Thx for posting, Jon. I can tell you from what I see in my current assignment - not related to fires - that there's a lot going on and some drastic measures need to be put in place. PC or not.

Thx for posting, Jon. I can tell you from what I see in my current assignment - not related to fires - that there's a lot going on and some drastic measures need to be put in place. PC or not.

Arm us and let us shoot these SOB's!

With a lawless and out of control administration, that refuses to secure the border and enforce our current laws, it'll only get worse. So it goes, deep in the second phase of the Obama/Soros post America decline.

I've always wondered about this - such an easy target. Plus we already have all-American psycho arsonists who will see this as competition. I'm surprised it's not worse than it is.

His air patrol idea seems far-fetched to me; it's an awfully big country. Controlling borders and immigration, and jailing or deporting people who incite this stuff seems like the place to start. I can't believe the garbage that passes for free speech these days. The Imam they droned in Yemen (pen-pal of the Fort Hood shooter) once spread his bile right here. Sad we can't prosecute them until they leave our soil.

well I am a natural skeptic and have to question how many fires were actually started by jihadis. is there even one case of a jihadi being caught for arson of our forests? or we are just guessing here? hey why can't the NSA with their $30,000,000,000 a year budget get us some good intel on this? may as well throw some armed drones at the problem! may as well start flying F16s around the forest while we are at it because some muslims could light it on fire. this feels a lot like the WMDs, or war on terror, war on drugs, war on poverty. All abject failures in my opinion.

Now I'm not saying it's impossible, in fact its quite an easy target for anyone, but that is quite a assertion to make without any proven evidence that it has taken place. There are probably all kinds of anti american arabic websites saying things like "burn america down!" etc. Does that mean the recent waves of fires were started by Al Qeada? I don't know? Does anyone? Where is the evidence? The federal governments word isn't worth much these days. Everything they feed us should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

In response to economic warfare, how about $15,000,000,000,000 in debt? How about $2,000,000,000,000 worth of war for the last decade blowing up worthless villages in the middle of no where and accomplishing nothing but lining the pockets of the those associated with the military industrial complex. Taking hard working peoples' money and transferring it to people like Dick Cheney. That is economic warfare. And the government would like to keep you scared of the boogey man Al Qeada to keep the party going. I'm calling BS. Seems most people I talk to are tired of these wars. This is just an extension of it. The last thing we need is drones flying around patrolling our forests. Things like that morph into "war on dirtbikers" etc. Is that what you really want?

And before you come back and tell me but Al Qeada can and will burn our forests. OK, I believe its quite a possibility. But I need to see some evidence. And I'm going to turn off the PCness for a minute and suggest a solution that some people will like and some people will not. If the Al Qeada boogey man is really out there lurking among us here in the US and they are starting forest fires. Why do we keep allowing these people to immigrate here? Simple solution to that problem IMO. Yet we keep throwing billions and trillions of dollars at the problem. It looks a lot more like big business than national security to me.

Have a great day everyone!

Spaugh,

What a typical engineer you are. Wanting data to make decisions on. You silly goose.

That video was a year ago. 

Since then, we've had lots more destruction of our national forests, as mandated by -- the EPA.  For 40 years, the EPA has steadily and relentlessly cut back on what was formerly wise, eco-friendly practices of thinning standing dead timber by issuing cutting permits to thousands of entrepeneurs who made their livings, or enhanced their incomes by selling firewood.  They are almost all gone today, since it's nearly impossible to get permits in the Western states. 

Following this irresponsible and destructive practice, the pine borer beetle, once limited to fringe areas, has vectored out and across millions of square miles of forests, wiping out even more timber -- all ready and waiting to be sparked-off.  The damage is so massive that it's easily observed flying cross-country (as I'm sure you know).

Consequently, our once great Republic is now a continental tinderbox, ripe for a well coordinated terrorist arson attack.

...And so it goes, deep (well, you know)... 

Wow I can't believe there are like minded people on here, I come from a long line of wildland fire people. Management of fire and forests went out the window long ago. All the cattlemen were run off the land with their brush trimming horrible cows. In my short little lifetime I have seen the changes in fuel load and the frequency of huge firestorms just keeps increasing. Have you ever noticed how fires start in Mexico and are out 2 or 3 days later? No firemen, no planes, no newscrews. Historically Cuyamaca burned off every 2 years, at least parts of it. So now instead of smaller low temperature fires we now have raging high speed sterilizing conflagrations, with massive loss of property and sometimes lives.

Opps am I ranting? You want terrorists look at the dogooders who have painted themselves into a corner now.

This country doesn't need help self destructing, we are doing it ourselves at all levels.

I will stop now before I go into welfare, obesity, laws to protect us, gun control, enviromental protection....

Uncle C.

Wow I can't believe there are like minded people on here, I come from a long line of wildland fire people. Management of fire and forests went out the window long ago. All the cattlemen were run off the land with their brush trimming horrible cows. In my short little lifetime I have seen the changes in fuel load and the frequency of huge firestorms just keeps increasing. Have you ever noticed how fires start in Mexico and are out 2 or 3 days later? No firemen, no planes, no newscrews. Historically Cuyamaca burned off every 2 years, at least parts of it. So now instead of smaller low temperature fires we now have raging high speed sterilizing conflagrations, with massive loss of property and sometimes lives.

Opps am I ranting? You want terrorists look at the dogooders who have painted themselves into a corner now.

This country doesn't need help self destructing, we are doing it ourselves at all levels.

I will stop now before I go into welfare, obesity, laws to protect us, gun control, enviromental protection....

Uncle C.

Well said uncle Champ! Can I get an Amen?

Uncle C.

Well said uncle Champ! Can I get an Amen?

Amen!!