Desertrunner

DRZ Rifle Mount

I built a rifle mount on the side of my bike a while back. I finally had a chance to use it this weekend. I rode out to a friend's house in the Temecula/Anza area and brought my rifle along to do some target shooting.

I read through the CA penal code, checked with the Attorney General's office, and called the CHP. They informed me that, if I wanted to, I could unload my rifle and carry it on my back with the sling and still be legal, but that would obviously be a little obnoxious and attract unwanted attention. Otherwise, the law doesn't distinguish between types of "motor vehicles" and it is perfectly legal for me to carry my rifle on my bike as long as it's unloaded.

Although I'd love to have an engraved leather scabbard for my "horse," I made do with what I have, a soft case that I usually use for my 10/22. Unfortunately, I had to remove the scope for it to fit. Even then it was a tight fit, but it worked. I don't really want the scope bouncing around in the case anyways.

I rode about 100 miles, about 20 of it being rural dirt roads with lots of washboard, etc. Everything stayed in place nicely, although I won't be taking it on any rough trails.

The case fits in line with the bike nicely. I got some odd stares from people that looked closely at stop lights, but most people didn't seem to pay attention. I passed two police officers and they didn't seem to care, or notice; I'm not sure which. I did, however, get the thumbs up from a bunch of Harley riders I pulled up next to at a stop light. They were pretty busy too, looking tough in their shiny "Harley Davidson" vests and half helmets, and saving lives with their straight pipes. Oh, and on another note, I didn't have any tailgaters the whole ride. Coincidence? :heh:

(I unstrapped the yellow bungee in the below pics)

DSCF0538A_zpsc500a359.jpg

DSCF0544_zpsf62fdfb7.jpg

DSCF0583_zps80501bac.jpg

For those that are curious, the 17HMR is a lot of fun to shoot. Those groups were at 100 yards offhand in the sitting position. I get ~1.5" groups at 200+ yards with a benchrest and about 3-4" of drop when zeroed for 100. I haven't done much shooting this past year because ammo is so hard to find lately. I paid $21 dollars for a box of 50 rounds. The CCIs were $25. I used to pay about $12. I can't even find 22LR. Just about everything else is too expensive to have any fun with.

Sounds like a fun day.

Yeah, I'm sure some motorists were wondering. Good to do your homework ahead of time.

Ok. I'll just say this. It's right-wing, gun-toting types like you that make this world . . . AWESOME!

Dude. That is righteous. Although I just know I would dump on that side and ruin the whole thing. Have you thought about a triple-clamp mounted system where the gun runs parallel to the forks? We have recently noted some quail spots that I hope to ride back to this fall. Been wondering how to pack a shotgun.

Good shooting, BTW.

^^^Thanks. As I read your post, I thought, "here we go, that's the end of this thread." Funny.

I couldn't make the case fit up front. It would snag the flares/radiators, or it would rub the front tire. Plus, I was worried the steering would be too heavy and that it would get crushed under the fork/wheel if (I mean when) I fall.

I found this design to work best, I just had to measure carefully to make sure the bottom bracket didn't hit my boot. This design also allows me to adjust the suspension to compensate the extra weight. I thought the ride was pretty good considering I had about 30 or so pounds of gear thrown on, shooting and non-shooting related.

I could unload my rifle and carry it on my back with the sling and still be legal

it is perfectly legal for me to carry my rifle on my bike as long as it's unloaded.

I just don't want anybody to do anything that would get them in trouble.

Two things;

first: "I could unload my rifle and carry it on my back with the sling and still be legal"

Unloaded open carry is not legal any more in incorporated areas. So you'd need a case when you get on and off your bike (unless you are in an unincorporated area where discharge is legal the firearm must be completely encased[if the case is made specifically for a firearm, no lock is needed unless passing through a gun free safe zone(school)])

second: "it is perfectly legal for me to carry my rifle on my bike as long as it's unloaded."

Again, it has to be in a case when you get on/off, unless you are in an unincorporated area where discharge is legal.

