PbdBlue

Who has a Garmin Montana and.....

I did a search and the last posting on the Montana was over a year ago and everyone had just got them. So now that many of you have had a chance to put it to the test how do you like it? The screen looks impressive. How is the touchscreen to work with on a bike with gloves? I do mostly trail riding. How is it in the dust\dirt? I'm thinking maybe it's time to upgrade my 60CSx.

Just upgraded to the Montana 600 from the Dakota 20.

No issue with gloves on. The larger size obviously takes up a lot of space on the bars, but being able to glance down at speed and see (and understand) the larger display is really nice.

The 600 really doesn't seem to have that many more features than the Dakota, but I felt the bigger display was worth the money.

I ordered the AMP mount for it. The AMP mount supports remote power input, audio instructions for nav, and serial IO. Its also lockable. If you buy an AMP mount, you will need to wire the remote power to a switchable source, or the GPS may drain your battery if you leave the GPS on the bike. You will also have to order interface parts to get the AMP mount attached to your bike. Instead of waiting another week for interface parts, I made a plate to bolt mine to the bar clamps.

No regrets yet.

Just upgraded to the Montana 600 from the Dakota 20.

No issue with gloves on. The larger size obviously takes up a lot of space on the bars, but being able to glance down at speed and see (and understand) the larger display is really nice.

The 600 really doesn't seem to have that many more features than the Dakota, but I felt the bigger display was worth the money.

I ordered the AMP mount for it. The AMP mount supports remote power input, audio instructions for nav, and serial IO. Its also lockable. If you buy an AMP mount, you will need to wire the remote power to a switchable source, or the GPS may drain your battery if you leave the GPS on the bike. You will also have to order interface parts to get the AMP mount attached to your bike. Instead of waiting another week for interface parts, I made a plate to bolt mine to the bar clamps.

No regrets yet.

Thanks. My intention is to use the AMPS mount though I don't need audio or data but I like the quick install\removal. If I decide to pull the trigger I'm going to sell my 60Csx with Touratech mount and my 276C first. Probably offer them up here before putting them on Ebay.

CID - I'm curious does wiping the dust off the screen when riding cause the touch screen to respond and if so how big a deal is it to get the screen back to the normal display?

Yes wiping the screen does move the map. Just a simple one touch to get it back. Very user friendly in most ways.im no expert on the Montana yet but the touch screen is so much better to navigate than the buttons on the 60csx I was using.

CiD

I am using one, only have one ride on it. I was using an Oregon 400t and wanted a larger display. The 400t was great but I really like the 650t. Especially nice is the mount for the Montana. I am using the "Rugged AMP Mount" very nice. I did modify the cable using just the power and connected it using the 2 prong style connector like the battery tender uses. That way I can switch the mount between bikes easily. Also as noted these touch screen version are great in that I do not have to remove my gloves. As far as dust/dirt no worries I had 1000s of offroad miles on my 400t no issues. Note: I did put a screen protector on both units, just to be safe. Using protection can save lots of headaches :D

The Mount prior to modifying the cable.

cf-lg.jpg

Thanks for all the input. Pulled the trigger on a Montana 650T and it's on it's way. Bought the AMPS mount and already mod'd the cable with a two prong SAE connecter like the rest of my stuff. Toying with mounting the AMPS mount on a plate attached on top of the bar clamps. Plate is drawn up and just need to fab it. May put some 4mm vibration dampeners between the plate and the AMPS mount if needed. Or I may just go with a Ram adapter. We'll see once I get my hands on the Montana.

The RAM mount is sweet and easy, however it isnt secure to the bad guys.

Yeah. Had many GPS units with RAM mounts. In general they work well though I never leave them on the bike unattended. At least with the AMPS mount it looks pretty easy to pop the Montana off and stash it in my backpack at lunch stops, etc.

PBDblue, can you post an update and possibly some pictures on your new setup???? I just sold the Zumo 550 off my 950 and am in the market for a Montana and I want to be able to easily move it from bike to bike. Thanks

Used it last weekend for the first time. So far I'm pretty happy with it. There's a bit of a learning curve coming from a 60CSx as some of the functions are laid out a bit different but that's not really a big deal. The touch screen seems to work well and is more readable in the sunlight than the 60CSx. I have a rugged mount screwed onto an aluminum plate I fabricated that bolts to the handlebar clamp. I don't have a picture of it at the moment but I'll be at the Dash this weekend. If you're out there feel free to stop by and check it out. I'll be in a Winnebago Class A (license 4DCN417) with the 350 on a Joe Hauler.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I won't be at the dash because of work schedule.

Used it last weekend for the first time. So far I'm pretty happy with it. There's a bit of a learning curve coming from a 60CSx as some of the functions are laid out a bit different but that's not really a big deal. The touch screen seems to work well and is more readable in the sunlight than the 60CSx. I have a rugged mount screwed onto an aluminum plate I fabricated that bolts to the handlebar clamp. I don't have a picture of it at the moment but I'll be at the Dash this weekend. If you're out there feel free to stop by and check it out. I'll be in a Winnebago Class A (license 4DCN417) with the 350 on a Joe Hauler.

