SCHWINN

FIRES - OLD

I called the radio station and offered my home when the fire first started, they sent me to Red Cross, Red Cross told me they don't recommend private houses. I went down to Qualcomm stadium and tried to volunteer my house, and they didn't seem too thrilled either.

There seems to be an air of corporate butt-covering that's slowly invaded our culture over the last 20 years, even in emergencies. Many fire departments used to be volunteer, now they let the pro's go in, many of whom (but certainly not all, thanks to those who don't) seem to have the air of "Don't get sued, whatever you do" right beneath the surface. I think this has hurt us all a bit. "Your Safety" usually means "Our Deniability" et cetera. I secretly wonder if little organizations like ours can roll that trend back a bit, if people unite and help each other, and spread that out in a community, I think we'd all be better for it, but that's the Don Quixote in me :blink:

Anyway, I'm happy that people used this forum to help each other, really makes me happy on these occasions that we started this :)

There seems to be an air of corporate butt-covering that's slowly invaded our culture over the last 20 years, even in emergencies. Many fire departments used to be volunteer, now they let the pro's go in, many of whom (but certainly not all, thanks to those who don't) seem to have the air of "Don't get sued, whatever you do" right beneath the surface.

Nobody wants to admit THEY were wrong, THEY screwed up. It is always smoebody else's fault. In the Navy they encouraged us to pass the buck of responsibility to someone else. Let them take the fall, "Cover Your Ass". CYA, is everywhere. Red Cross told you this because if they don't some schmuck is going to take advantage of your good graces and you'd come home to an empty house. Then of course you'd be after the Red Cross to compensate you for your stuff.

Thankfully there are good semaritan laws and Joe Blow can't sue you for breaking his ribs when you gave him the CPR that saved his life.

Volunteer fire departments still exist. They are generally found in smaller communities that can't afford full time fire crews. For example Laguna Mt Fire Dept is volunteer, my home town in NY is predominately staffed by volunteers.

Glad to hear just about everybody is making it out ok. Snaildarter, I hope your bike is safe too, oh and the rest of the house.

Jon

The house is OK -- fires came within 400 yrds.

We found a neighbor who somehow got back in (during the guard changing at Poway/67 intersection) while there weren't a lot of others waiting to get back in) and they got some fresh food and water for the cats.

So, cats are OK, bikes are OK, and I'm hearing that they may soon be opening the road before they have a riot on the road.

If they keep folks out much longer they'll never get them to leave the next time there's an evacuation. Its been really crazy listening to folks in Ramona talking about it being OK, stores being open, .... and not being able to get home.

Hope we didn't lose too much of our riding areas.

/Fred

People, before you start going nuts with posting photos, please don't start posting photos from other websites and old fires here. Some in the previous post I saw 4 years ago.

Please only post YOUR photos (or from your friends) from the current fires.

Photos Deleted...

My Bad, the photos were sent to me in a e-mail from friend,

............... I "ASSUMED' they were this fire..........................

aheadupassuc7.jpg

Finaly got in to my apartment complex today house was spared , KLR untuched but its got a nice smell to it now :( , we could not have gotten any more lucky than we did the complex next to me that is about 15ft away is toasted my house nothing many, families at our complex lost everything (going to try to post some pics)

You can't kill a KLR by something like a fire, that just taunts it and makes it run longer :angry:

Great to hear your place is OK, with luck like that, I'd visit church....soon, God must like you :(

families at our complex lost everything (going to try to post some pics)

My kids went to the school across the street from your complex three years ago. They use to live in La Terrza with there mom. Kinda strange to think the fire got all the way over there. Must have came up that canyon to the North?

People, before you start going nuts with posting photos, please don't start posting photos from other websites and old fires here. Some in the previous post I saw 4 years ago.

Please only post YOUR photos (or from your friends) from the current fires.

And since photos are not the topic of this original post, we started a new topic for fire photos......some photos moved to that topic.

Thanks

My kids went to the school across the street from your complex three years ago. They use to live in La Terrza with there mom. Kinda strange to think the fire got all the way over there. Must have came up that canyon to the North?

yes its crazy KIP , I think the count is 70 families displaced at La Terraza.Even though my house was spared i am still not back living there because of the severe damage to the place next door, the gable end of the roof could fall at any time,so me and my girl are on the hunt for a new place. ( IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY places FOR RENT 1-2 BED $1400 MAX) My girl works in carlsbad at Invitrogen so no more than 18-20miles from there as far as me i work all over sd (construction)

thanks,Jay