Goofy Footer

FMF Quiet Core Insert

Do FMF Quiet Core Inserts actually work at lowering exhaust decibels on FMF pipes?

After a few years of abuse and crashes, my DRZ exhaust was toast. I was happy to see the exhaust go because it was flat out loud! I bought a FMF Powercore IV exhaust for cheap off CL. It's bolted up now but this thing might be even more loud (although it sounds more crisp). I'd really like to quiet this pipe down, it's been freshly repacked. Do the inserts actually work?

Thanks in advance!

yes and if you call them they will give you the dB numbers, they told me that the powercore hex for the husky 310 with S/A is @ 97-98dB and with the quiet core insert low 90s

Yes , they work but not as much as you might expect. I have one on my zyf and had it tested by a ranger once. It passed but the decibel test

Thanks for the replies guys - I'm going to go ahead and order one soon. The bike would sound great at a track and does pull nicely with the pipe on it but it's too darn loud for dualsporting. I rode with bboyle9 on his DRZ434 and stock pipe this weekend - that thing was stealth mode compared to my bike.

I'll report back whenever I install the insert.

I run the FMF Q with insert and spark arrestor on the whyzed. It's usually the quietest bike in the group and even smoked two straight piped CRF-Rs on a sand drag at Ocotillo Wells.

Following up on this thread:

The Q4 is rated at 94db (peaks at 96db) for most bikes. The PowerCore is rated at 98db.

I called FMF and it turns out I have an older PowerCore IV model exhaust - it's designed for maximum power and was built before decible ratings were a big issue. I gained a noticable "seat of the pants" improvement when going to this pipe from my previous aftermarket pipe (that I destroyed in crashes). This pipe definitely performs but I find myself wearing ear plugs more and more while riding. I really enjoyed taking the TW200 to Big Bear - the thing is silent and it doesn't fatigue you.

A new Q4 is $360. I'm okay with sacrificing power for a quieter pipe but sheesh! I did find a long thread about the World's Most Awesome ear plugs (blue wax plugs available on Amazon) and everybody raves about them. At $3 a set for those ear plugs it's far cheaper than a new Q4....

Does anybody know the weight savings from a stock DRZ exhaust to an FMF?

post-14322-097137800 1379440305_thumb.jp

EDIT 9-17-2013 2:40pm by Goofy Footer: I totally spaced and forgot to mention that FMF says the Quiet Core insert (designed to help quiet their PowerCore exhausts) will not work on my older PowerCore model. DoH!

Loud pipes are fodder for non-rider groups to push municipalities to close land for riding. If you can't stand to listen to the noise why should anyone else? Be responsible, be quiet or as quiet as possible.

If you can't justify spending more on a new pipe can you replace the entire muffler tip to get it quieter.

Only $293.66 on Amazon.com.

Thanks for the link - that's an easier pill to swallow

Loud pipes are fodder for non-rider groups to push municipalities to close land for riding. If you can't stand to listen to the noise why should anyone else? Be responsible, be quiet or as quiet as possible.

If you can't justify spending more on a new pipe can you replace the entire muffler tip to get it quiter.

I'm with you on the quiet pipes and for two reasons: first, it gives me headaches/fatigues me and secondly, it annoys others (including land owners, hikers, rangers and envio groups). Quiet pipes are the whole reason this thread was started. I was really hoping the Quiet Core insert would work for my application but unfortunately it won't. I completely spaced on my update post and forgot to mention that the new Quiet Core Insert cannot be modified to fit my older PowerCore exhaust which is a bummer.

I plan on keeping the stock pipes on both my WR and TW (and KTM that's still in my garage). Yes a new pipe will give you some power, it will drop some pounds and it will look better but for the money I'd rather keep a stock pipe and slap on a bitchen light to ride into the night or get a bigger tank to extend my range. For my DRZ I already have the weight savings, looks and power of the FMF - I just want it to be less noisy. $300 out of pocket just to drop some decibles (and power) seems spendy to me (I was expecting/hoping it would be $40). All that being said, I'm willing to sacrifice some throttle "snap" if it means a quieter ride so I'm considering a Q4.

Since my older PowerCore has more flow (and is theoretically more powerful) than the current PowerCore and Q4 models, I'm hoping that I'll find a guy willing to trade pipes (+ or - cash). Also lots of people part out DRZs on Craigslist and I've been scouring SoCal CL for a while looking for a Q4 but haven't found one yet.

I'm on the hunt for a quiet pipe!

Might be worth trying to repack it. We repacked my buddies YZF and it made a big difference. It went from really annoying to a lower pitch sound that didn't seem outrageously loud. I have a 96 db FMF on my bike and it didn't seem much loader, if any. Cheaper than a new pipe!

Guest Crusty

I have a FMF Q. silencer, with the FMF Gnarly pipe on my CR500 and it's still loud.

I had an FMF Q on the XR 680L . that fell apart.

I recently purchased a quiet core for my old MegamaxII. FMF suggested I use the Powercore4 insert but they no longer make them. I found it at Powersport Superstore via Amazon. Don't know if they still carry it and if it will fit you pipe:

Powersport Superstore included the following items in package 1 of this shipment:

1 of FMF Racing Modular Quiet Core Insert For PowerCore4/Ti PowerCore 4 040171

Another thought is that the quiet core insert is just a oval plate with a 2 inch pipe welded to the center hole. Seems like someone who works with metal could easily build it?

Bill, that's not a bad idea to try and make an insert - I had not thought of it. Depending on if I can source a cheap alternative, I may give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Didn't think of it until the idea of making a tip work came up. I tried and failed to get an exhaust insert to work on my YZF. The insert is a slightly modified but you can have it if you'd like to try it out.

You guys may want to consider, measuring up dims and calling and consulting with these guys. This company is very customer service oriented, they are a moto-passion company.

There may be equivalant match-up, dB - S/A cap that would fit, your specific silencer.

Maybe some slight fab work, but many of these OEM and aftermarket brand silencers are very close in shape and dimensions. This company makes a multitude of sized to fit end caps.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=46_48

I still have my stock S exhaust.

I too would like a quieter exhaust but not sure if I'd lose all the gains from my 434 kit

But loud pipes save lives.....hahahaha.

But do they save feet? blush.gif

Good one Paul

I still have my stock S exhaust.

I too would like a quieter exhaust but not sure if I'd lose all the gains from my 434 kit

Do you mean that you still have the stock S pipe currently on your 434 and want it to be quieter? Stock is about as quiet as you'll ever get.

I've seen guys modify their stock pipes (for a TW200 though) like this:

exhaust9-2.jpg

You guys may want to consider, measuring up dims and calling and consulting with these guys. This company is very customer service oriented, they are a moto-passion company.

There may be equivalant match-up, dB - S/A cap that would fit, your specific silencer.

Maybe some slight fab work, but many of these OEM and aftermarket brand silencers are very close in shape and dimensions. This company makes a multitude of sized to fit end caps.

http://www.promotobi...php?cPath=46_48

Thanks for the link Robert. The PMB exhausts look great and they have a super silent turndown one. I have no idea how much fab work would be needed to seal their exhaust tip to my FMF but I'll take a look at the website.

This thing screams (whispers) "quiet"

pmb-endo.jpg