Where did you buy it? At some point I may up my game to the Montana and keep the 60CSx as a backup

Mine arrived today! Mount and power cable as well.. Didn't know they offered a powered cradle, would clean up the install a bit.. Kinda like the idea of just unplugging it to save battery though.

What mount u guys running?

Pump for this thread.

Any comparison between the Garmin Montana amd 276c? There is a 276c for sale post on ADV that looks promising. I know the 276c is tried and true and the Montana has good reviews but what are Your experiences?

I really like my 76cx. A bigger screen and more tracks would be awesome though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Pump for this thread.

Any comparison between the Garmin Montana amd 276c? There is a 276c for sale post on ADV that looks promising. I know the 276c is tried and true and the Montana has good reviews but what are Your experiences?

I really like my 76cx. A bigger screen and more tracks would be awesome though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I used a 276c for almost 10 years and 10k miles of dual sporting through baja, Mojave, etc...

In my opinion, best unit ever made for what we do!! Period!

Mine died a few months ago, so replaced with the Montana 650t.

The main HUGE advantage of the 276c is the use of their Mapsource software.. It is UBER easy to use and very customizeable.

The Montana uses their new Basecamp software and it is 100% garbage, a pain in the ass, and take 5x as long to do anything compared to Mapsource!!!

As for the units, here is my .02

276c pros:

-Screen big and easy to see

-very easy to do any functions

-insanely durable

276c cons:

-horrible battery life if not hard wired

-VERY small memory options compared to new units

-size (didn't bother me)

650T pros:

-touch screen that works with gloves

-satellite images using the Birdseye view are awesome

-AWESOME battery life

-5mp camera

-huge memory

-preloaded with GREAT Topo maps

-perfect size

650T cons

-the software on the PC end of it to get full use out of it is brain damaging poor in design and very tedious

-have to scroll through several screens to do anything unlike the 276c which has hot buttons

That's about all I can think of.. I love the 650t just REALLY hate the software!

If you end up with a 276c, lemme know, I have a really nice Touratech mount for it I'd let go cheap!

Any questions, email me at: sandiegobusa@gmail.com

Kevin

I have both a 276c and a Montana 650t. Love the 276c BUT there is no comparison to to screen visibility and the gps sensitivity of the 650t. Just finished two days of riding in heavy forest and the Montana never lost satellite reception. I use Mapsource with the Montana all the time. Non issue for me. Like the previous poster I am not a big fan of BaseCamp. The screen on the 650t is leaps and bounds better than the screen on the 276c.

Here is a Hair Splitting question. All the screens have improved over the years, My 60csx has a pretty lousy screen when compared to the 62 or the Montana.

And now for the question! We all like the bigger screen of the Montana, but it does take up more dash space. Who has the new improved 62 screen and does it get the job done at about half the price. ( Selling for $199 these days.) With all the 62 series sales around, I wonder if a hand held replacement is on the horizon. I also wonder why in the world Garmin cannot slim down these units; Montana and 62. These things are way thicker than needed.

:cowboy:

Please share your experience., Bagstr

Here is a Hair Splitting question. All the screens have improved over the years, My 60csx has a pretty lousy screen when compared to the 62 or the Montana.

And now for the question! We all like the bigger screen of the Montana, but it does take up more dash space. Who has the new improved 62 screen and does it get the job done at about half the price. ( Selling for $199 these days.) With all the 62 series sales around, I wonder if a hand held replacement is on the horizon. I also wonder why in the world Garmin cannot slim down these units; Montana and 62. These things are way thicker than needed.

:cowboy:

Please share your experience., Bagstr

I just bought a Garmin 78 (took GPSKevin's advice). One thing that I picked up researching before the buy was that the new Garmin 62's have a different OS than the 60's. Lot's of complaints due to the fact that it requires several more toggles through the menu to reach what your looking for on some pages.

post-15028-0-65836600-1403793895_thumb.j

Kevin: The Montana is customizable for the screens and for "quick buttons". I haven't done it yet on mine but did read about it when I got the unit. These things take lots of time to get used to thats for sure. I really liked the Oregon model but the Montana is sweet. It can do so many things and that's part of the problem trying to find all of the commands and figuring them out. Lots of instructional videos on the 650t functions. I found that if I have mine in hand and do the functions as the videos illustrate it helps me remember. A teenager would probably have this thing nailed in a couple of hours with all the added bells and whistles.........

The reception is great on the Montana as stated. Lots of $ but they work good.

I also have a Samsung S4 that I have a couple of GPS apps loaded. That thing is really sweet and is so big and easy to read. I use it as my backup GPS. If I had the time to figure out the software I may just use the phone.

I have both a 276c and a Montana 650t. Love the 276c BUT there is no comparison to to screen visibility and the gps sensitivity of the 650t. Just finished two days of riding in heavy forest and the Montana never lost satellite reception. I use Mapsource with the Montana all the time. Non issue for me. Like the previous poster I am not a big fan of BaseCamp. The screen on the 650t is leaps and bounds better than the screen on the 276c.

How on earth do you do this?? I have tried for hours.. Cant find the device and nothing seems to work