bikeslut

happy birthday dug!

Wow, I ought to read the threads a bit more often on here. Thanks (only 2 months late)!

Actually, I had a good birthday, I was out on a Caribou hunt. They were a little rough to find this year - winter was rough on the herd so they were scattered around - but I got one and put over 200 lbs of meat in the freezer!

Things are going well up here for me. Not as much time on two wheels playing as last summer - more on three wheels and two floating things. I still got to commute to work quite a bit on the bike though!

z8c9.jpg

gl2o.jpg

ep8t.jpg

Nice...don't eat all the meat at one time. nice to see you're still getting your nature fix!

Nice pics. What kind of plane, yours? What is your rifle of choice for caribou? It should be getting close to snowmobile season there. When are you coming down for a visit?

Nice pics. What kind of plane, yours? What is your rifle of choice for caribou? It should be getting close to snowmobile season there. When are you coming down for a visit?

Ken - nice to hear from you. My plane is a 1961 Piper PA-18 Super Cub. 160 horsepower, two seats of Alaska fun! It's got 31 inch bush tires for the gravel stips and sand bars, floats for the lakes, and I just picked up a set of skis for the winter landings out in the bush and up on the glaciers. It's not the prettiest plane on the ramp but it will do far more than I'm willing to do with it just yet! I was surprised at just how little of the state you can get to by bike/jeep/atv/etc. An airplane is really the best "SUV" to have. That and the snow machine. When the lakes, rivers, and marshes freeze up and get a few feet of snow, you can get around pretty well. Plus they're so much fun to ride!

For big game, I use a Remington 700 chambered in 300 WinMag. Easy to find good ammo in the stores up here and a nice flat-shooting round.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be back that way again. I changed jobs once again and am now spending most of my time flying the desk. I still get to fly with the AF a few times a month, but the trips are few and far between. I'd love to get down and do some riding with you guys when the schedule (work and play) allows!

Great pics Doug! Need to get up there sometime and say hello :)

Great pics Doug! Need to get up there sometime and say hello smile.gif

[somebody needs to update his sig...]

A person could ride a 690 there.

Great pics Doug! Need to get up there sometime and say hello :)/>/>

Come on up!!! I'd suggest waiting until next spring if you want to ride bikes though! Still no snow on the ground down here, but it won't be long - it seems like the snowline is moving down the mountains every day.

A person could ride a 690 there.

A big bike is probably the better bet up here. You wind up doing lots of miles to see the sights. I've definitely put more miles on the 950 than the 450, but that doesn't mean the little bike doesn't get dirty now and again!

kjk.JPG