Boston Mangler

Anyone here have the brand new 14 KTM 500EXC?

Contemplating buying one. A lot of the guys i race with tend to blow up their orange bikes fairly frequently, but everyone seems to rave about the new 14 EXC500.

Anyone here actually own one??? Haven't been able to find anyone that actually has one, just a lot of "My buddy has one and loves it" type of stuff! :)

Thanks

Kevin

RJ said he sold 28 or so of them and wished he could get many more.

Mine is a 12'. Only difference in 12' vs. 13'....black wheels on 12'

Don't know if there is any difference from 13' - 14'

Only "issue" I have with mine...."rake" on front end is at a sharper angle. Have been riding Honda's for so long I was used to the longer wheel base.

Causes the rider to stuff the front end harder in turns.

I say "issue"....but it is a rider issue. I need to ride it more to get used to it or, buy different clamps that change the degree of rake. In the meantime I will ride it

I'm picking up a '14 350 exc-f here on the 22nd, going with the 350 over the 500 because I'm not a big guy ~ 150lbs and I ride technical stuff rather than wide open desert...

Curious how many 350s RJ sold. I would bet more of the macho 500s than the Slo Poke 350s.

whistle.gif

Slo poke 350s, you are going to hurt somebodies feelings, I know a guy with one in La Mesa.

Thanks Guys! Sorry for the clueness, who is RJ? Does he have anymore?

Thanks

Kevin

Curious how many 350s RJ sold. I would bet more of the macho 500s than the Slo Poke 350s.

whistle.gif

biggrin.gif We talked about that very same thing and while I didn't ask the number of 350's he had sold I would guess less. We both agreed that the 350 would be the bike of choice for us old guys.

He said the 500 is the only bike he sells that he knows the exact final selling price down to the penny because that is the one bike he does not bargain on price having a such a high demand. Your mileage may vary.....

Contemplating buying one. A lot of the guys i race with tend to blow up their orange bikes fairly frequently, but everyone seems to rave about the new 14 EXC500.

I love how you're rationalizing your purchasing options.

Welcome back. :lol:

I love how you're rationalizing your purchasing options.

Welcome back. :lol:/>

Yeah, the older Orange bikes seem to grenade fairly easy when pinned at redline a lot (seen 1/2 dozen in the last year in person). Cost a wad of cash to fix too!

Hoping the new ones are more bombproof.

Never owned orange, but i want Estart, plate, trails, and go fast... Soo.... :)

Im looking to pull the trigger on a new 500 exc also. KTM says change the oil every 500 miles and adjust the valves every other oil change? Sounds to fussy for me. Hoping to hear otherwise.

I change my oil on my DIRT (and dual sports) bikes after every 2 rides regardless of mileage..

No opinion about the valves.. I'm not a KTM guru and only have about 250 miles on mine. (I truck it places)

Yes, oil changes- the bike takes about a liter of oil, which will get trashed pretty fast. Change it early, change it often.

Valve adjustments, nowhere near that frequently.

Yes, I think the bikes are fussy, and like a good woman, worth every bit of it.

Every. Single. Bit.

Just got mine. It is a huge improvement over earlier EXC models. It pretty much resets your expectation of what a good off road bike is. It's in another league.

ktm_zpsa932e906.jpg

And once you bob the tail and break those mirrors, you will take the next step.

:shiftyeyes_anim:

I like those graphics ...jazzy.

Whats the payments on somethin like that?

Very pretty..I will keep dreamin...

Just got mine. It is a huge improvement over earlier EXC models. It pretty much resets your expectation of what a good off road bike is. It's in another league.

ktm_zpsa932e906.jpg

I agree... I've owned almost one of every dirtbike made at some point.. My new 500 is my first orange bike and gotta say, it's night and day better than ALL of the others!

Enjoy!