Sign in to follow this  
gpskevin

TransAmerica Trail now LA to NY option

Very interested but not this year/summer.

Interested in the C-Ball run style, just to do it :coolio: , though I have family in TN and GA would probably end the trip there.

FWIW, I downloaded the tracks and checked them out from LA to eastern CO. This route follows this year's LAB2V hard way into Sandy Valley and through Red Rock into Vegas. My 3rd time doing that Sandy Valley stretch and next year I'll definitely go around this. Think never ending gravel/marble washes. Then going UP Red Rock with fully loaded big bikes? No thanks.

^This^ just has me wondering what the rest of the route is like (and that's a good thing) and what folks riding from east to west will think of the western sections if they include terrain similar to these LABV bits.

Cool ride, fun to scheme B)

^This^ just has me wondering what the rest of the route is like (and that's a good thing) and what folks riding from east to west will think of the western sections if they include terrain similar to these LABV bits.

I think they will get a taste of what we do dirol.gif just like we will when we hit miles of muddy slop and slick tree roots blink.gif....biggrin.gif

http://transamericatrail2010.wordpress.com/

Endless viewing pleasure.

They are talking that the old route was 5000 miles. OR to TN. It's gonna be a long ride with the extra thrown in.

I don't know about 400 miles a day...???

The best avg I could pull in Idaho was about 25mph. A 250 mile day was putting most people over 12 hours a day. Start in the dark; finish in the dark.

Will not stop me from trying though.

So I'm reading this report and I'm on Day 8 right now.(out of like 30) They started with 6 guys and as of day 8, 3 of the guys are already out due to broken bones.

This report is awesome!

Has anybody calculated the mileage for the LA to NY TAT? I haven't had the chance to download all the gps files and add it together. Maybe it's posted somewhere and I've missed it?

As for Cannonballing it, big tank, big headlight, comfy seat, quiet pipe, warm sleeping bag, bivy, waterproof jacket and huevos!

Okay, first...you cannonballers are crazy

Second....once you get past the Rockies your mileage per day should go way up!

In this video by GPS Kevin he rides the original TAT from North Carolina to Oregon and takes 28 days to ride the 5,200 miles across the ol US of A.

Has anybody calculated the mileage for the LA to NY TAT? I haven't had the chance to download all the gps files and add it together. Maybe it's posted somewhere and I've missed it?

As for Cannonballing it, big tank, big headlight, comfy seat, quiet pipe, warm sleeping bag, bivy, waterproof jacket and huevos!

This is not an exact but I'm pinning it to be right near 6000 miles. OR to TN is 5000 miles.

A fast time is about 3 weeks to complete. (over 200 a day for 5000 miles)

The challenge of the whole ride aside from that many miles everyday is just dumb luck and odds. That distance and that amount of time; something is going to happen. The amount of luck you have when it does happen seems to be the deciding factor for most.

One vid; dude hits rock, drives off cliff....done. Another report; shallow stream crossing over road covered in slime. Rider wads up; broken hand, ride done.

Engines explode, huge re-route due to nature, list goes on. How many pictures have we posted on SDAR where you're "just" riding down a open dirt road when BOOOYA happens???? Billions! So much time for so much to happen.

That said: Shipping bike to Fayetteville NC about $900. This is the closest KTM dealer to the start of the trail in NC. Flight from SD to Fayetteville is $202.00. The airport is near the shop so upon arrival just go to the shop and assemble the bike. I've decided on the NC route cause I have zero desires to see NY.

Hard call on the way back. Continue to OR or take the split South across the Des.... keeping it open. I really like the mountains to the North but that will just keep adding the miles.

Goof, you down or what?

WARNING******

Do NOT read Goofs 90s attachment!!!

I made the mistake and I'm on my bike riding EAST right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO AWESOME!

Luck and odds plays out in a lot of these distance type deals. I've seen people plan for weeks/months/years for trips only to have them end due to some crazy quirk. I have wanted to through hike the Pacific Crest Trail, and so many things can happen that would end that trip. Sometimes it's best just to go for it.

The challenge of the whole ride aside from that many miles everyday is just dumb luck and odds. That distance and that amount of time; something is going to happen. The amount of luck you have when it does happen seems to be the deciding factor for most.

I've done the TAT from eastern Colorado to Oregon coast ....rode the 950 the entire trip....took a leisurely month off to do it....with a few days at Uncle Camerons house in Oregon.

I want to do this LA to NY ride for sure....maybe in 2015....unless things pan out this year.

Most everybody rides East to West. On the website for the original TAT map by Sam he explicitly states do not attempt to ride West to East. (it's not like it cannot/has not been done, I don't know why he says E to W). The SD to NY is the most intriguing route to me. Imho at 5,000 to 6,000 depending on route, you better have a nice destination in mind if you're going to Cannonball it!

SD to NY ~6,000 miles at 400 miles per day = 15 days

NC to OR ~5000 miles at 400 miles per day = 12.5 days

I'm trying to put the distance/days in perspective. I still need to read Cannonball Baker's journal reports - he must have put down some serious miles once he escaped the desert/mountains.

Nooo!... what the **** kind of moped video is THAT? Mag wheels, fuckin' forks on the peds, chase van with chicks. If I wasn't 50 I'd be key-westing it next year.

Excellent addition Kevin. With my recent return to the Homeland(Virginia), you can be sure I'll be trying out much of that eastern section once my bike thaws :lol: I'll have to download the actual gps files, but from the crude google maps display, it looks to go right through my county. Anyone willing to venture this far...will have some cold beers waiting for ya.

Nooo!... what the **** kind of moped video is THAT? Mag wheels, fuckin' forks on the peds, chase van with chicks. If I wasn't 50 I'd be key-westing it next year.

Here you go Dave! I never got the impression you were one for rules and convention - send us a postcard from Key West next year!

PINBALLRUN083013-21.jpgPINBALLRUN083013-20.jpg

Excellent addition Kevin. With my recent return to the Homeland(Virginia), you can be sure I'll be trying out much of that eastern section once my bike thaws laugh.gif I'll have to download the actual gps files, but from the crude google maps display, it looks to go right through my county. Anyone willing to venture this far...will have some cold beers waiting for ya.

I bet the TAT Los Angeles option runs really close to Ft Irwin... I hear Mojave is lovely in March! coolio.gif