HotRod82

60csx question

This is probably a simple question for some of you....I have the 6o csx which I hardly use. How do I change the map within the unit itself? Every time I download a set of tracks, they just overlay into the useless standard map in my GPS. I want to upgrade to the same detailed map my cousin has. ( it was already in his unit when he got it.)

This is probably a simple question for some of you....I have the 6o csx which I hardly use. How do I change the map within the unit itself? Every time I download a set of tracks, they just overlay into the useless standard map in my GPS. I want to upgrade to the same detailed map my cousin has. ( it was already in his unit when he got it.)

There's several ways to update the map, or overlay above the basemap.

- Install something like City Navigator onto the mem card

- Use mapsource, and with an installed map (like City Navigator) load a region to the GPS.

Either way;

You must have the maps your wanting to install - installed in Mapsource Trip and Waypoint Manager, or a "gmapsupp" file to load onto the mem card.

AND... if you ever decide to upgrade and sell the 60CSx... I'm (very) interested!

Double click the menu button to reach the main menu

Pan over to “set up” and click enter

Pan over to “map” and click enter

Pan across the top to the “i” symbol on the top of the screen then pan down to highlight the “Show/Map Name” box and click menu

Now you’ll be looking at a list of all maps loaded into your handheld

If the title next to a map name says “hide” that means it’ll be visible on your screen……if it says “show” that’s means it’s currently hidden from view…….it’s counter intuitive (to me)

See what maps you have loaded and click the check box in the map menu screen accordingly to hide/show the map you want to activate (you can only activate one at a time and some trump others…......any map will trump the basemap)

If you only see “base map” as an option you have no other maps loaded to choose from and you’ll need to populate the unit with City Navigator, Topo, whatever……

If and when you load maps you must download them at the same time because they overwrite one another……(i.e.: if you loaded Topo then came in and down load City Navigator you just overwrote Topo and it’s gone…..got it?)

Once you get the maps set up in your 60Csx you should NEVER download maps again when downloading tracks/waypoints……because once again you’ll overwrite the maps you have on your handheld……..(i.e.: you could have the entire United States downloaded in City Navigator and overwrite that by downloading a limited map set for Ocotillo Wells when you download the tracks/maps……......that’s why we never download “maps” at organized events like my CORE rides, Desert Dash, etc…….we don’t want to over write the map sets already on the GPS so we just download tracks and waypoints......got it?)

I have a Topo 2008 CD that’s not license protected.....it’s not that great/not up to date but better than the base map…….I can load a subset of that map set on anyone’s GPS if you're currently limited to the base map that comes loaded from the factory......

1383144094[/url]' post='161910']

AND... if you ever decide to upgrade and sell the 60CSx... I'm (very) interested!

Might be interested in selling mine....PM offer?

1383144094[/url]' post='161910']

I'll make a standing/public offer of $100 for used/functional 60CSx units.....

....and if you ever, say, leave the batteries in yours & they leak, causing all kinds of problems.... blush.gif

Take your card out, send it to Garmin and get a freshly refurbished one for $110.

I'll make a standing/public offer of $100 for used/functional 60CSx units.....

AND away we go!

I'd be in for;

• $180... for the 60CSx model.
  • $140... for the 60Cx model.
  • $80..... for the 60C model.

(above depends on overall condition... and closer to "great" condition. If they are missing a button top, or scratched screen, etc.etc. Well, you know the drill)

But my offer is also... "standing" and will hold for... well... as long as they are for sale. wink.gif

PM sent.

Chris... great "how to" on the maps...

I forgot to have him FIRST check the installed maps. DUH!

BUT...

if your techy... you can also use gmaptool to split or combine maps.

And I somewhat disagree with the "don't ever upload other maps" thing, as you'll lose previously loaded maps problem.

I (personally) only load maps for the area I'm riding. No need to load the GPS with a bazillion areas or the entire USA.... and take up GBs of mem card space. There's really no advantage to it, other then the time it takes to upload 'regions' or 'maps' from mapsource. But... if you do combine maps using gmaptool (for example topo maps and routable maps), then no need to use mapsource for specific areas of maps. Just make sure the map your using in mapsource, is the same name/version as what's IN the GPS, or on the mem card. When you need to update the map(s) on the mem card, you can use gmaptool at that time. So it's always good to know how to use the tools you have available.

Another great program and useful utility is "MapSetToolKit".