Others can chime in on trail numbers/names, but I recall 1, 3, 3a, 5, 12, a "new" jeep trail, couple of single track and whatever else.

I've never been down more times on a ride than I was today. Some of these trails were not easy, but I wouldn't call them really difficult either. I reserve that title for pucker pincher moments and I didn't have any of those today. Despite the dozen falls I took ( 1/4 of them for no real reason), the multiple stalls and whatever else was going wrong for me. Just not in the right mindset I guess. I have my ideas why I was doing my wrongs, but in the end I came out with everyone else.

I will say that some of those trails ridden in the opposite direction than what we did would be quite the challenge and would drain me quicker than a pig eating slop. For example going up 3a and then 3. No thank you.

Who was there - Robert, Albert, Ahmed, Maurie (correction - it's RORY) and ran across Brad, Brianna and two other guys (sorry guys - too many names to remember).

I grabbed a few stills from video.

post-15129-046152800 1374976309_thumb.pn

post-15129-082679700 1374976319_thumb.pn

post-15129-029184600 1374976342_thumb.pn

post-15129-067991200 1374976351_thumb.pn

post-15129-054266000 1374976361_thumb.pn

post-15129-001069800 1374976374_thumb.pn

post-15129-007945900 1374976386_thumb.pn

post-15129-026421100 1374976396_thumb.pn

The two others were sdlineman and myself. Team sleepy did trail one to ranger at the end met with the early riders did the jeep trail, 911(d?), then back on ranger.

After some rest at camp, I set out alone and went up 3a to 3 to the top of bronco peak and back to camp.

The two others were sdlineman and myself. Team sleepy did trail one to ranger at the end met with the early riders did the jeep trail, 911(d?), then back on ranger.

After some rest at camp, I set out alone and went up 3a to 3 to the top of bronco peak and back to camp.

Good job on 3a/3. jbw are you the bay area rider?

That would be me. Wish I had an OHV with technical trails like corral as close to the Bay area.

This is one ride I will not forget or maybe I do want to forget. Maybe it was the fact, I am not the type to start riding at 6. For me this ride was great due to the company, but terrible for the way I rode.

Never seemed to be abel to relax the whole ride, definitely those trails where a bit to much for me. I lost track of how many times I dropped the bike, luckily Robert helped me out once to many times

and was extremely patient and gave great riding tips. But close to the end of the ride my clutch hand just gave up and could not get on the horse again. Thats when the other group from jbw, Brianna and the others

saw me on the side of ranger tired and ready to quit. Thankfully they gave me some snacks and patiently waited till I could ride again, few more rocks later I was out and never have I been so happy to see a fire road. From there I rode the

fire road to my truck and headed to starbucks for a much needed cold caffeine drink. I think I am going to stay away from riding technical trails till it gets cooler out there.

I'm surprised we didn't see you guys at all...

We were riding by 7 after staging at the crossroads. Unfortunately though, we had an injury almost right away. We spent a good amount of time making sure he was ok. He went back to the truck and was kind enough (or tough enough) to let us finish our ride.

We rode Kernan up to 1, 2, 6, 1, Ranger. I overheated on Ranger (my body) and had to stop and ditch out at the "Trail 11 bail out". KTM-licious, no shame whatsoever in being hot/tired after what you guys rode! To me, it got hot really fast.

I peeled off my body armor and enjoyed an "air conditioning" run from 11 over to the end of Ranger to meet up with the rest of my group. From there we rode the fire road to 2, 1, and Kernan back down to the trucks.

Not too long of a day and not too tough of a ride, but it was good to get out there just the same. Was a great morning other than the injury...

Safe rides!

Chad

This is one ride I will not forget or maybe I do want to forget. Maybe it was the fact, I am not the type to start riding at 6. For me this ride was great due to the company, but terrible for the way I rode.

