paulmbowers

Current Communication Equipment

I use earbuds dedicated to music.

I've not found another way.

I have some pretty good ones that double as ear plugs when no music playing that i have used for years riding just hooked up to an ipod. Very comfortable and no trimming of brand new helmet! :)

Maybe i will unsolder harness and install another plug to bypass the speakers that came with kit.. Or......?

I just loop the helmet cable back on itself and zip-tie the plug to the cable. As for the speakers I have used a dremel tool with a burr bit to carve out a pocket in the helmet foam for the speakers. If the speakers are causing you discomfort they will really be annoying by the end of a long ride. I don't think the foam around your ears is critical to the helmets performance but that's a choice you need to make. In my 6D helmet it's a little more difficult due to the suspension system that the 6D has. In that case I took the speakers out of the cloth\foam covers. Then I cut the cloth that covered just the front side of the speaker and hot glued it over the speaker, then hot glued the speaker into the helmet. This makes the speaker assy much thinner and it does not contact my ears whatsoever. Done a couple of hundred miles with this setup and so far it has held up well.

Thanks. Its all being installed in a BRAND NEW never worn Shoei VFX-w after replacing the one from my yard sale that has a hole in it, ha!

Dremel to the speaker area foam sounds like an option, i will take a closer look at it.

Thanks

I dremel'd the area out in my Shoei and the Bell that I destroyed in my crash. Both worked fine. The 6D is a little different animal. Still it's hard to convince yourself to take a dremel tool to a brand new helmet.

RR makes a kit without speakers, just a 3.5mm jack. But the nature of the radio means the two channels will be shorted into one- mono. :dead:

There is a very neat gadget - I know how you like them- called a Mix-it that would serve the purpose nicely- stereo quality for music, pots down the music for incoming radio signal, then returns the volume after the radio signal is complete. All audio can be delivered to the earbuds.

But it seems too complicated for me, and I've not bought one.

I just sing to myself when I ride:). Now if you ride with Paul he will sing to you in which case you will wish you did not have ANY speakers!

RR makes a kit without speakers, just a 3.5mm jack. But the nature of the radio means the two channels will be shorted into one- mono. :dead:

There is a very neat gadget - I know how you like them- called a Mix-it that would serve the purpose nicely- stereo quality for music, pots down the music for incoming radio signal, then returns the volume after the radio signal is complete. All audio can be delivered to the earbuds.

But it seems too complicated for me, and I've not bought one.

Yeah, thats a neat gadget, and i do love me some gadgets, but its not $160 worth of neat! :)

I'm thinking this will be my answer:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=382_466_470&products_id=290

Okay so I have a sena smh10r in my wife and my helmets. Wanted to do the ham radio thing.found online pryme blue bluetooth communication. Bought one to see if it works and I'm blown away! It's all wireless

Okay so I have a sena smh10r in my wife and my helmets. Wanted to do the ham radio thing.found online pryme blue bluetooth communication. Bought one to see if it works and I'm blown away!

I'm working on similar and will post up soon after it's done.

The helmet headset itself is on sale for $50 (~1/2 off). Great deal if you want a headset for a second helmet and don't need the rest of the harness.

Yes. That's a good deal. The only disadvantage (quite minor) is the RCA style push-to-talk setup. Most riders have been using the nexus style connector, so the ability to borrow a PTT switch is a little limited.

Not a big deal, but just FYI.

Thanks for the input. I just made the purchase.

Heads up!

Rugged Radios has the helmet kit (speakers and mic) on sale through today for $55- about half price. Perfect for that second helmet.

Also interesting- my favorite PTT http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294&products_id=78 is on clearance sale. Strega, this is the one you need...

This is important not just because it's a good price, but I suspect they are going to eliminate the Nexus plug for PTT and go to the RCA. That's not a problem- many good reasons to do that- but if you have a Nexus (the big 1/4" connector) like most of us you will soon be limited in replacement options. They've already discontinued the bar mount style that Bagster likes as well.

I suspect it's much cheaper and simpler to offer only Velcro mounts, which often suck on a motorcycle.

Heads up!

Rugged Radios has the helmet kit (speakers and mic) on sale through today for $55- about half price. Perfect for that second helmet.

Also interesting- my favorite PTT http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294&products_id=78 is on clearance sale. Strega, this is the one you need...

This is important not just because it's a good price, but I suspect they are going to eliminate the Nexus plug for PTT and go to the RCA. That's not a problem- many good reasons to do that- but if you have a Nexus (the big 1/4" connector) like most of us you will soon be limited in replacement options. They've already discontinued the bar mount style that Bagster likes as well.

I suspect it's much cheaper and simpler to offer only Velcro mounts, which often suck on a motorcycle.

Thanks for the tip. Mine is bent real bad and the plastic cover came off. Glad I saw this today.

RR stopped selling my favorite PTT. I've been making my own for some time using a switch made by APEM. They have been very reliable however lacking two things I would prefer. One a little longer button travel and two some tactile feedback. I recently came across another harsh environment rated switch made by CK. It has a longer travel and more importantly tactile feedback (i.e. - it clicks when you push it). It lacks an option for a rubber cover like the APEM but it is IP67 rated meaning it is good to submersion in 1 meter of water and has a dust tight seal. I have machined my own mounts in the past so I just adjusted the dimensions a bit for the new switch. The mount is made from an aluminum 7/8" motor shaft collar (McMaster- Carr #6436K139) for the bar clamp portion and the switch housing is machined from .75" diameter al rod. The two pieces are tig welded together. All ready to try out on the Tuesday Borrego ride!

post-286-0-41980500-1414978138_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-41901000-1414978142_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-39945800-1414978147_thumb.jpg

post-286-0-86368700-1414978133_thumb.jpg

In my experience it's the switches. In the early days Baja Designs and others were using some pretty cheesy switches. The current offerings all seem to be much better quality. I don't know the specs on the switch that RR sells but I assume it's pretty good and it does have the option of the button condom. Might be a good choice. I've never had a Nexus connector fail. We've got 4 helmet headsets in the family and been using them for at least 5 years without issue. Skygeek is a good source for Nexus connectors if you want to roll your own. Mouser carries the APEM and the CK switches.

http://www.skygeek.com/nexus-tj-102-in-line-microphone-jack.html

PbdBlue, how did your custom PTT work out on Tuesday?

I like the ingenuity! Any interest in making a couple for sale if it could help offset your costs?

PbdBlue, how did your custom PTT work out on Tuesday?

I like the ingenuity! Any interest in making a couple for sale if it could help offset your costs?

Worked flawless. BUT only rode 50 miles so maybe more testing in order. I may make a batch of them depending on interest. The parts alone cost me $35 - $40. I work at the pace of snail so I don't think I'm going to be funding my retirement making them!