Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Spring ~ March 7-9, 2014

Hey Bum, I'll run some calculations on possible routes. Fuel range depends on loops, you can do plenty of riding with 150 mile range but then again some people link up big 275+ mile days. As for gearing, much of Death Valley is open roads so traditional dualsport gearing will work (as opposed to technical dirt gearing). Last time I ran my DRZ with 4.1 gallon tank, getting 40ish mpg and squeaked by on reserve (the tank design holds gas on the right side of the tank - I have a single petcock so I have to tip the bike over to transfer gas from right to left and get full use of the tank)

I'll try to run some mileage numbers. Maybe somebody else can chime in here and help?

Titus Canyon

282857_10100434561826478_845065450_n.jpg

I'm good with both dates so I am a definite maybe. As far a fuel goes I would recommend a 150 mile minimum, I believe there is still fuel at Stovepipe so that helps. What we really need is a chase truck....I will work on that, if my pops isn't busy he may be down for it.

I'm good with both dates so I am a definite maybe. As far a fuel goes I would recommend a 150 mile minimum, I believe there is still fuel at Stovepipe so that helps. What we really need is a chase truck....I will work on that, if my pops isn't busy he may be down for it.

I dont think they have had chase vehicles in the past. I am sure there will be plenty of tow ropes and people with extraction rigs at camp.

For those going up 395, stop at Fossil Falls (exit Cinder Road). Not your typical SoCal potholes.

My link

:bigeyed:/> cool, never heard of that, thanks for the tip!

Jon, there is lots to explore in DV - I think you'd have a blast up there!

And I know what you're thinking... yup it's totally doable to ride to DV haha. We can talk routes there too.

Either March date works for me. With any luck we won't have the 2012 winds.

Excellent. Do you have any loops and/or points of interest that you would like to see (riding from PSR)?

Is Barker ranch (mansons hideout) a place that is on the agenda?

Barker Ranch is totally doable. I belive it was quite damaged by arson a couple of years ago but I'm up to swing by for a visit. It is just off the Goler Wash trail and is only a few minutes detour off a great loop from PSR to Ballarant ghost town to Goler Wash to Mengel Pass to Coyote Canyon to Butte Valley to Warm Springs to West Side Road to Furnace Creek.

Goler Wash to Mengel Pass is considered one of the more technical sections in Death Valley but shouldn't be any worse than Oriflame or Coyote Canyon south in ABDSP. The ADV n00b rally goes through here.

Here is an Excellent Ride Report with pictures from the exact loop I'm referring to (taken from the 2012 ADV n00b Rally)

7059488539_f29a202b75_c.jpg

another pic stolen from that RR. Death Valley is awesome!

6903864332_dbfba3dff5_b.jpg

It would be great to have you aboard!

For chase truck do you mean recovery vehicle or a fuel truck midway through a Big Mileage loop? A pickup loaded with gas cans would be awesome during a big day!! We would of course pay for the gas and it might be a fun excuse for your pops to do a little dirt exploration through the Park.

Did I mention that there were hot springs in DV? You take dirt trails to get here :cool04:/>

DSC00412.jpg

Looking at other ride reports, it seems there is a mix of riding terrain but more wide open roads. The Dr350 is new to me. My 650l runs all day at 65-70 with plenty low end. The dr350 is geared low so as it tops out around 70. For you that are experienced out there, will that gearing work or should I drop it a couple teeth in the rear and gain some lower rpm top end for the open roads?

I dont think they have had chase vehicles in the past. I am sure there will be plenty of tow ropes and people with extraction rigs at camp.

The purpose of the chase truck is to haul fuel. Typically, the chase rig does not follow the group, it intersects at pre determined road crossings and the like.

Death Valley is a must do ride. There is so much to see. I have tracks from what I rode in 2012. Someone must have a the tracks from previous rides.

Personally I want to check out more of the mines. The best area for mines is in the southeast corner of the park but there is plenty scattered throughout the park in general. I'll put together a map and post it this weekend. I'm looking forward to this.

We have taken a '94 DR350 with stock gearing on two trips to DV along with my KLR. The DR350 stock gearing was fine doing a loop to Hunter Mountain to Tea Kettle/Race Track and Ubehebe crater then slab back to PSR (once on each visit), a loop to Chloride Cliffs and then down Titus Canyon with lots of slab, and a flat loop of West Side Rd and back to camp on slab via Badwater. Did not have a chance to do do lippencott or golar wash with it, but I'm inclined to think the stock gearing would be OK on those too. As for the open roads - the rangers will give tickets, so if you are watching the speed limit then the stock gearing is adequate. The biggest issue was range (there is no fuel at Scotty's Castle), so we carried gas cans and a siphon just in case we had to transfer fuel from the KLR. We just put an Acerbis desert tank (4.2 gallons) on the bike today, so it won't be as much of an issue on the upcoming trips.