Never seemed to be abel to relax the whole ride, definitely those trails where a bit to much for me. I lost track of how many times I dropped the bike, luckily Robert helped me out once to many times

and was extremely patient and gave great riding tips. But close to the end of the ride my clutch hand just gave up and could not get on the horse again. Thats when the other group from jbw, Brianna and the others

saw me on the side of ranger tired and ready to quit. Thankfully they gave me some snacks and patiently waited till I could ride again, few more rocks later I was out and never have I been so happy to see a fire road. From there I rode the

fire road to my truck and headed to starbucks for a much needed cold caffeine drink. I think I am going to stay away from riding technical trails till it gets cooler out there.

Albert, sorry about your hard times. I think we waited too long to check on you after your last down. Ahmed was about to go back to you when Brad rode up and said his party was with you. Nonetheless, I should have taken up the rear on the last little leg and I apologize for not being there for you. I hope in the end you think of the ride this way; you made it out. That in itself is accomplishment. You took on a challenge, had your setbacks, learned how to do things different and you made it back to your truck without injury. Sounds like a ride worth reflection.

I've been meaning to find a spot close to home to work on technical stuff i.e., throttle and clutch use and balancing over rocks and logs. You know something where you can practice technique over and over again at one spot. Or at the least head out to one of the usual trail riding spots and pic a few different obstacles we could tackle over and over again for a chat and practice session. If this interests you let me know.

I'm surprised we didn't see you guys at all...

We were riding by 7 after staging at the crossroads. Unfortunately though, we had an injury almost right away. We spent a good amount of time making sure he was ok. He went back to the truck and was kind enough (or tough enough) to let us finish our ride.

We rode Kernan up to 1, 2, 6, 1, Ranger. I overheated on Ranger (my body) and had to stop and ditch out at the "Trail 11 bail out". KTM-licious, no shame whatsoever in being hot/tired after what you guys rode! To me, it got hot really fast.

I peeled off my body armor and enjoyed an "air conditioning" run from 11 over to the end of Ranger to meet up with the rest of my group. From there we rode the fire road to 2, 1, and Kernan back down to the trucks.

Not too long of a day and not too tough of a ride, but it was good to get out there just the same. Was a great morning other than the injury...

Safe rides!

Chad

That is unfortunate about your injured party. Hope he's well. And as for the heat, it didn't hit me as hard this time as it did on our evening run a few weeks ago. But there was plenty other things messing with me on this ride. Mostly my mind.

I believe we arrived at 5:50 and got started by 6:30 and returned to the 4 wheeled transport by 11:30. Robert continued on riding with Bard and the gang for a bit. We ended up riding much longer than we had anticipated.

I was definitely feeling the fatigue once we hit that Jeep trail (10:45am-ish), not to mention the two spills on that trail that took even more out of me. Those falls were definitely signs of me fading on the day, because they weren't difficult rocks. All in all there was some good stuff out there and Ranger (which is 12 right?) was a good mix of things. With little sleep the night before and the physical exertion from the day, I was ready for nighty nighty by 9pm. Feeling it in certain spots on the body today.

This is one ride I will not forget or maybe I do want to forget. Maybe it was the fact, I am not the type to start riding at 6.

We've all had these days.

Ask me about Flagstaff sometime.

This is one ride I will not forget or maybe I do want to forget. Maybe it was the fact, I am not the type to start riding at 6.

We've all had these days.

Ask me about Flagstaff sometime.

Better yet...I have a video of Flagstaff...turn up the volume

Better yet...I have a video of Flagstaff...turn up the volume

That line was like telling a kid you have candy for him, but not telling him where. :bye:/>/>

I'm sure Paul has the link in his "favorite"

Or- just search the ride reports for Arizona- from 2011 or 2012 I believe

When a man kicks his bike, you know it's been a long day

Thanks all that was good!! Temps were not too hot, the last run to the bobcat campsite with the team sleepy crew was the perfect send off, that pushed my training level to just to where I wanted to be.

The 310 put the hammerdown on that first section of ranger the other direction, and I got a little burned out by the last run to the campsite.

No injuries everyone safe, the first crew got to see me on my arse (and laughing at myself), Rory that silly step up caught me out, the splatter technique went all wrong at the high center and motor stall.

1st crew did the ugly downhills and we all got through safely, then stepped it up after the meet up continuation ride and everyone rolled through the truck trail rocks well with temps creeping up fast. Good challenging ride.

