Sign in to follow this  
Marbee40

Marbee40 Update

SDAR,

Hope these aren't killing bandwidth. If so, let me know. One of our instructors rides a little Yammy XT225 to work every day. I'm scheming on how to swipe it for the w/e and go buzz the local trails. BTW, I miss riding SOOOOO bad it hurts. Only 9 weeks to go! My 650 is calling my name....."Riiiiiiide me!". Someone PLEASE send me a video!

Marbee

Outrun, Outspell, Outswim!

Yes, these last two weeks were a doozy! The first week of September was spent at the firing range, learning how to get my flashy new Glock out of the holster without dropping it or loosing any toes in the process.

Then came the dreaded Defensive Tactics. Each day started with the normal morning PT (running, swimming, death-aerobics, etc). Then a quick shower, breakfast and off to the mat-room for pounding the snot out of each other and learning new ways to politely ask someone to join you in the patrol car. Loads of new bruises and skill by Wednesday.

On Thursday morning, 1/2 the class donned boxing gloves, whilst the other 1/2 donned padded head gear. Hmmmm....me thinks this doesn't bode well for us with the headgear. Eight hours later, my right thumb is in traction, but I'm still alive.

Friday comes around: The previous 4 days of abuse all lead up to a final scenario with the instructor's wearing fully padded fighting suits. Not a good way to start the weekend. As mentioned in previous updates, before you can attempt a scenerio, the staff likes it when you are completely and utterly out of breath and energy. In turn, each of us was "cycled" for almost an HOUR before going upstairs to the scenario room. A staff-member is standing outside the door to brief you. He says "You've already been to Walt's apartment once this evening and explained that if he didn't turn the music down, you'd be back to arrest him. Go in and arrest him". Great....I hope Walt is 9 years old.

I bang on the door and yell "State Troopers!"

Walt yells back "C'Mon in, Trooper!".

Sigh...."Walt, come outside so we can talk!"

"Screw you, copper, come in!"

So much for my initial plan. In I go. Walt is the biggest, ugliest guest-instructor they could find from Sitka PD. Plus, he's wearing all the padding and look's like some freak out of a Japanese super-hero comic book.

I use my highly honed Verbal Judo to attempt to talk him into the cuff's. (You know how this goes, so I won't bore you with the vulgar script.) Walt and I end up scuffling on the floor for what seems like an hour, but, in reality, last's about a minute. I finally get the cuff's on and the evaluator yell's "RED". He says "Stand up, close your eyes and wait". ARE YOU CRAZY? "CLOSE YOUR EYES or fail part II". WHAT? Part TWO? I take two deep breaths on squeeze em shut:

PART TWO: I'm in a room full of badguys and the lights just went out. Talk about Spidey-Senses going bonkers! Someone grabs me from behind and tries to yank my gun. He gets an elbow in the padded chops for his trouble. Two minutes later, I'm 110% out of breath, my guy is in cuff's and the evaluator says I did fine. If I hadn't been so beat, I'd have kicked him in the Wedding Tackle for good measure.

For those of you who have ever wrestled with someone for more than 30 seconds, you'll know exactly how beat up I was. One of the evaluators is to be my future boss back in Wasilla/Palmer. When it's his turn to give comments, he smiles and says "I guess you can come to Palmer now.". I think that was a compliment??? I survived another day at the hands of the padded evil-doers, but seriously have LONG thoughts about the mistakes I made and how terrifying it can be to have someone get a hand on your gun. NOT a mistake I wanna repeat on the street where no one calls TIME OUT. (Hint: If you ever tap a cops' gun, expect a full and complete ass-whooping before he says "Oh, hey John, I didn't realize it was you!")

Saturday was written testing in the AM and then off to Cold Water Survival again. This time not in a warm pool. Lovely Alaska salt water at the end of the Trooper pier. I actually LOVE chilly water, and the immersion suits keep ya purty near toasty. After we stripped out of those, on went the old school life vests (like Grandpa had on the boat in Idaho) and back into the drink. Ohhhhh, a little chillier without the immersion suit! After the initial shock and breathing returned, we swam around, hooted and hollered a bit. Good fun....then I remembered that Orca's swim around here somewhere. Time to get out.

Thank the good Lord they gave us today (Sunday) off. Got the boots polished, uniforms ironed, and essentially squared myself away. Even caught up on a few emails. Life is good in Sitka.

Hope all of you are doing well. Keep those post cards rolling in!

Proud to know a Seabee Chief will be protecting us up north. I will visit. :D

Proud to know a Seabee Chief will be protecting us up north. I will visit. :D

Thanks Carguy! I'll be out of here around the 7th of Dec (Pearl Harbor Day!). Keep in touch.

Marbee

:D:D:D Sounds like GREAT BIG FUN! :D:D

Can't wait to come visit too Jim, hope to see you soon (Like next summer or so :D ).

Keep it up Troopper!