From Anza Borrego GPS explorer

Otay Mountain

I’ve been in communication with the BLM office that administers Otay Mountain. They are currently in the process of changing “the plan” for the area. The plan that they’re expecting to approve will be closing a some roads in the area. Puebla Tree runs from Otay Truck Trail along the border to Marron Valley is expected to be closed soon. If you haven’t had a chance to enjoy it, do so now.

You guys heard about this?

Zancat

the BLM loves to keep people away from the border. its "for your own good". Its BS!!! They did the same crap in the Jacumba wilderness area. Only border patrol is allowed to drive on the roads next to the border.

I see lots of people target shooting near Marron Valley Road. More now than in the past. I know that has led to other areas of San Diego County being shut down to access. Don't know if that is it or not.

Bummer.

Is that the trail along where monument 250 is?

The "trails" up there are full blown dirt roads, some of which have been recently improved. Any truck or suv would have no problem on the roads. Passenger cars may get rattled around a bit by the washboard areas. No sand and really no difficult sections. A few rocks along Monument 250 section.

Looks like the wilderness does not extend to the road areas. The road along the border, as well as the two roads up and over Otay Mtn are outside the wilderness area. Download this 1998 BLM map PDF and you can zoom in on it to see the boundaries.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pa/wilderness/maps_1page.Par.3354.File.dat/otay_mtn.pdf

This page also says hunting is allowed inside the wilderness area, but the area surrounding Marron Valley Rd is designated as city or state land on this PDF map.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/prog/wilderness/wa/areas/otay_mountain.html

Looks like the wilderness does not extend to the road areas. The road along the border, as well as the two roads up and over Otay Mtn are outside the wilderness area. Download this 1998 BLM map PDF and you can zoom in on it to see the boundaries.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/pa/wilderness/maps_1page.Par.3354.File.dat/otay_mtn.pdf

This page also says hunting is allowed inside the wilderness area, but the area surrounding Marron Valley Rd is designated as city or state land on this PDF map.

maybe you should call and let BLM know they are out of their jurisdiction. I'm sure that conversation will go well. Good luck fighting the machine.

Sorry for the negativity. Its not directed towards anyone here. I've been through this sort of thing with them and it never goes the way you want.

Same thing is happening in mission trails right by my house. I bought this house so I could hike and ride my bike on the trails. And since we have moved in 10 years ago, they have closed down 2 of the 3 trails within walking distance of my house because people that lived near the trail head were mad about the parking situation. Why did they buy a house next to the trail head then? If you can't keep everyone happy, shut it down, make it illegal!!!

maybe you should call and let BLM know they are out of their jurisdiction. I'm sure that conversation will go well. Good luck fighting the machine.

Sorry for the negativity. Its not directed towards anyone here. I've been through this sort of thing with them and it never goes the way you want.

Same thing is happening in mission trails right by my house. I bought this house so I could hike and ride my bike on the trails. And since we have moved in 10 years ago, they have closed down 2 of the 3 trails within walking distance of my house because people that lived near the trail head were mad about the parking situation. Why did they buy a house next to the trail head then? If you can't keep everyone happy, shut it down, make it illegal!!!

I agree. Those people by the trailhead havnt got a leg to stand on. I'm on the board of the Oceanside Airport Assoc. We have all these idiots that complain about airplane noise constantly. During a recent meeting of the board we had a neighbor begin complaining and continued for about 5 minutes without a stop. I finally raised my hand and said "can I say something? Did you know the airport was here before you moved in? Yes he said. Is anyone forcing you to live near the airport? No he said. So I suggest you sell your house and move, because the airport was here long before you and it's not going anywhere" I got a standing ovation and he stormed out.

I live 9 miles from Palomar airport and signed papers during closing that said I know the airport is there and that airplanes make noise etc....

I agree. Those people by the trailhead havnt got a leg to stand on. I'm on the board of the Oceanside Airport Assoc. We have all these idiots that complain about airplane noise constantly. During a recent meeting of the board we had a neighbor begin complaining and continued for about 5 minutes without a stop. I finally raised my hand and said "can I say something? Did you know the airport was here before you moved in? Yes he said. Is anyone forcing you to live near the airport? No he said. So I suggest you sell your house and move, because the airport was here long before you and it's not going anywhere" I got a standing ovation and he stormed out.

I live 9 miles from Palomar airport and signed papers during closing that said I know the airport is there and that airplanes make noise etc....

That is AWESOME! hahahahahah