Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Spring ~ March 7-9, 2014

Have reservation @ Panamint, arriving Friday evening 3/7, ride Saturday, departing early Sunday.

I too have reservations arriving 3/7 and leaving Sunday (whenever). Really looking forward to my first off-road experience.

This being my first time off-road, is there anything in particular I should bring? My background is either short day-rides, or interstate tour riding.

Thanks. I'm super stoked!

Have reservation @ Panamint, arriving Friday evening 3/7, ride Saturday, departing early Sunday.

I too have reservations arriving 3/7 and leaving Sunday (whenever). Really looking forward to my first off-road experience.

This being my first time off-road, is there anything in particular I should bring? My background is either short day-rides, or interstate tour riding.

Thanks. I'm super stoked!

Welcome aboard Chris. Will you be taking the BMW GS?

I'll start an "IN" list on the first post of this thread.

Death Valley is a massive place, I encourage everybody to quit work and ride/explore there permanently. Ha! Well any extra days you can get in DV is well worth your time. Currently I plan on arriving Thursday night and leaving Sunday late afternoon.

Being that we have both big and small bikes, I'll work on drafting some GPS tracks for both types of rides. Please post whatever GPS tracks you have so others can download them as well and decide what types of rides they want to go on.

DV has rides for everybody and I'm sure there will be multiple groups going riding each day.

IMG_6346.JPG

I'm looking forward to it!

Welcome aboard Chris. Will you be taking the BMW GS?

I'll start an "IN" list on the first post of this thread.

I will be taking the GS - it's a bit too clean looking!

Did I mention that there were hot springs in DV? You take dirt trails to get here cool04.gif/>

DSC00412.jpg

What's the name of this one?

What's the name of this one?

I'm not sure if it has an official name but I see it referenced as Saline Valley Hot Springs. It is just up the road (albeit a long dirt road with miles of splendid scenery cool.gif) from camp at PSR. There is lots to see and ride for both small and big bikes. Are you thinking of coming?

RideApart.com Road Trip: Saline Valley Hot Springs

video background music is optional

Hi, Just found you guys by accident. Looks like I'll be in Panamint Springs the same time as you all - mind if I tag along? Thanks, Greg (I'll be on a KLX250)

Hi, Just found you guys by accident. Looks like I'll be in Panamint Springs the same time as you all - mind if I tag along? Thanks, Greg (I'll be on a KLX250)

Join us! Plenty of room for another rider and plenty of riders to pair up with.

Join us! Plenty of room for another rider and plenty of riders to pair up with.

Great! Thanks for the invite. Any ideas on possible routes?

I am not going to be able to go on this trip. I was really hoping to make it but it`s not in the cards for me!

I am interested, not sure if I can though. I will watch this thread and see how things pan out.

Flexfab,

There is more to ride in DV than you could do in a week. I found tracks for DV in my Garmin directory. I think I got them from the Dual Sport Moto website but their mapping function appears to be down so I can't verify. I have attached a PDF of the tracks and according to Mapsource, it covers 1340 miles. I'm going to put together some tracks for visiting some local mines if you're interested. No matter what, you won't be bored.

If anyone recognizes these tracks as their work or whose tracks they may be, please let me know. It's bad Karma to share someones work without their permission.

Death Valley Tracks-modified.pdf

John

Flexfab,

There is more to ride in DV than you could do in a week. I found tracks for DV in my Garmin directory. I think I got them from the Dual Sport Moto website but their mapping function appears to be down so I can't verify. I have attached a PDF of the tracks and according to Mapsource, it covers 1340 miles. I'm going to put together some tracks for visiting some local mines if you're interested. No matter what, you won't be bored.

If anyone recognizes these tracks as their work or whose tracks they may be, please let me know. It's bad Karma to share someones work without their permission.

Death Valley Tracks-modified.pdf

John

CableJockey, thanks for the reply. I've been exploring Death Valley since the late 70's so I'm not at a loss for places to go, I'm at a loss for people ride with. I lead 4x4 trips so I hardly ever meet any new people to RIDE with, and most of the people I ride with up here think DV is "just to far to drive." What mines are you thinking about going to? There is a ton of good stuff close [by dv standards] to PSCG. Depending on how "Sporty" everyones pace is, you can get to 3 or 4 interesting spots in a day and on a tank of gas. Theirs one mine in particular that not many people go to or even know of for that matter that still has tools in the work shed. I am looking forward to meeting everyone, and thank you for making "the new guy" feel welcome.

