Bagstr

Topo Map Routing

Tech Question: Is it possible to coax Auto Routing from a Topo route? This summer I was riding in the National Forest with a guy who appeared to get a route through a maze of FS roads

similar to what City Navigator does on the pavement. I have both programs on my 60csx but only auto route working with CN.

Thanks

I know this has been asked before, but it still bugs me. Possibly newer versions of the program. Mine has been updated online.

PB,

Finally, an explanation. Thank You muchly.

Which esplains why my 3.02 version of Topo 100k operates in the Dark Ages.

And any new device requires a New copy of Topo, throw in City Navigator and you are talking real money.

Montana $400 - City Nav $75 - Western States 24k x3 $270 = $745

I may join Kug and just use scanned copies of Benchmark.

"How about this difference--100K is NOT routable so NO way to pick a point and get the route mapped out to get there! Duh. Learned this the hard way after paying more for a "t" version with the 100K topo, setting in waypoints and then getting the "Route Calculation Error-Map does not have routable road" message. Very disappointing. Pricey GPS should tell you how to get there, yes? Should be clear that 100K is a fail in this area and more maps like 24k or City Navigator is needed before a newbie buys 1st GPS"

From GPS City - Chat comments

After doing an trip to Prudhoe this summer with the Montana, I'm never going back to the 60/62 series. I bought a second locking AMPS mount for the WRR. The Montana is worth every penny I paid for it!

My 60CSX will soon be listed for sale!

PB,

And any new device requires a New copy of Topo, throw in City Navigator and you are talking real money.

"How about this difference--100K is NOT routable so NO way to pick a point and get the route mapped out to get there! Duh. Learned this the hard way after paying more for a "t" version with the 100K topo, setting in waypoints and then getting the "Route Calculation Error-Map does not have routable road" message. Very disappointing. Pricey GPS should tell you how to get there, yes? Should be clear that 100K is a fail in this area and more maps like 24k or City Navigator is needed before a newbie buys 1st GPS"

After doing an trip to Prudhoe this summer with the Montana, I'm never going back to the 60/62 series. I bought a second locking AMPS mount for the WRR. Worth every penny I paid for it!

My 60CSX will soon be listed for sale!

PB,

Probably my next big purchase

And if you know how to use torrents, you can download everyone of the Garmin Topo 24K maps. Just Google what you want you'll find them on many torrent sites. The Topos don't lock to your GPS like CN does, so there is no activation for them. They are about 4GB each, and it takes six of them to cover the entire US, but if you get just the West version, it has CA, NV, OR and WA.