Glad everybody had fun and there were no serious injuries

Albert- 3A, 7 and parts of 11 are LEGIT trails; congrats on finishing

maybe we could convince Albert to join the smaller/lighter bike trend to increase his smile factor on the technical/tuff zone rides. 250-350 4t, 200-300 2t.

Thanks Bob,

Felt like a looser for a bit, I usually don't push myself that much so it felt bad falling on almost every run.

Luke, I would love to practice more, we just have to find a place closer to where we live. Then

maybe we could go on a ride with Robert and not feel like we are boring him.

Robert, after riding your husky I am considering getting something lighter, but right now

that would feel like cheating. I would like to conquer my bike first. (If I can)

Thanks Bob,

Felt like a looser for a bit, I usually don't push myself that much so it felt bad falling on almost every run.

Luke, I would love to practice more, we just have to find a place closer to where we live. Then

maybe we could go on a ride with Robert and not feel like we are boring him.

Robert, after riding your husky I am considering getting something lighter, but right now

that would feel like cheating. I would like to conquer my bike first. (If I can)

Albert, try to let go of the failure thoughts. There will always be better and worse riders than yourself, myself and everyone else. My take is, once you let those thoughts go, you can focus more on how you can improve, challenge, change your riding, and most importantly learn from all of it. I was crashing up a storm Saturday and I know why, but I didn't let it get me down. That only makes for a horrible day and who wants to think of riding as horrible, not me. Look at the positive things you did Saturday as there were many.

Okay, we'll have to find something Otayish or Alpineish that has a few rocks to bump over (ANYONE HAVE SUGGESTIONS)?

As for the smaller bike idea. I concur something different would help you e.g., less weight, less height and different power. I've been in the market for a TE310. Those things are fun, nimble, light (lighter than my 450) and the power is nice. And by no means is it cheating or failure to pick a bike that suits your needs. A bike that suits you better will only help you excel exponentially. The KTM, at this time, is hindering you from making advances you otherwise would have accomplished by now on a bike that fits you better. Getting a lighter horse doesn't mean you need to put down the pumpkin Clydesdale. Keep her for bigger dual sport rides.

Albert- practice...my bike weighs more than yours, and its rarely an issue

Ranger, 3 on the east side (fireroad up to 1), and trail8 are good trails that are "just hard enough"

I've been meaning to chime in but was trying to get the pictures downloaded from the phone, but the damn usb will not work.

Anyway, i had a few pics and videos from my phone which i will try to post later.

As for the ride itself, good company, challenging trails, everyone made it out without injuries which to me equates to a good day.

Albert, don't be too hard on yourself. I've ridden with you before and you ride solid. Even the best have bad days and this happened to be yours.

The main thing is, you completed the ride and the way i look at things, more experience on black diamond trails which no doubt will help our abilities. Thanks Robert & Maurie (i think?) for leading/helping and showing us around.

I had to attempt 3a (close to campground with the narrow opening up top) and will be back to attempt the entire 3a, 3 up next time. Ranger was awesome! The jeep trail/11? with Spaugh and his group had a good mix of rocks, boulders and although we were pretty drained by that time, i thought that was the best shortest trail to practice technical riding.

By the time Logroller and i got back to the car, we were literally done.

One thing is certain, we will be back for more (Albert said he will never go on my rides, but i know he will be back for more) :)/>/>

Guess I got to set this straight, its Rory, not Maurie. I've been called lots of things but thats a new one. Anyway, awesome ride, great weather had a good time. Can't wait to see the vid of you going back up 3A there at the slot! And dang Robert I missed it! Make sure you do that stuff when I can see it. So after the jeep trail and we went our separate ways I came across a new to me jeep trail, 11D Winchester? I think. It has a good challenging rock garden that has me thankful for long legs and a light bike. But it was short so I hit Ranger hoping to see you guys on the way back. Never did so I took Ranger to 4 and then back to Bobcat where I got on Bills trail. Half way back another rider and I meet going in opposite directions. I went down as we met but fortunately not hard. Then not 3 minutes later, I'm in total defense mode now and here comes a quadtard flying sideways around a corner and just m-i-s-s-e-s by inches as I'm totally in the bushes. I crawled back to the jeep.

