Hey folks....bummer, my favorite micro-brewery, but I will not buy their beer anymore....please check out this page and see the letter someone wrote to them and the response he got....they support the Sierra Club and the Center for Biological Diversity...2 of the extreme environmental groups who are responsible for many lawsuits closing down lots of public land and tying up the federal and state government's monies fighting BS lawsuits.....

I will be trying new beers and not buy SN anymore...it WAS my favorite microbrewery.......

From the Boycott Sierra Nevada Brewery Facebook page

Posted from Don Schmidt.

(Here is the response I got from SN regarding their support of SC)

Thanks for reaching out.

In the past, we have supported groups such as the Sierra Club and the Center for Biodiversity because of their efforts to preserve vast amounts of wild spaces. We realize that these efforts can sometimes create friction with those who have a different perspective on how wilderness can be enjoyed. This is true with most groups working in the wilderness space. We’ve found that hunters, hikers, fishermen, backpackers and off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts can be the most active conservationists around. Responsible members of each group are equally interested in preserving wild lands for a myriad of reasons beyond simple conservation for conservation’s sake. These active parties are making great strides in building awareness and sharing the burden of keeping our wilderness pristine yet accessible for public use.

We believe there should be a balance in preserving wild lands for nature and wildlife, as well as creating spaces for people to use for recreation. Our primary motivation in our conservation efforts is keeping the wilderness wild and unspoiled so that when we have the chance to get out and enjoy it, it remains unencumbered with the trappings of urban life.

We still believe that the Sierra Club and the Center for Biodiversity are doing good work in keeping our wild lands wild, but we know that there can—and should be—a balance. We all need to work together to find a happy medium between conservation, preservation and access, and would welcome any dialogue on how to better achieve these goals.

Again, we appreciate you contacting us and hope this clarifies our position.

Best,

Ryan

didn't sound like they are fully anti OHV. keeping untouched land that doesn't have roads on it is one thing. Going out and trying to shut down riding areas and OHV areas that are already established is another. yes, i am defending them. mostly only because their beers are delicious...

unfortunately most of the good breweries are from northern CA and Oregon and have similar views. probably most of the local breweries too... :drinks:

Doesn't seem to be that bad of a response - other than the fact that they're sticking to their guns on supporting communist hippies. But, if it motivates you to move on to one of the many WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better breweries just in San Diego alone, then I'm all for it. SN is mediocre stuff, anyway

Just finished a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA myself.

Doesn't seem to be that bad of a response - other than the fact that they're sticking to their guns on supporting communist hippies. But, if it motivates you to move on to one of the many WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better breweries just in San Diego alone, then I'm all for it. SN is mediocre stuff, anyway

Just finished a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA myself.

sculpin killer: :torch::drinks: At least try some of this before you quit Randy. :dead:

9111489513_91252ba2bd_c.jpg

9111487209_71d7c1539c_c.jpg

Make no mistake the Sierra Club is NOT about balance. Don't fall for Hope and Change - this is a political spin by Sierra Nevada to keep customer base outside of the tree hugger world. The Sierra Club will not stop until we cannot ride except on paved roads in CA and Sierra Nevada - as much as I like the beer and have for 25+ years (I have a can from 1985ish when they started as simply "Sierra").

There are soooo many other good beers out there to drink. The craft beer culture may be against ORV in general but most don't have the cash to support the anti ORV cause so we can drink them till they get too big.

I believe Stone is also supporting restricted of use of the oceans and lands beyond what F&G allows as well. Tommy??

Yeah...I think Sierra is getting a bit corporate. Let's ask them if they'll advertise in off road mags and donate to CORVA if they support "balance".

I also heard Sierra filed a lawsuit against a small brewery back east who already was using their own name for a new beer but Sierra wanted to use the same name....so they sued, even after being asked to drop the suit.

I disagree Sierra is mediocre ....they brew some fantastic specialty brews in smaller quantities.

Center for Biological Diversity is even worse than the Sierra Club. They are a very extreme group and were the primary drivers behind the lawsuit in 2000 against the BLM, forcing (for lack of a better word)them to close almost 50% of the ISDRA (Glamis). They are also part of the lawsuit against California State Parks in their effort to close open riding in OW. I was involved in supporting (both monetarily and volunteering) organizations like the ASA that fought these groups for a number of years. They are a serious threat and anytime I can make small changes, like purchasing a different beer, that will impact their supporters, I'll do it.

Crap!!! I liked thier beer. That is why I homebrew. :ph34r:

Maybe we could get some chef's together and make SDAR BEER and all proceeds go to protect "our right to ride" :party:

Yeah...I think Sierra is getting a bit corporate. Let's ask them if they'll advertise in off road mags and donate to CORVA if they support "balance".

I also heard Sierra filed a lawsuit against a small brewery back east who already was using their own name for a new beer but Sierra wanted to use the same name....so they sued, even after being asked to drop the suit.

I disagree Sierra is mediocre ....they brew some fantastic specialty brews in smaller quantities.

I think soliciting a "like" contribution to corva/etc is a worthy request

They admit as much in their canned response that "OHV people" want to enjoy nature as well

The whole treehugger/microbrew/hipster/flannel thing is mostly a facade. They are a huge business, with corporate people sending out thoughtful but legalese responses

Sierra Club and CBD are not some grass roots hiking group either- they arewell funded legal machines churning out lawsuit after lawsuit, and spreading inaccurate information to the populace

Karl_Strauss_Windansea_Wheat.jpg

Just picked up a six pack... dEEE lishus!

I like the SDAR Beer idea, let me know when I can buy some! :coolio:

Boycott Sierra Nevada? Easy. Their best selling Pale Ale is bitter swill.

Try anything from these guys in Santee.

http://www.manzanitabrewing.com/

ipa_bottle_0.png

Much better brews and I guarantee they'd be glad to have a picture of a group of offroad adventurers on their website enjoying their beer.