FuzzyNugs

Honda wants to know your ideal Offroad Motorcycle

I found this link on another site, but Honda is running a survey to find out what your ideal Offroad Motorcycle is. Sounds like there may be some new models in the future following the CRF250L success...or they are being drowned in orange kool-aid and have no clue what to do :lol:/>

http://www.hondasurveys.com/se.ashx?s=41783EA57771339B

Crusty, this is your chance to tell Honda how you really feel about that 450 Rally.

I found this link on another site, but Honda is running a survey to find out what your ideal Offroad Motorcycle is. Sounds like there may be some new models in the future following the CRF250L success...or they are being drowned in orange kool-aid and have no clue what to do :lol:/>/>

http://www.hondasurveys.com/se.ashx?s=41783EA57771339B

Crusty, this is your chance to tell Honda how you really feel about that 450 Rally.

Oh man...I can only HOPE they are done with bleeding orange, and will make:

Two REAL plated, light-weight, high horsepower dual sports- think the original WR series, but with plates. We know they choke up the WRs from the factory (need a grey wire, throttle stop, air box, etc) so go ahead and do THAT Honda! Maybe even a 500 for the desert- I've seen the KTM500 a few times now, and they look sweet, with light weight and a serious brap!

A dirt worthy adventure tourer-parallel or V twin, with long legs, and good ergos

But...I have a feeling they will:

Make a 450L, and it will be soft and heavy

They will add new clothes to the 700, and call it good.

Sigh

Guest Crusty

I am More than happy with my Honda's

The 230 F is so much fun, it will soon be plated.

I was going to ask them for a V twin, but it wont be as good in the dirt as the XR. 650L

After riding with Surfnride on his triked out 250L I would like one of those.

His bike rocked on the most technical terrain around.

I would ask them to bring back the CR 500 and the XR 650 R with E start,

Thats it.

Guest Crusty

I thought of something.

Rat Rods are the new thing at the beach.

d31de052597b21a42ee5ba8192989816.jpg

Thats it.

Why would you bring anything back when you have KTM as an option…….

biggrin.gif

Guest Crusty

Thats it.

Why would you bring anything back when you have KTM as an option…….

biggrin.gif

Not an option.

Your comparing apples to oranges, LOL.

The XR650R and CR 500R are Bullet proof.

How about one of these with a 700cc. XR motor and Seat Concepts,

I will get it plated.

honda-launches-dakar-assault-with-the-new-crf-450-rally_2.jpg

What ever happened to that Honda video that had some spy shots of something mechanical roosting around.

They never brought it out . New ATV ?

What ever happened to that Honda video that had some spy shots of something mechanical roosting around.

That's what I was kind of saying...

"The700cc engine in a dualsport..."

"The 450 in rally clothes..."

No doubt Honda is always considering a lot of good ideas, but they are run by bean counters, not soichiro...(spelling?)... they want every commercially available bike to make a profit, so they don't want to take any chances; they'll let the smaller brands figure out the market, then they'll jump in at a later date, throwing some parts that have already been proven to be financially viable, and cob together some new "safe" bike

I picture an R&D lab in Japan with a bunch of brilliant passionate bike lovers, and they all hate the Business Analysis geeks over in corporate because every new bike gets shut down as "too risky"

Guest Crusty

That's what I was kind of saying...

"The700cc engine in a dualsport..."

"The 450 in rally clothes..."

No doubt Honda is always considering a lot of good ideas, but they are run by bean counters, not soichiro...(spelling?)... they want every commercially available bike to make a profit, so they don't want to take any chances; they'll let the smaller brands figure out the market, then they'll jump in at a later date, throwing some parts that have already been proven to be financially viable, and cob together some new "safe" bike

I picture an R&D lab in Japan with a bunch of brilliant passionate bike lovers, and they all hate the Business Analysis geeks over in corporate because every new bike gets shut down as "too risky"

Bottom Line.

To make a profit on a model, Honda needs to sell more than 150,000.

To put that in perspective, More than KTM and Husky combined sell on their best year.

They do still offer a CR 500 though, but it's farmed out, to Service Honda,

and there are plans to add e start.

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/2014-Service-Honda-CR500AF,1263065

2014cr500afr_zpsa0e5ac53.jpg

2014CR500AFright_zps7b659f6d.jpg

Bottom line is Honda cares more about the bottom line than making great bikes. This is a complete 180 on what built the company in the 60's thru the late 90's. Maybe they can get back to their former glory and built bikes that work for the way people ride today.

CiD

Marketing wise, build a more consumer/pedestrian version of the rally bike as an adventure bike. ADV is a very fast growing moto segment. They will sell these like hotcakes all over the world, think US, Can think Australia and think EU where they love rally/ADV type bikes and start to think India/China/Russia as well.

Honda-build a series of maybe 3-4 in the line, of street legal competitive enduro 4 strokes in for sure sizes 250,300,450,500 and maybe add a 400 or 350 in there as well. This line puts you head to head with the Euro brands that have taken over that market segment. That would give good coverage in the 3 FIM enduro categories (E1,2,3)and give a great line for consumers to choose from. (CRF-X E line but plated that can be easily stripped for racing like my TE310 Husky).

