Sign in to follow this  
baldbeemer

Washington Riders need advice for baja

The Mistress' bike is going to baja. The new owner is from Washington state and is going with 2 other riders, none of which have any experience in Mexico. They are planning on going all the way to Cabo using only information gleaned from forums and gps tracks. Anyone available tonight to share some experences and advice for them before their trek? PM me and I'll get right back to you to set up a time and place to meet.

Thanks,

Mike (BB)

All 3 riders are on DRZ400's.

Also was just discussing gear with the guys and one is planning on going with AlpineStar street touring boots that have NO ankle support. I suggested that might be a bad idea to break an akle 1000K from home. Anyone have a spare pair of boots in 9.5? He would buy rather than borrow, but would really appreciate whatever is available.

Plans are ever changing, one had to catch a later flight and won't even land in SD until 9:00 so they won't be able to get advice or info from anyone. They're on the road tomorrow so all I can do at this point for them is wish them luck!

Wow....

please tell me they have a thread somewhere to watch their progress...

Do they have a spot?

Well they all headed out 8:30 this morning. A little disorganized and the last minute things to get done have me a bit concerned that the beloved DRZ isn't making it back alive. In fact, I believe this a future episode of "Locked up Abroad" but that's the "Adventure" part I guess. Pretty gutsy of Andy to buy a bike on ADV, paypal the money in the hope that the seller isn't a complete flake and mail a title. Then hold the bike for a month in the garage until the trip and not even throw a leg over it until it's en-route on a 2500+ mile trip in another country.

They do have a spot and I'll be tracking their progress. They might do a RR when it's all said and done. They're also going at the same time as the Baja 1K so there will lots of folks ther to lend a helping hand if needed.

This is what adventure is about! Even with months of planning things go wrong, these guys will likely have the time of their lives.

This is what adventure is about! Even with months of planning things go wrong, these guys will likely have the time of their lives.

^this

Well they all headed out 8:30 this morning. A little disorganized and the last minute things to get done have me a bit concerned that the beloved DRZ isn't making it back alive. In fact, I believe this a future episode of "Locked up Abroad" but that's the "Adventure" part I guess. Pretty gutsy of Andy to buy a bike on ADV, paypal the money in the hope that the seller isn't a complete flake and mail a title. Then hold the bike for a month in the garage until the trip and not even throw a leg over it until it's en-route on a 2500+ mile trip in another country.

They do have a spot and I'll be tracking their progress. They might do a RR when it's all said and done. They're also going at the same time as the Baja 1K so there will lots of folks ther to lend a helping hand if needed.

Wow, this sounds like a sh*t fight waiting to happen. The nice thing is that Baja is so safe and accommodating to gringoes that worse comes to worse they can take a bus home. I like adventure but I don't like a series of issues that happen due to lack of preparation or back up. But, hey. That is why I have my band of brothers and we pretty much stick to ourselves. hahaha

We are going to Ojos for an overnighter this weekend to camp and maybe some some of the race.

DD

It appears that several posts were lost during the latest site build......

One of the riders didn't make it more than half way and had to catch a ride home when his DRZ started to eat oil and the chain/sprockets weren't making it much farther. I got a call out of the blue saying he's across the border and will be at the house in an hour. He'd gotten a ride to Rosarito and ridden the rest of the way on shot sprockets and probably little to no oil left. He said thanks for the hospitality and loaded up his bike and was gone in less than 15 minutes. This was about 9 at night and he wanted to get the bay area before stopping :o

The other 2 riders made it to Cabo and have been in Ensenada for the past couple days. I haven't heard from them so don't know if they're just chillin or have a problem. Don't know if I'll actually see either of them when they complete the journey now that the truck is gone but if I do I'll try to summarize the ride to ya'll. By the look of the bike that came back early (It was beat to hell) it appears they had an eventful journey......

Just like I said earlier, the time of their lives. Sometimes too much planning ruins a trip.

Got word from Andy yesterday...

Made it back to Seattle . Trip was beyond amazing - bike ran great, no injuries, made it all the way to Cabo and back up. 3,200 miles, about 2,900 on dirt. We read your SD Adv Rider posts and were laughing about them - particularly about me putting my faith in a bike sight unseen and Tyler going home in a huff after a week (we gave him a lot of ---- about it).

We rode old & new Baja course, singletrack, beaches, dirt roads, (too much) sand, wet rock (rained on) and just about every other terrain known to man and beast. We are doing a ride report here and I will send you the link.

Looking forward to reading the RR and will post the link when I get it. Like others posted earlier, it sounds like they had the time of their lives and the overall lack of planning made the trip that mich better....