Flexfab,

I was in the midst of planning a ride out of Tecopa to see the Noonday, Gunsite, War Eagle, etc mines. I've read about them but haven't had the chance to visit. I have no information about mines around Panamint Springs. I was going to create a route based on what the topo maps showed (crap shoot method). If you have experience in the area, I'm happy to follow and buy you a beer.

John

Flexfab,

I was in the midst of planning a ride out of Tecopa to see the Noonday, Gunsite, War Eagle, etc mines. I've read about them but haven't had the chance to visit. I have no information about mines around Panamint Springs. I was going to create a route based on what the topo maps showed (crap shoot method). If you have experience in the area, I'm happy to follow and buy you a beer.

John

John, Tecopa is a way cool area. You can still go down into the mines. The Noonday and War Eagle had a railway between them with a tressel, most of the track is gone but alot of track and ore carts are still in the mines. As far as stuff around Panamint, alot depends on what bike you're on and what your range is. There is a ton of cool stuff, but some of it is not exactly "big bike" friendly, not all, just some. I would be more than happy to show you and anyone else around, I just hope I can stay ahead of you. Greg.

Greg,

The last thing you have to worry about is staying ahead of me. I always ride at the back of the pack because I'm the slowest and want to ride my ride without feeling pressured. The good part is that those of you who can ride like a scalded puppy can also get to ride your ride ..... you just have to wait at the intersections. I will certainly bring my DRZ (150 mi range) and probably bring the KLR in case I get in the mood for a long easy ride. There will probably be a full spectrum of bikes but it looks like more DRZ size than the adventure bikes. One thing to note, in this group the guys that have the adventure bikes can ride them.

First beer is on me.

John

flexfab, are you local to SD/SoCal? Welcome to the group! Thanks for sharing info, keep it coming - I'm eager to learn more about DV!

More teaser pics to entice the lurkers! Big county Big smiles!

P1010748-L.jpg

DSC04424-XL.jpg

flexfab, are you local to SD/SoCal? Welcome to the group! Thanks for sharing info, keep it coming - I'm eager to learn more about DV!

P1010748-L.jpg

DSC04424-XL.jpg

Nope. I'm in Nevada city, Grass Valley area. But I lived in the town of Mojave in the late 70's, I worked at the motorcycle shop, thats when this addiction started. First trip to Death Valley was on a Hodaka 125. The loop you are talking about through Goler and Mengel is a great ride. I just took a 4x4 group through there 3 weeks ago and you are correct, the water falls are all filled in. Barker ranch was burned down a few years ago, not much left to see. But the tram way is always cool, and the geoligist cabin is still hanging on. Dinner at Furnace Creek is a nice treat at the end of that loop.Thank all of you for the welcome, I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

P1010748-L.jpg

DSC04424-XL.jpg

Tim are you going to ride up and back? Considering going on this trip and I am trying to figure out logistics. I wouldn't mind riding the GS up there and back but I think I'd have way more fun on the 250 or 565 (if I can bring it back to life.)

Tim are you going to ride up and back? Considering going on this trip and I am trying to figure out logistics. I wouldn't mind riding the GS up there and back but I think I'd have way more fun on the 250 or 565 (if I can bring it back to life.)

You can definitely ride up there. I was debating it but for this trip I'll be trucking up and riding DV from the PSR basecamp. The ride up is nice though!

On the GS you could ride Saline Valley Road to the Hot Springs, you could continue that and make a big loop to the Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle (I have not done Steel Pass, it looks like there may be an obstacle on the route but I can neither confirm nor deny - maybe flexfab knows?).

You could slab across the park to the Rhyolite Ghost Town then take Titus Canyon and visit the Racetrack and possibly Hunter Mountain/South Pass if it is clear (stay off Lippencott with the cast wheels).

South Side Road through Badwater Basin would be a blast, you could gas up in Shoshone and I think you can ride Greenwater Valley Road back to Furnace Creek.

I think you on the GS should be able to do Chloride Cliffs to Beatty, NV.

Or any combination of the above!

I'm trying to lure Hodnettjj into coming on this ride - he may bring his GS too. You guys can both ride them off road so that could be fun.

