Metal Twister

New Extreme Off Road Bike Tralier... Help Needed

I had to give up the LC4 a few years back due to a back injury. I must admit I really miss riding a lot more than I even thought possible. I have replaced the LC4 with a full sizes Jeep 4x4 to get my off road fix, and while its not an adventure bike it is a good way to escape the busy pace of the shop.

In the last couple of years Ive been contacted to help retrieve a few of you in some hard to reach parts of our So. Cal desert. With the equipment I had it was doable but never easily! Ever since the last episode I have been thinking about getting a off road trailer that was big enough and sturdy enough to accomplish this task. I couldn't find one anywhere in the states. So I started designing what I thought would make the perfect extraction / camping trailer.

I have had some help on designing a brand new never used long trailing arm airbag suspension that is very simple yet works extremely well. This is where you come in... I plan on having this trailer completely self contained with Hot running water, on board air, C.B. and stereo radios. Other than that what else should I put in this thing to make it more usable without going to a big screen? Need Ideas and input as Id like to explore the possibility of building these to sell.

Any input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BengelsPackMule012_zpsc5e09a54.jpg

BengelsPackMule021_zps4fc30bc9.jpg

BengelsPackMule022_zps6f3fe5dd.jpg

Generator spot

Lights

Tie Down Anchors (lots of them or movable ones on a track)

Ventilation

Just a couple thoughts

Fuel for the bikes/buggies whatever.

Helmet racks, Boot racks

Integrated ramp for loading.

Some sort of pivot in the hitch arm or a pintle mount to prevent binding offroad. +1 on the multiple and/or flexible tie down points. Wheels that match the tow rig (looks like you have that covered). Let us know if you decide to produce these for sale!

Your 12v lighting system could be supported by a 'jump station' (lighter that having to carry a deep-cycle battery on board and dual purpose). Solar charger on top would be nice too.

Too many suggestions and ideas pop into my head... with the hot water, fresh (around 100 gallons), black (for facilities 45 gallons), and gray(about 60 gallons) holding tanks. Propane supply for water, house, and cooking heat. Possibly also enough for gen fuel. Gas can mounts as CARB is posing a lovely $25K fine for non-CARB compliant fuel cells on trailers and it cuts out the cost of a fuel pump. The list goes on and on. I'm familiar with the compliance junk that they've been imposing on the RV manufacturers, and have a lot of contacts for the components if you need any, including Onan. A 600 a/h battery bank with 3kw inverter would make it clean and quiet power with the ability to power most anything needed. Cargo area perimeter E-track would be good for tiedowns. I could go on but I won't. (edited for content by Brad) Prior builder, now a repairman.

Tie downs on deck and insides e-track, 6,000lb points every 2 inches. Love mine

E-Track

Mounting point for small air compressor to air up/down. AC/DC inverter to run compressor, Solar shower.

Your shop pic is making me miss that type of work and everything I lost in the cedar fire. Awesome frame up and excellent design. The Viair pumps are an excellent choice. I've got to get around to getting another one for my Jeep airbag setup.

Thanks again guys for the input. It looks like the E track anchor points are the most important thing just ahead of the beer. Personally I could lay the bike down if it came to one or the other! All good ideas and I think I need to put a plan together to accompany all or these things eventually. This trailer is a bit bigger and a bit heavier than the ones that I will be building to sale. I'm thinking this size mainly for recovery, camping, and bug out purposes.

Please take a minute and post up anything else that may come to mind...

Also wanted to let BSon2or4 know how sorry I am that you lost your shop in the Cedar fire. I have a lot of friends who lost everything in that fire. We still are helping folks rebuild when they can. My place is a old steel building and nothing special at all, but it is my shop and Id hate to loose it so my heart truly goes out to you. Hang tough and you will have another I'm sure.

I have been designing a small jeep trailer that I could sleep on top of in a bug free tent, how much do's yours weigh. I would worry about to much weight in soft or uphills with kegs or generators etc.

Uncle C.

Metal Twister, thanks for the sentiment. The only tools that made it out were the welder and plasma cutter that I loaned my brother. Another thought was what are you planning on skinning the unit with, aluminum, composite (FRP or Filon), or soft side (canvas or vinyl)? Just curious on that detail, all have their pro's and con's. Another suggestion, spray on truck bed liner (Rhino, Line-X, or Scorpion) on the floor for clean-up and abrasion resistance. Ideas keep bubbling over from that R&D pan on the back burner in my brain, it'll stop eventually.

Thanks guys and thanks to the Mods here who got me back on the forum. I had a glitch in the system when I tried to change my email address a week ago.

Ive decided to go with most of the options here and as it gets closer to completion I can do the boot and helmet rack. The beer tap may still happen but the silver bullets are so handy and spill proof when crawling over the big rocks. Open cups I think not. Thanks again for the ideas.

A quick pic of the airbag clearance comparison...

BengelsPackMule025_zps57917fc8.jpg

BengelsPackMule026_zps55912502.jpg

I have been designing a small jeep trailer that I could sleep on top of in a bug free tent, how much do's yours weigh. I would worry about to much weight in soft or uphills with kegs or generators etc.

Uncle C.

This one is a bit bigger than one would want behind a typical Jeep. Im running a 74 FSJ Jeep with 38" tires and some serious suspension soon to be a TBI Big Block so the weight and size really doesn't really effect me too much. I will be scaling these down for the average size Jeep.