Sign in to follow this  
KE6UPI

Ramona to Hwy 76

Lusardi is gated unfortunately so you won't be able to link to Mesa Grande from there. What you can do is take Santa Ysabel to Black Canyon to Mesa Grande, like so: http://goo.gl/maps/BSgNx (at marker "C" on Santa Ysabel stay to the right (coming from Pamo) or you will be climbing up Black Mountain, which also ends in a locked gate)

I'm not sure how experienced you are but Santa Ysabel isn't too hard, just take your time if you are a beginner and as on most trails remember to stay to the right in blind corners (possible incoming traffic). And Black canyon is a graded fire road (easy)

Lusardi ends in a locked gate but you can take Santa Ysabel from Pamo over to Black Canyon, then Black Canyon up to Mesa Grande (hang a left) and on down the hill to take the 79 on a very short stretch North to the 76.

[Edit: Beat to the punch by Kato, what he said!]

sdar.. ask a trail question and 5mn later get not just one but two responses at the same time!

I see a gate at Pamo Rd and Lusardi Truck Trail now on the map. How about Black Canyon out of Ramona then up to Mesa Grande. I have traveled Black Canyon many times in a red firetruck about 4 years ago before I SDR fire dept.

Anyone want to give it a try on Sat Jan 11th??

I see a gate at Pamo Rd and Lusardi Truck Trail now on the map. How about Black Canyon out of Ramona then up to Mesa Grande. I have traveled Black Canyon many times in a red firetruck about 4 years ago before I SDR fire dept.

Anyone want to give it a try on Sat Jan 11th??

yes, for an easier (still scenic) route you can take black canyon out of ramona all the way to mesa grande.

the gate you see at the beginning of Lusardi is for cattle and can legally be opened (make sure you close it behind you). the locked gate on lusardi is a few miles up the trail (here, at the green arrow), it is still a fun back and forth ride.

Thanks Kato, I see it on the map. Just one gate??

I'll look at my fire dist map (old one that I have) and see what department the area is in. If it's CNF then I might be able to call and get it opened (legal). If its pvt land then oh well.

David

I'll look at my fire dist map (old one that I have) and see what department the area is in. If it's CNF then I might be able to call and get it opened (legal). If its pvt land then oh well.

David

If you can get it opened legally then maybe you can accidentally loose the lock also ??????? haha Wishful thinking. It used to be open a couple of years ago and was an awesome ride through.

David

The 1st gate is CDF , but the 2nd is pvt (both by top) .

Bottom gate is usually open/unlocked.

There is another beefier one shortly after the first gate..

Edit: above post nailed it

All spot on info by these guys. To clarify one small point. There are actually two gates at the bottom of Lusardi where it intersects Pamo. One is CDF and one is the cattle gate. On occasion, the CDF gate is closed and locked...

If you decided to come up next Saturday, post it up, and you'll most likely get someone who knows the area well to show you around.

From the top of Black Mountain (with the nice lookout) is it tribal land beyond the fence up there?

Yea, Id probably go riding out there ALOT more often if Lusardi & Black Mountain were not gated half way through... Oh & there were some fallen, lightning struck trees blocking access to the peak of BM, but that has been resolved...

The land behind the gates are Mesa Grande and La Jolla Tribes.. Sorry. I'll post a new topic for a ride in Ramona for Saturday the 11th. Wife and kids are gone for the weekend.

David