I'd be up for that dualsport ride in Otay/Alpine so make sure you guys post up

Also saw this today from a friend(Dave Johnston)that some of you may know of his encounter with some mtn bikers last weekend, hope this works

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=fd4d0c8927dbf2331e83bbda32ac7c21&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thumpertalk.com%2Ftopic%2F1005122-san-diego-area-rides-look-here%2Fpage__st__180&v=1&libId=18b56828-4578-4b87-a9f9-c192ae47d85b&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8EfcCpHAIKg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thumpertalk.com%2Fforum%2F71-california%2F&title=%5BCalifornia-Southern%5D%20San%20Diego%20area%20rides-look%20here%20-%20Page%2010%20-%20California%20-%20ThumperTalk%20-%20Page%2010&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube....h%3Fv%3D8EfcCpHAIKg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13751534884056

We need 1-way trails!!

Albert- practice...my bike weighs more than yours, and its rarely an issue

Ranger, 3 on the east side (fireroad up to 1), and trail8 are good trails that are "just hard enough"

I agree on the practice note and many have conquered the shortcomings a specific bike has given them, even height issues. I think if one has the funds, and is willing, it would be worth the purchase to find a bike that better suits one's height. Maybe the seat could be shaved a little and the suspension dropped slightly would be enough to help out in the height department.

As for weight, Albert I think you might be manhandling too much, instead of riding the bike. Manhandling a bike will poop you out quick. Picking better lines, using the throttle more and working on balancing will lesson early on ride fatigue. I'm far from an advanced rider, but that's how I look at it.

Guess I got to set this straight, its Rory, not Maurie. I've been called lots of things but thats a new one. Anyway, awesome ride, great weather had a good time. Can't wait to see the vid of you going back up 3A there at the slot! And dang Robert I missed it! Make sure you do that stuff when I can see it. So after the jeep trail and we went our separate ways I came across a new to me jeep trail, 11D Winchester? I think. It has a good challenging rock garden that has me thankful for long legs and a light bike. But it was short so I hit Ranger hoping to see you guys on the way back. Never did so I took Ranger to 4 and then back to Bobcat where I got on Bills trail. Half way back another rider and I meet going in opposite directions. I went down as we met but fortunately not hard. Then not 3 minutes later, I'm in total defense mode now and here comes a quadtard flying sideways around a corner and just m-i-s-s-e-s by inches as I'm totally in the bushes. I crawled back to the jeep.

I'd be up for that dualsport ride in Otay/Alpine so make sure you guys post up

Also saw this today from a friend(Dave Johnston)that some of you may know of his encounter with some mtn bikers last weekend, hope this works

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=fd4d0c8927dbf2331e83bbda32ac7c21&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thumpertalk.com%2Ftopic%2F1005122-san-diego-area-rides-look-here%2Fpage__st__180&v=1&libId=18b56828-4578-4b87-a9f9-c192ae47d85b&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8EfcCpHAIKg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thumpertalk.com%2Fforum%2F71-california%2F&title=%5BCalifornia-Southern%5D%20San%20Diego%20area%20rides-look%20here%20-%20Page%2010%20-%20California%20-%20ThumperTalk%20-%20Page%2010&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube....h%3Fv%3D8EfcCpHAIKg&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13751534884056

We need 1-way trails!!

Oops my mistake Cory, I mean Laurie. No that's not right. Is it Dory, or was it Morley???? I kid Rory, thanks for setting it straight. Sorry about your run ins at the end. You're a good rider and I'm sure it was your skills that kept you safe. I heard you say back at the vehicles, "I hate this place!" From what you have told us about past experiences you sure have had your bad share of events out there. Time to start riding in the middle of the pack.

I didn't see Robert make the attempt, but I did come up just at the end of his bailout, standing and laughing. Just to pick the bike up and still get over the same route. While Brianna and I said, I think we'll go that way to the right. Good job Robert as always.