Sign in to follow this  
unclecameron

PLEASE READ Latest Website Status Update

The good news is that the site/forum is back up. And it lives on a newer much better server.

The bad news is that the more recent nightly backups of the database were corrupt and I lost posts between the 21st of November and now. That's because my automated backup backed up a half-crashed database, every night and didn't tell me when it started to be corrupt. This meant it would not allow me to rebuild on the destination server in a sane way. The good news is I could roll the database day by day back to when it wasn't corrupt. This also means that now when it's been restored, I can start trying to re-import the lost posts

Probably though I can start picking through the remaining database wreckage of the semi-corrupted db and restoring lost posts between those two times...probably.

Anyway, things don't suck as much now, but I'll be working on restoring the interim suckiness.

I thought will nightly database backups and weekly redundant backups offsite to separate servers would be enough. But I was wrong. Soooo, I'll be busy over the next couple days attempting to restore stuff.

Thow stuff if you will, this sucked. Now go ride.

Sounds like a pain in the ass.....thanks for what you are doing.

I don't know much.....but I think the corrupt database may have a lot to do with why new posts haven't been showing up under "View New Content".

Everyone please read the update above...some data was lost but can hopefully be retrieved.

...some data was lost but can hopefully be retrieved.

Don't worry, most of what we say isn't worth reading....like this for example laugh.gif

Thanks for the update and the hard work getting the site upgraded...I appreciate having this resource and I'm sure many others do too. Carry on!

I don't really understand what you wrote. I think there was something about "vacuum"? :unsure:

Thanks for your hard work.

Nice to see things starting to work again. Thanks for working on it so diligently. :party:

Our ex IT guy here at work always fixed stuff by unplugging it and then plugging it back in, have you tried that?

Well that's the sum of my computer knowledge, seriously thank you for all the work, I would have used a hammer by now.

Impatient uncle.

I posted a picture today on a thread where somebody was complaining that they couldn't post a picture. My picture posted without any problems. I was posting one from Photobucket though, and not trying to upload an attachment. I think that the only part of the forum that you can attach a photo file to is in the ride reports, and then it has to be a certain size. If it's too big of a file, it won't upload. Otherwise, you have to have a host sight to link to.

Everything seems to be working pretty normal, except for the fact that I don't seem to get e-mail notifications like I used to, when somebody sends me a PM on the website.

I posted a picture today on a thread where somebody was complaining that they couldn't post a picture. My picture posted without any problems. I was posting one from Photobucket though, and not trying to upload an attachment. I think that the only part of the forum that you can attach a photo file to is in the ride reports, and then it has to be a certain size. If it's too big of a file, it won't upload. Otherwise, you have to have a host sight to link to.

Everything seems to be working pretty normal, except for the fact that I don't seem to get e-mail notifications like I used to, when somebody sends me a PM on the website.

My photobucket account is full and I can't add any pictures without paying. On my shutterfly account I can't find anywhere to get a link to a picture. I had no problem adding these same pictures on Monday but the post is now gone so I thought I'd try again.

CiD

The good news is that the site/forum is back up. And it lives on a newer much better server.

The bad news is that the more recent nightly backups of the database were corrupt and I lost posts between the 21st of November and now. That's because my automated backup backed up a half-crashed database, every night and didn't tell me when it started to be corrupt. This meant it would not allow me to rebuild on the destination server in a sane way. The good news is I could roll the database day by day back to when it wasn't corrupt. This also means that now when it's been restored, I can start trying to re-import the lost posts

Probably though I can start picking through the remaining database wreckage of the semi-corrupted db and restoring lost posts between those two times...probably.

Anyway, things don't suck as much now, but I'll be working on restoring the interim suckiness.

I thought will nightly database backups and weekly redundant backups offsite to separate servers would be enough. But I was wrong. Soooo, I'll be busy over the next couple days attempting to restore stuff.

Thow stuff if you will, this sucked. Now go ride.

HEY,, Thanks for all you do , and time spent doing it. If your anywhere near my work, please stop in for some free lobsters,,,,its the least we can do..