DigDug

Merry Christmas!

Just a quick hello to wish everyone down south a Merry Christmas from the your neighbor up north!

1r2u.jpg

The bikes are winterized and put away, but the snow machine and Cub are going strong!

Just a quick hello to wish everyone down south a Merry Christmas from the your neighbor up north!

1r2u.jpg

The bikes are winterized and put away, but the snow machine and Cub are going strong!

Merry Christmas, Sunny 70 degrees shorts and tank top weather. Hope your enjoying your tour up North.

"Winterized"

More than drained liquids?

Merry Christmas Riding Buddy

"Winterized"

Nothing so extreme. A little StaBil in the tank and carb, plugged into the battery tender and put in the back of the heated garage.

Thanks for the greetings everyone!

hope you're enjoying a real winter season Doug!

Send ride/flight reports now and then... snowmobile is a great way to explore

Doug....great to hear from you...Merry Christmas !

Nice plane and photo !

You're in Alaska, correct ?

Doug....great to hear from you...Merry Christmas !

Nice plane and photo !

You're in Alaska, correct ?

Yup. Still in Alaska!

Pic,s of snowmobileing please ! :good:/>/>/>/>/>

I'll have to dig through my external hard drives and find some good pictures, but here's something better. This was filmed by a riding buddy last winter on a 5 day trip we did to a lodge along the Denali Highway. He designs and sells GoPro backpack mounts (VuVantage) so it's an "ad" video, but I'm in it a few times (not filming, just in the background). It's so much fun to find areas like these with untouched powder to carve some turns in!

Open it in YouTube and set it to HD to get the full effect!

"Winterized"

"the bikes are winterized"

timclearbkrnd.jpg

:good:/>

Merry Christmas Doug.

Say Doug,, What happens when the Cub drops into one of those snow holes? Is it only lakes you land on?

This was filmed by a riding buddy last winter on a 5 day trip we did to a lodge along the Denali Highway.

Doug, is that the lodge about half way in the middle of the Denali Highway, and the bar next to it is an old mobile home called "The Sluice Box" ? If so, I was there on my bike trip....see photos below.

100_0876-XL.jpg

100_0877-XL.jpg

"Winterized"

"the bikes are winterized"

timclearbkrnd.jpg

:good:/>/>

Merry Christmas Doug.

Those things look like lots of fun for sure! I'm afraid, though, that with a single/narrow track and ski, they'd be a nightmare in the deep/soft powder up here! Heck, if I could find one cheap, I'd give it a try though - I wonder if I'd still be street legal with that "mod"!!!

I've never seen one up here to even try though.

Say Doug,, What happens when the Cub drops into one of those snow holes? Is it only lakes you land on?

You don't!!! Or you DIG!!!! Actually, the Cub floats pretty well with the wide skis and light weight. There are times where you have to "stomp" out a little bit of a runway if you get sunk in too much, but a hundred feet or so gets you enough speed to "float" and build up takeoff speed. Heck, lightweight, I only need a few hundred feet to fly anyways!

You can land on pretty much anywhere flat and big enough with snow cover. Ski flying definitely opens up the most number of potential landing spots. Frozen lakes, snow-covered meadows, swamps, heck, even most small runways have a packed snow/ice covering (although slick ice makes for fun and advanced planning when you don't have brakes). As far as that goes, many roads have enough snowpack on them to land (yes, it's legal to land on the roads up here - I've done it a few times on wheels in the spring).

(cheesy picture, I know.)

bvg8.jpg

(float flying in the summer to go trout fishing)

buqs.jpg

(beach landing at low tide to dig for clams)

4zju.jpg

Thanks Dug -I got my snowmobile fix --now back to our 75 degree winter weather. :drinks:

This was filmed by a riding buddy last winter on a 5 day trip we did to a lodge along the Denali Highway.

Doug, is that the lodge about half way in the middle of the Denali Highway, and the bar next to it is an old mobile home called "The Sluice Box" ? If so, I was there on my bike trip....see photos below.

Most of the time I've been on the Denali Highway has been in the winter and I've never seen that place open. Not much is. We usually truck the sleds up to Cantwell and ride the 65 or so miles into Alpine Creek Lodge which is at mile 68. It's one of the few places that are open in the winter. They don't plow the Denali Highway and only occasionally groom it - so snow machine is the only way in. I highly recommend Alpine Creek Lodge for anyone doing a trip down the highway. It's a small, family run business and they provide great service!

The one time I did the highway in the summer, we were fishing and camping so we didn't stop - but I know where the bar is.