" SEC. 12. Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) is added to

Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6 of the Penal Code, to read:

CHAPTER 7. CARRYING AN UNLOADED FIREARM THAT IS NOT A HANDGUN

IN AN INCORPORATED CITY OR CITY AND COUNTY

Article 1. Crime of Carrying an Unloaded Firearm that is not a

Handgun in an Incorporated City or City and County

26400. (a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm

that is not a handgun in an incorporated city or city and county when

that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that

is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in the incorporated city or

city and county.

(B) (1) Except as specified in paragraph (2), a violation of this

section is a misdemeanor.

26405. Section 26400 does not apply to, or affect, the carrying

of an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun in any of the following

circumstances:

© When the firearm is either

in a locked container or

encased

and it is being transported directly between places where a person is

not prohibited from possessing that firearm and the course of travel

shall include only those deviations between authorized locations as

are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

16505. For purposes of Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400)

of Division 5 of Title 4, a firearm is "encased" when that firearm is

enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of

containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled,

tied, or otherwise fastened with no part of that firearm exposed."

more info on Calguns.net and here:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

where you can loaded open/concealed carry:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

Yo Nick, pretty sure that's not legal. But it looks awesome.

Some peeps prolly don't remember when you could enter the gate at buckman springs and ride up to the top and shoot. Kitchen creek too. You can still see the old shooting areas but theyre are blocked off now.

Used to disassemble my Ruger 10/22 and my Winchester 22lr and backpack them and shoot a lot. 500 round bricks were cheap at Wally's World back In The day.

But you can still do it at Super, just donate some cash and the range is open. Much longer ride to shoot nowadays but you can do it there and along the Split Mt rd in designated spots as well as many other place near Otay Mt.

Target blury, sight crisp, don't breathe freeze and squeeze then look......lol

Thanks for info guys.

Drabnor: I did specifically research incorporated zones, and especially schools zones. Although I managed to avoid both, I don't intend to make trouble or push any boundaries, so I keep the bolt and magazine separate and use three locks, one on the gun, one on the case, and a third attaching the case to the bike. Hopefully that shows my intent to keep the gun secure and stay within the law.

Welcome to the PRK, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia! I plead the 2nd. What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand?

Other than the big Ruger symbol on the bag, this would be the ticket for ride/shoot outings: Ruger 10/22 takedown

11100.jpg

It takes less than 10 seconds to assemble and shoots just as good as my normal 10/22.

If you want something more than a 22 and want to leave the scope on, pick up a Kolpin Gun Boot

Gun_Boot_IV___Bl_4c0d1caa140df.jpg

These things are tough. Plus, you can put a lock on it if needed to be legal.

They seem to be the hot ticket up here...

vuxm.jpg

Hey Nick here's a link for that range which has direction and long /lat. it's about 100 miles from my house and I go. Lose by on my Glamis runs. I'm doing one in about two weeks if you want to meet up or tag along. Camping could happen also.

Plus one on the 10/22, if you can shoot one of these well without a scope then any bigger bore rifle is a breeze. Reminds me of the M-16 accuracy.

http://ivrpa.net/InterClub_Shoot_IVRPA.doc

Other than the big Ruger symbol on the bag, this would be the ticket for ride/shoot outings: Ruger 10/22 takedown

11100.jpg

It takes less than 10 seconds to assemble and shoots just as good as my normal 10/22.

If you want something more than a 22 and want to leave the scope on, pick up a Kolpin Gun Boot

Gun_Boot_IV___Bl_4c0d1caa140df.jpg

These things are tough. Plus, you can put a lock on it if needed to be legal.

They seem to be the hot ticket up here...

vuxm.jpg

Hi Doug

Long time no see. Last time I saw you was in Lake Elsinore.

Hope you are enjoying Alaska.

I have one of these Ruger Stainless takedown 22s with the gaudy Ruger logo. I throw it in the back of my Jeep in Page when heading out into Grand Staircase etc.. It is a great tool to have along. Don't bother to carry it on a motorcycle though. Can't imagine ever needing it on a bike. If I couldn't out run a problem on a bike I shouldn't be out there on one. As an old Infantry Officer from the 60's I have to admit it is a fun to shoot however. I don't run into the Grizzlys you run into in Alaska. Just the Infantry Officer in me.

Hope things are going well for you up there.

Don