Looking at other ride reports, it seems there is a mix of riding terrain but more wide open roads. The Dr350 is new to me. My 650l runs all day at 65-70 with plenty low end. The dr350 is geared low so as it tops out around 70. For you that are experienced out there, will that gearing work or should I drop it a couple teeth in the rear and gain some lower rpm top end for the open roads?

Well I'm in, just put in days off from work for 7th-10th of March. Hope those are the chosen dates. I plan on riding up from San Diego, would like to join a group. I will keep checking in on status.

We have taken a '94 DR350 with stock gearing on two trips to DV along with my KLR. The DR350 stock gearing was fine doing a loop to Hunter Mountain to Tea Kettle/Race Track and Ubehebe crater then slab back to PSR (once on each visit), a loop to Chloride Cliffs and then down Titus Canyon with lots of slab, and a flat loop of West Side Rd and back to camp on slab via Badwater. Did not have a chance to do do lippencott or golar wash with it, but I'm inclined to think the stock gearing would be OK on those too. As for the open roads - the rangers will give tickets, so if you are watching the speed limit then the stock gearing is adequate. The biggest issue was range (there is no fuel at Scotty's Castle), so we carried gas cans and a siphon just in case we had to transfer fuel from the KLR. We just put an Acerbis desert tank (4.2 gallons) on the bike today, so it won't be as much of an issue on the upcoming trips.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the smaller rear sprocket. Better gearing and a 4.2 tank should reduce my need for extra gas.

I have gone ahead and reserved my space for different dates.

GF,

The mines I was looking at are outside Tecopa. That is ONLY 124 miles away just outside the southeast corner of the park. That ain't gonna happen.

According to Mapsource there are a lot of mines in the mountains around Panamint Springs. I'll do some more research. Mines by Panamint Springs.pdf

Have you set the date?

John

Riding in DV, for the most part, is very easy on a small bike. You'll need to have range for about 125-150 miles. That Panamint/Goler/Furnace Creek loop you're looking at is 125 miles from camp/gas in Panamint to gas in Furnace Creek.

Somewhere in the West forum on ADV is a thread about current DV riding conditions. By all accounts the steps on Goler are buried in gravel and shouldn't be a problem at all.

If you ride up there, pretty cool to go via Trono then take the Escape Route / Manly Pass over to Panamint Valley.

Also, GREAT beer selection at Panamint and the restaurant does a breakfast buffet for about $15-20, I think. I've always scratched my head about cooking and eating in the dirt with a restaurant literally right across the street :unsure:/>

GF,

The mines I was looking at are outside Tecopa. That is ONLY 124 miles away just outside the southeast corner of the park. That ain't gonna happen.

According to Mapsource there are a lot of mines in the mountains around Panamint Springs. I'll do some more research. Mines by Panamint Springs.pdf

Have you set the date?

John

If I can go, I plan on making it at least 3 nights and trying to get there early Fri leaving Mon. I would love to do some venturing and mine exploring if you need/ want some one to go with.

MARCH 7-9, 2014

Mark your calendars, make your camp reservations at Panamint Springs Resort - Friday, March 7 - Sunday, March 9 - SDAR goes to Death Valley! You're more than welcome to come early and stay Thursday night or stay late through Sunday night. You can also remote camp in the park if that is your thing.

Here is a quick 1.5 minute teaser video taken over New Year's Eve in Panamint by advrider's "Lost Rider"

Trona Pinnacles (photo taken from gpsKevin's Badwater 500)

DSC01803.JPG

Snow! Pic taken from Crawdaddy's Death Valley Ride a few years ago (PMB and CD in the pic)

img3666zp.jpg

Info on Gas Stations (data taken from ADVrider's n00b rally thread which is a Great resource!)

DISTANCE BETWEEN GAS STATIONS (ALL PAVEMENT MILES)

Olancha to Panamint Springs: 46 MILES

Panamint Springs to Trona: 48 MILES

Panamint Springs to Stovepipe Wells: 31 MILES

Stovepipe Wells to Beatty: 34 MILES

Stovepipe Wells to Furnace Creek: 24 MILES

Panamint Springs to Trona: 48 MILES

Have reservation @ Panamint, arriving Friday evening 3/7, ride Saturday, departing early Sunday.

Excellent Mike! There is opportunity to ride some dirt/fun stuff Sunday morning before you leave. PSR is a good base location for exploring.