Got the pass Bros. I am in. I gota spend the rest of today kissing but. :D

My wife gave me a list of her wants. ;):D

Steve...

My daughter is in a play on Tuesday evening, but I should be free any other evening. What city are you in? We are in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista, and Escondido. I don't care where we meet as long as they have a cold Miller Light available ;). Ken

Steve...

My daughter is in a play on Tuesday evening, but I should be free any other evening. What city are you in? We are in Oceanside, Carlsbad, Vista, and Escondido. I don't care where we meet as long as they have a cold Miller Light available ;). Ken

Ken,

I spoke to Schwinn (Steve) and he's also unavailable Tuesday. How about Monday? I'm also in North County so Carlsbad works great for me. Let's plan on Monday 7:00pm, name the place? Steve...

Guest Hammerin Hammon

We have bike night every Wednesday night here in Carlsbad from 5:30 -8:00 At Cafe Elysa On PCH. in the Village. We sit by the fire and talk about rides and bikes every Wednsday. We usually line the bikes up right in front, by the fire pits.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Will pizza port work? It is right in the village, at Carlsbad Village Drive and Roosevelt. Any other ideas?

The Port is a little on the loud side, but they do have my favorite beer. (Carlsbad Chronic) ;)

Will pizza port work? It is right in the village, at Carlsbad Village Drive and Roosevelt. Any other ideas?

The Port is a little on the loud side, but they do have my favorite beer. (Carlsbad Chronic) ;)

Settled,

The Pizza Port in Carlsbad, Monday 11/5, 7:00PM

Would like to try some of that local brew, Steve...

Guest Numbskull

OK I'll see you guys mon. nite Michael

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I just got home from the riders meeting, and I cant wait to do this ride.

Met Boat44o, KLRoger , Joliet and Numbskull.Everybody was realy nice. I think this is going to be a very fun ride.

I got to see a 07 TE 610 and could see the close resemblance to the Aparillia. Congrats. Roger

Everyone kept asking if Pyro was doing this ride (whats up Pyro) Lets do it.

I am excited about the hard ways, and 200+ miles Saturday and 150+ miles Sunday

JUST GOT HOME FROM 4 DAYS OF RIDING OUT OF LONE PINE. CHECK OUT THE ALABAMA HILLS CAFE NEXT TO THE PIZZA FACTORY FOR BREAKFAST AND THE MERRY GO ROUND FOR DINNER. RIDE ON!

I just got home from the riders meeting, and I cant wait to do this ride.

Met Boat44o, KLRoger , Joliet and Numbskull.Everybody was realy nice. I think this is going to be a very fun ride.

I got to see a 07 TE 610 and could see the close resemblance to the Aparillia. Congrats. Roger

Everyone kept asking if Pyro was doing this ride (whats up Pyro) Lets do it.

I am excited about the hard ways, and 200+ miles Saturday and 150+ miles Sunday

Nice bike Roger. I'm jealous. I need to try it. You inspired my friend Daryl last night that he bought a KTM.

today. No Husky's available. He will also be joining us. That makes seven of us.

I 2nd Craig's comment and am looking forward to the ride. I'll bring the cards for Saturday night. Anyone up for Texas Hold'em or Hearts?

The start point is a the Comfort Inn in Ridgecrest at 8:00 AM. The location is:

Comfort Inn

507 S. China Lake Blvd.

Ridgecrest, CA, US, 93555

Phone: (760) 375-9732

Waypoint: N35 36.973 W117 40.197

See everyone on Saturday, Steve...

Hey Steve, you didn’t tell Daryl that he could have bought a near new 08 KLR 650? :) He is such a big guy he could manage that bike! Tell him congratulations for me. Whichever KTM he got I’m sure he will manage well.

I uncorked the 610 a little going home last night. :D That bike likes to be reved up! I just received the skid plate from uptite today. I hope to get the hand guards tomorrow and put them both on as well as change the oil.

Hopefully James and Papaalex will join us to make nine.

Hey Pyro how about you. You could maybe show us how to park in snow. :D

Roger

Who is going up there friday night? I am not super keen on the Idea of getting up at 3:30 to get there early saturday morning. Please let me know.

Who is going up there friday night? I am not super keen on the Idea of getting up at 3:30 to get there early saturday morning. Please let me know.

I am with you on this one, lets try and get ken and craig converted to leave friday...

Mapquest says it is a 3:13 drive up there and I think they figure 55mph. We should be up there in under 3 hours with a pit stop. If you load you bike (into Steves truck) Friday evening you should be able to show up in Escondido at 4:45 and be fine. Steve does that sound right? I show 195 miles which usually takes about 2:45 to drive.

If anyone else is driving up Sat. morning and wants to Caravan we should pick a place to meet, like the park and ride at Deer Springs and the I-15(west side of the fwy). There is gas and snacks there (anyone know if they are open at 5?). We would need to be pulling out of there by about 5:10 acording to my figures.

Maybe you guys going up Friday evening can give us a call or email if there are any delays or road construction.

:) It's going to be great. Ken

Has anyone called to see what the Motel situation is in Ridgecrest for Friday? Steve are we doing lunch today to discuss this? :) Ken

Has anyone called to see what the Motel situation is in Ridgecrest for Friday? Steve are we doing lunch today to discuss this? :) Ken

I just made reservations for Friday nite at the Comfort Inn (get the triple AAA rate). The clerk said that as of right now (10:30am wed) they have plenty of rooms open for Friday. I’m going to drive up after work. Map Quest says the trip takes almost 4 hours from El Cajon. Roger