Check some of those route ideas and keep me posted. Have you been to DV before? It's definitely worth a visit. If you can only do Friday night - Sunday, it might be worth it to ride up, do one big loop Saturday and some exploring before you ride home on Sunday. If you rode up/back you'll get more seat time that way vs driving and it would be cheaper on gas. If you can make it up there on Thursday night, I say truck and bring a smaller bike (imho).

You can definitely ride up there. I was debating it but for this trip I'll be trucking up and riding DV from the PSR basecamp. The ride up is nice though!

On the GS you could ride Saline Valley Road to the Hot Springs, you could continue that and make a big loop to the Ubehebe Crater and Scotty's Castle (I have not done Steel Pass, it looks like there may be an obstacle on the route but I can neither confirm nor deny - maybe flexfab knows?).

You could slab across the park to the Rhyolite Ghost Town then take Titus Canyon and visit the Racetrack and possibly Hunter Mountain/South Pass if it is clear (stay off Lippencott with the cast wheels).

South Side Road through Badwater Basin would be a blast, you could gas up in Shoshone and I think you can ride Greenwater Valley Road back to Furnace Creek.

I think you on the GS should be able to do Chloride Cliffs to Beatty, NV.

Or any combination of the above!

I'm trying to lure Hodnettjj into coming on this ride - he may bring his GS too. You guys can both ride them off road so that could be fun.

Check some of those route ideas and keep me posted. Have you been to DV before? It's definitely worth a visit. If you can only do Friday night - Sunday, it might be worth it to ride up, do one big loop Saturday and some exploring before you ride home on Sunday. If you rode up/back you'll get more seat time that way vs driving and it would be cheaper on gas. If you can make it up there on Thursday night, I say truck and bring a smaller bike (imho).

I've never been so I'd want to roll with the group. I can drive my FZJ80 Land Cruiser up with the bike on the back (or use my small trailer if there are more bikes to bring) and that way I'd have a recovery vehicle if anyone needed it. With factory lockers it's pretty much unstoppable in anything other than insane conditions. Might be fun to drive it around a bit as well. Only drawback is the brutal fuel economy of driving a lifted brick with 35" tires on the freeway. :)/> If I do end up driving up I'd be happy to haul a couple of people and their bikes with me. I don't mind pulling a bigger trailer either if we want to consolidate vehicles.

That said, riding the GS up would be a blast. We'll see if any/all of my in-laws want to tag along and that might determine the ride.

Thanks for setting this up. Looks like a lot of fun and some beautiful scenery.

Be prepared for anything in terms of weather......a few of us rode through a snowy whiteout heading down Titus Canyon a few years ago......

Vacman, my humble opinion would be to maybe take one of your lighter bikes for a first time through Steel Pass. It's not terrible, hell we got an Adventure Van through there last Christmas, but there are "A FEW SPOTS". Hey guys, I hope I'm not looking like a know it all, or "ONE OF THOSE GUYS". I just know the area thats all. Greg.

Flexfab thank you for the info on Steel Pass! Your advice is very valuable to me for route planning - I appreciate you sharing your experiences as I've never done Steel Pass (and many other parts of DV because frankly, there is a lot to explore). I suppose if the roads aren't snowed in, one could bypass Warm Springs/Steel Pass and continue on Saline Valley Road through North Pass (7300ft) and maybe slab into Big Pine for gas before heading back up Big Pine Road through Crankshaft Junction and towards Ubehebe/Scottys Castle.

As Crawdaddy pointed out, weather can play a big roll in DV. The first time I went, South Pass at 5997ft was totally snowed in and impassable on bikes. This year has been pretty light on snowfall in CA but who knows what the conditions will be like in early March.

One area close to PSR that I've never been to is Cerro Gordo. Taking the big left on Saline Valley Road about 8 miles north of Highway 190, the road to the Cerro Gordo Ghost Town and the Salt Tram climbs all the way to 9184ft (very weather dependant). It looks to be a bit under 50 miles each way from PSR.

19journeys.583.jpg

cerro-gordo.jpg

One area close to PSR that I've never been to is Cerro Gordo. Taking the big left on Saline Valley Road about 8 miles north of Highway 190, the road to the Cerro Gordo Ghost Town and the Salt Tram climbs all the way to 9184ft (very weather dependant). It looks to be a bit under 50 miles each way from PSR.

Save the Swansea/Cerro Gordo trip for Oct......Burgess Cabin is at ~10K' (along the same ridgeline as the Salt Tram when you head up from Swansea) .......this is NOT the time of year to head up that way......