Its been done all ready big time by the Italian importer for years, HM Moto, which has ceased to produce their multi time world champion winning super beetchin Honda based enduro specials, leaving a cool model line big opening for Honda OEM to fill. see example below of the 300cc CRE-F300X, my personal fave (named by HM Moto). HM no longer has any of these models on their website for 2014(bummer). They had built EU compliant 250,300,450 and over bore/stroked 450s all F.I. all euro street legal/FIM enduro compliant bikes.

http://www.edmondson-racing.co.uk/prods/hm-moto-cre-f300x-enduro-2013.html

I will add that really they may want to re enter the 2 stroke market as well with typical Honda super refined FI 250/300cc platform in 2-4 models (2 enduro, 2 MX), they only need to look at the EU brands (TM,Beta,KTM,Husky,Fantic,GasGas etc) to see that 2T machines are still big in demand for dirtbike consumers.

the late Mika Ahola's HM Honda world championship bike over view

Ps done- the survey.

I've ridden two CR500s, the acceleration is similar to my RXV550, the chassis vibrations are best compared to a Sybian. I think I lasted 5 minutes the second time before I gave up on it. Sorry to say it, worst motorcycle I've ever ridden. It lives on in legend.

Here is what I told Honda I want in an offroad bike.

450cc, fuel injected, wide ratio transmission, usable stock headlight, suspension comparable to the Kayaba Speed Sensitive system, electronic engine tunability from sedate to race ready, oversize front brake rotor, adjustable "rider compartment" similar to the Kawasaki KX450F,

From what I see with Honda's (and some of the other big 4) manufacturing plan is that they build complete bikes that do not share many, if any, components. That does require them to sell 150,000 units to make a profit. Now, from what I understand, KTM as an example uses common parts throughout their lineup and changes cylinders, heads and transmission gears for whichever bike they build. Cases, frames, swingarms, etc. are the same parts. Yamaha finally got with the program with the WR using the previous YZ250F frame and the current YZ-Fs sharing a frame and swingarm. One reason I bought the YZ-F is the transmission from the WR is nearly a direct replacement. The gears will all swap out. However first gear is part of the output shaft but the shafts and gears will drop right in. That is not the case with any other Japanese brand dirtbike.

I told them that I. wanted a mid sized bike that turned really well in the tight stuff, but still handled quite stable on the straights. It should have both electric and kick start and a six speed transmission. I didn't care how sophisticated the aspiration system was,as long as it worked, and the engine should have lots of torque. I wanted suspension with enough high speed float to make square edged ruts and rocks controllable and comfortable to ride across. I also said that I preferred two stroke power over four stroke power. Just sayin'.... :coolio:

I'd like to see a relaible, non-finicky lightweight Adventure bike- think a Honda 500EXC. Cush hub for streetability, making it a possible short-commuter grocery-getter, but with enough stones to tackle a dirt road or moderate singletrack.

Anyone remember the TransAlp? Or something like the XT750

All without the "thoroughbred" manners and maintenence of the KTMabergs.

I want the XR650l repackaged. I would like xr650l to have fuel injection. I would like the front forks to be more offroad capable(crf). I would like the 2nd gear from xr600 and the 5th gear from the nx650. I would like an oil cooler. I would like modern guages and lights.

I want the XR650l repackaged. I would like xr650l to have fuel injection. I would like the front forks to be more offroad capable(crf). I would like the 2nd gear from xr600 and the 5th gear from the nx650. I would like an oil cooler. I would like modern guages and lights.

Would that close the 1st to 2nd gap?

Why no 6 speed?

Agree with all the rest...sounds like a winner

honda_zps7c0e4aae.jpg

Those intakes make me uncomfortable.

If you only knew where the exhaust was routed!

honda_zps7c0e4aae.jpg

Those intakes make me uncomfortable.

Your incessant singing would act like a supercharger for those intakes!

:ph34r:/>

The XR600 had no gaps in the gearing. The tranny was was perfect for that sized motor. I'm surprised Honda didn't use it on the XRL.

THe XR600 was/is a really slim pig compared to the 650L & 650R. Tastes great, less filling. A nice, air cooled, do-it all moto.

I'd like to see a relaible, non-finicky lightweight Adventure bike- think a Honda 500EXC. Cush hub for streetability, making it a possible short-commuter grocery-getter, but with enough stones to tackle a dirt road or moderate singletrack.

Anyone remember the TransAlp? Or something like the XT750

All without the "thoroughbred" manners and maintenence of the KTMabergs.

TransAlp is a great bike, good friend in Wales has one and couple of years ago I changed the leaking fork seals for him then had a nice test ride, fun for sure, so smooth and powerful but for me too heavy to really ride off road.

Funny but many may think of me a bleed orange KTM fan and while I generally like their bikes the best bike I ever had was a Honda, 1976 TL125. Trials bike of sorts but not serious, 8bhp but amazing engine that was indestructible, a free flowing exhaust and lot of other mods probably added 50% to power and I broke the frame so many times but to be fair the bike wasn't designed to be raced and jumped that much. Then it spent a year or so taking me 60 miles each way to college each week, flat out basically the whole way at 60mph on less than half of the very dented 1 gallon tank. As it never had a speedo no idea of many miles or hours it did, put in a few pistons and rings when came on a good deal, can't even remember that it got a rebore. It taught me a lot and was very disappointed that my dad sold it a few years ago for next to nothing.

It is the 2nd and 5th gear out of the NX650. Closes the gap and extends out the top end. Why not a 6sp - They already have good gearing if you change out those two gears. Also they would not have to spend any money/ time to change anything with the motor. This bike has been created many times by the 650l die hards. The only thing they have not done is get the FI down. They are working on it.