Goofy Footer

Death Valley ~ Spring ~ March 7-9, 2014

MARCH 7-9, 2014

You're invited! I will be camping in Death Valley sometime this Spring - late Feb/early March-ish is my goal.

Death Valley is a great National Park with pristine scenery and expansive wilderness. It is a sight to see and enjoy. In terms of moto offerings, DV is n00b friendly, big bikeable and family friendly fun. Smaller bikes will enjoy big miles across super scenic terrain just like the bigger bikes do. There are only a few technical sections in DV but the riding is not to be missed no matter what bike you're on. Bolt up your big gas tanks, slap a rotopax (or 2) on your bike and bring along some milk jugs because you can put in some seriously big mileage days exploring the great things DV has to offer. I've been to DV twice on my DRZ with dirt gearing and have had a ton of fun both times. There is so much to see and explore in and around the park.

Tracks are readily available so you can ride with your crew whenever/however you want. Guys who want to ride up - awesome! Post up and somebody trucking will probably help carry your camping gear.

Bring firewood and bbq your hearts out!

Disclaimer: This is not an organized rally. This is not an organized ride. This is not an official SDAR event. You hereby agree that Goofy Footer is not liable for anything. Your attendance is voluntary. If you so choose to bring your street legal motorcycle or vehicle to the aforementioned campout, you agree that you are doing so voluntarily and at your own risk. Death Valley is a National Park so you if you wish to operate a vehicle within the Park boundaries, it must be fully street legal and DOT compliant. Individuals who chose to operate vehicles in the Park must remain on legal, open and designated trails at all times and are required to obey traffic/safety laws at all times.

I want to camp on the west side of the national park at Panimant Springs Resort as access to dirt is quicker from PSR and many great loops can be launched from camp. There is gas and a restaurant across the street and showers and other amenities are available. Bring your toy hauler, rv or tent because its best to enjoy a few days in the park as it's a drive up there.

PSR-Logo-300w.pngPSR-Map-with-grid-2-650w.jpg

Here is a video from my last trip to DV which has some great pictures at the end.

So who is Interested??

goofy footer - DR650
CableJockey - DRZ400
ADV Bum ? - DR350?
rallymike - Husky Terra 650
chrisw - BMW GS1200
1NaAdv - KLR650
HotRod82 ? - KTM525
Bubbagums ? - KTM525
Steve S ? - KLR650 or DR350?
Steve S son ? - DR350?

Looks like a good time to go.

This Rally http://advrider.com/...ad.php?t=930383 reserved all of PSR at the end March (28-30)

Yup it's a great time to ride up there! The ADV thing is a fun one but it is a very large.

I want to extend the invitation for a few SDAR friends to come camp with me in DV. Bring your motorcycles if you so chose! It will be fun!

I signed up on the waiting list for the NOOB rally over on ADVRIDER. Probably not going to make it in this year so this sounds like an excellent fall back plan.

I've been interested since reading the thread over at ADV but that big of an event isn't really my thing. A smaller group sounds much better. My preference would be in March as Feb is pretty full already but don't plan around me.

I'm doing the ADVRIDER event with Arnie but I'd definitely be down for a smaller group thing end of Feb. Definitely keeping my eye on this thread - I've only been out there a few times and there is still boatloads to see...

My son and I did the ADV noob rally last year (just one week after he got his MC permit -- he won the youngest attendee prize) and we're going again at the end of March. I also had the pleasure of doing the DV un-rally last Jan/Feb which included a few others from here. So I'm hooked. Unless there is an insurmountable schedule conflict when the dates are finally set, count me in. I might have 2 other riders as well (my son and/or a friend who did the un-rally with me last year).

Desert Dash is February 22-23, so if this ride is after that....I'm interested.

Desert Dash is February 22-23, so if this ride is after that....I'm interested.

It would be great to have you in DV! This ride won't conflict with the Dash.

I'm thinking either February 28 - March 2 (the weekend after the Dash) or March 7 - 9 (two weeks after the Dash). I'm leaning towards March 7-9.

GF, when you say west side, are you going tent or Full hook up RV?

I'll be tenting - probably sleeping in the back of my pickup truck. It is definitely worth it to stay a few days in DV (especially considering the drive). The riding is very scenic and there is a lot of ground to cover. If I had a camper or something better than my truck bed, I'd bring it on this trip for sure. There are also tent cabins and cottages for those interested as well. PSR is located on the far west side of the national park (Death Valley is the largest national park in the USA). It's a good hour slab ride from PSR to the campground on the east side of the park Furnace Creek.

Here is some info for PSR camping rates:

REGULAR RATES

26 Tent Sites: $7.50 per night for up to 5 people

Tent sites allow for one tent and one vehicle. If you need space for more tents or extra vehicles you will need to rent additional sites. All sites have firepits and most sites have picnic tables. Picnice tables not guaranteed.

12 Full-hookup Sites (30 and 50 amp): $30.00 per night

All sites have firepits and picnic tables

25 Dry Sites (no hookups) $15.00 per night

All sites have fire pits and some have picnic tables. Picnic tables not guaranteed.

Group Camp Site: $55.00 per night for up to 30 people Great site for large groups such as scout troops, student groups, motorcycle and off road groups. Site has a small stage with power for a P/A system, a large fire pit and picnic tables. Site is 80′ x 35′. Parking is limited to 5 vehicles. Arrangements may be made for additional vehicles for an additional cost. We do not have a limit for the number of tents, as long as they are contained within the site.

Showers are included with the site fee. They are located in the restroom facilities and do not require coins to operate. Showers are available without a campsite as well. Please inquire at the general store.

For pets in RV or tents sites, there is an additional charge of $5.00 per pet for the duration of stay.

Here is the park service map: Park Service Map Link Here

death_camp_01L.jpg

I am interested, not sure if I can though. I will watch this thread and see how things pan out.

Looks like I may be "in" on the ADV Noob ride. The current in folks who haven't paid have until tonight to pay. After that all of the waiting list people get "in" :torch:

If I make it "in" for the ADV Noob Ride I'll be out for this one.

For those going up 395, stop at Fossil Falls (exit Cinder Road). Not your typical SoCal potholes.

My link

:bigeyed: cool, never heard of that, thanks for the tip!

There are some very flat, hard packed dry lake beds just to the east and a tad north. Over a 1/4 mile long and fun for clicking thru the gears.

Great interest so far! I'm strongly leaning towards the March 7-9 dates and will confirm in the next few days.

Here is a link to some RR pictures from the last time I went to DV to show you some of the terrain/riding: Picture Link

what kind of fuel range should be a minimum? Looks like I can go with taller gearing to stretch out the mpg.