Beezzz

Buying a Jeep & a RV

My wife and I want to Jeep and hike. We definitely do not know anything about it. What forum should we look at to learn about what equipment to buy? Anybody into jeeping? A club you recommend? How about a "ride along" offer?

- Brian

You mean you are wanting to be one of THOSE guys? You know the ones who always slow us down and get in our way on the trails! I'm just kidding of course :lol:

I don't know much but I do know a pretty stock jeep can go a lot of places! I know you can go crazy and get into a lot more. It's a fun time but I personally get bored as the travel in groups is usually painfully slow for me. Have fun

http://www.socalultimate4x4.com/

A used Jeep Cherokee will be one of the least expensive entry level vehicles, they are very capable and sell for a lot less than a Wrangler. Samurai's are awesome off road machines, but will require some owner input since they are older.

It really depends on what you want to do, rock crawling or just putting around the desert.

I bought a Wrangler back in 2001, thinking that I was going to start replacing motorcycle trail riding with Jeeping. I had fun for a while, and did a lot of exploring. Finally, after flipping the darned thing, and having it repaired, I lost interest in off road exploring with it. What I found to be true for myself, was that it was fairly tiring to bounce around all day at very low speed, then even more tiring to not be able to get out of the vehicle I had just spent all day day in, for the pavement drive home.

I think I would spend more time in it to explore the lower desert these day, since I detest riding motorcycles in sand.

100_0549.jpg

My wife and I bought a Jeep a few years back and love it. I get to ride out and find beautiful places on the bike, then come back later as a day out in the Jeep. Look for a Jeep in the 2000 to present era. They have many important improvements past 1999.

Good Jeep Links

http://www.tds4x4.com/

http://www.justruns.com/

http://www.best-jeep-guide.com/

20130126_161135-SM.jpg

Enjoy!

When we towed a jeep I found it a bit limiting , do we jeep or ride. I didn't want to tow a big flat bed, so this is my set up. Toyota 4x4, been using this set up for about 6 years. I been in the dunes of Oregon to the rocks in Moab. I can put three vintage bike or 2 modern bikes with no problem.

1538754_10201312101753692_197485661_n_zps36e3ed04.jpg

I'm also in the market for a Jeep Wrangler. I'm looking at a new Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X. Probably way more than I need for exploring old mine sites and looking for meteorites but it's what I want.

CiD

imagesascchuscom_zps2937a8ec.png

What kind of RV are you looking for - I have a couple (We bought a bigger one recently_ and I'm selling my Class C (its a 2001 Coachmen 31QB Santara) with 34k on it - wondering what rig you're interested in to tow the Jeep.

I love my 2000 wrangler, and get it out in the dirt several times a year.

Check out Justruns.com or sdjeepclub.com I've run with Just runs, and have heard good things about SD jeep.

I'd offer to take you out for a run, but after this weekend I don't get to have any fun until April.

Posing in Fish Creek

What kind of RV are you looking for - I have a couple (We bought a bigger one recently_ and I'm selling my Class C (its a 2001 Coachmen 31QB Santara) with 34k on it - wondering what rig you're interested in to tow the Jeep.

The smaller the better. 21' - 24' size class C.

When we towed a jeep I found it a bit limiting , do we jeep or ride. I didn't want to tow a big flat bed, so this is my set up. Toyota 4x4, been using this set up for about 6 years. I been in the dunes of Oregon to the rocks in Moab. I can put three vintage bike or 2 modern bikes with no problem.

Just bring the whole kitchen, not just the sink. Envy!!!

My rig is a similar setup. 32' Winnebago + Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. I have a Joe Hauler type carrier I built that attaches to the back of the motorhome frame for the bike and then tow the Xterra behind that. Works very well but I don't think I'd try to haul two bikes on the back of ther motorhome. I have had one bike on the back of the motorhome and one on a Joe Hauler on the back of the toad. Used to 4wheel in a Toyota Tacoma before the Xterra. The Tacoma was a very capable offroader but finally it came time to replace it. The Xterra has so far proven to be very capable. Basically similarly equipped drivetrain, ground clearance, etc as the Toyota FJ. Maybe not quite the offroad prowess of the Jeep but close and better behaved on the freeway. It's my daily driver so I wanted something a little more comfortable. Don't have a picture of the complete rig but here's a pic of the MC rack.

