Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Frustration with Volunteer Work

I've been making calls and checking websites on how I can donate my time to help out at evacuation centers or temporary animal shelters, and it's difficult to just be able to go somewhere to jump in and help out. Nowadays, you must go through training or red-tape just to volunteer some time.......it's very frustrating to me.

So, I guess I'll have to get the training needed ahead of time to be able to help out in the next emergency / disaster situation.

The way it looks right now, is that the only way I may be able to help quickly, is by donating $$$.

I know. I did help at Home Depot, they folks there need feed for horses when i stopped by. I went home got truck went ot feed store they loaded truck for free and dropped it off.

I was in lakeside i was just riding around and came across this rode that went up the hill, the police were at the bottom stopping people i talk to them for a few. they then asked me to ride and check for anyone. When i came down they said thanks and i was on my way.

I tried from the 1st hour to help, i went to Santana, the Q and all over. no one wanted the help just wanted money.

I told the admin at the locations that i was Coast Guard for 8 years and have Search and Rescue training.

All they would tell me is they have enough people to help, please give money.

I think when the clean up starts the residents will not turn any help away, they will need it.

Dont take it too personal. Because of all the lawyers, there is just too much liability at risk to accept help, food, etc... from "non-approved sources". Just the way it is.

Well, I shoulda known.....Face to Face works best !! Instead of wasting time on the phone and internet calling these places, my time was better spent driving to them. I drove to 2 of the local Temp Animal Shelters near me, and the woman from Animal Control at the Lakeside Rodeo said they'd love to have a hand this weekend. So, I'll be going there this weekend to help water the horses, and clean up as they leave.

Good news is, people and animals are going home. They were maxxed out at the Rodeo with 400 horses, and they're down to 100.

Nowadays, you must go through training or red-tape just to volunteer some time.......it's very frustrating to me.

So, I guess I'll have to get the training needed ahead of time to be able to help out in the next emergency / disaster situation.

Food for thought, Randy

http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/oes/community/g...T_contacts.html

Spyder