12118307273_9ed20dae58.jpg

arizona05 044 by pbdblue, on Flickr

My rig is a similar setup. 32' Winnebago + Nissan Xterra Pro-4X. I have a Joe Hauler type carrier I built that attaches to the back of the motorhome frame for the bike and then tow the Xterra behind that. Works very well but I don't think I'd try to haul two bikes on the back of ther motorhome. I have had one bike on the back of the motorhome and one on a Joe Hauler on the back of the toad. Used to 4wheel in a Toyota Tacoma before the Xterra. The Tacoma was a very capable offroader but finally it came time to replace it. The Xterra has so far proven to be very capable. Basically similarly equipped drivetrain, ground clearance, etc as the Toyota FJ. Maybe not quite the offroad prowess of the Jeep but pretty close and better behaved on the freeway. It's my daily driver so I wanted something a bit more comfortable than the Jeep. Don't have a picture of the complete rig but here's a pic of the MC rack.

12118307273_9ed20dae58.jpg

arizona05 044 by pbdblue, on Flickr

I just bought a Jeep and trailer, but haven't figured out how to take them both with me to the desert at the same time. Too bad the Jeep doesn't have a larger towing capacity.

I like the Jeep for taking my kids around on trails, but if I'm by myself I'd rather be on the bike.

Rubicon.JPG

Trailer.JPG

I agree with the lack of towing capacity on the Jeeps you normally see on the trails. I had to go with the Commander with the 5.7L Hemi to get the 7400lb towing capacity I needed for my toy hauler. The factory front and rear electric lockers were just a bonus but the cab width is a curse for the trails. I also have a home built hitch hauler for the day trips. I keep telling them to offer the 5.7L in all models but they have their reasons.

Trailer.JPG

The exact trailer I want since the wife/daughter don't ride anymore. Nice on the inside, front garage with a fold down bed, push out master bed in the back. Allows you to garage the bike but not in the main living area. Great unit.

I bought a Wrangler back in 2001, thinking that I was going to start replacing motorcycle trail riding with Jeeping. I had fun for a while, and did a lot of exploring. Finally, after flipping the darned thing, and having it repaired, I lost interest in off road exploring with it. What I found to be true for myself, was that it was fairly tiring to bounce around all day at very low speed, then even more tiring to not be able to get out of the vehicle I had just spent all day day in, for the pavement drive home.

I think I would spend more time in it to explore the lower desert these day, since I detest riding motorcycles in sand.

100_0549.jpg

Well said. I am feeling the bounce.

Trailer.JPG

The exact trailer I want since the wife/daughter don't ride anymore. Nice on the inside, front garage with a fold down bed, push out master bed in the back. Allows you to garage the bike but not in the main living area. Great unit.

Does this unit have a name?

Carl

My number one concern with buying a trailer was to make my wife comfortable so I could get to the desert more often. This layout really helps.

I think the 1997 and newer TJ Jeep Wrangler with the Six cylinder is a good way to go. Back in the day I had an 98 Sahara that I towed behind a 1989 class c and it was a nice set up. I have a wrecked 04 Rubicon buried in the garage (bought that way) that I need to build. If possible the jeep you get should have a select trac trans - (the one that is not full-time 4wd) and if possible the Dana 44 rear-end. I am not up on the newer stuff as I am a big fan of the old inline 6.

As far as the motorhome goes that is tough. I do like the 06 and newer ford V-10 with the 5-speed auto. Class Cs are ok for smaller rigs (under 29') - your carrying capacity is limited by the chassis and tires. Class A's are good for storage and more expensive tires that can carry more load. I run an old 79 440 Vogue 33' class a. I do work on it frequently and it gets 6.7 MPG. But the other day when I hooked a tree with the rear bumper and bent it at a 45 I did not care. I broke out the torch, heated it up and bent it back.

If you find a nice used jeep you probably won't loose much money on it if you decide to sell it. It is easy to loose money on Motorhomes. Good luck