Goofy Footer

"Beach to Big Bear" is a Success

Ever since I read about PastaPilot's "Beach to River" rides, I've wanted to recreate a similar ride "Beach to Big Bear." I wanted to start in Imperial Beach because it's the farthest beach in San Diego County from Big Bear and I am not aware of anybody who has done the ride before so it sounded even cooler to me. I've mentioned it to a few SDAR guys over my time in the club and when the perfect opportunity for me to try the route opened up over Memorial Day weekend, I jumped on it.

FuzzyNugs met me Friday early morning and we rode over the Coronado Bridge and down the SilverStrand to the Imperial Beach Pier. He had to be back home Friday night so it was decided that he would split off at some point during the day. He was riding his "buddy bike" and was using the loop as a test to make sure the moto was once again running good.

I was suspicious of that plan when we met at the gas station to start our ride and the bike was having trouble holding idle and the bike was being somewhat of a pain to start. Fuzzy had done a bunch of work by himself on the bike and while it would run good at times, some mysto issue kept creeping up. To my surprise, he pushed on, even knowing that I had limited time to help him if he needed mechanical assistance (as I had to make it to Big Bear by nightfall). Although the bike was giving him more trouble throughout the day, he threw caution to the wind and pushed on. While I was somewhat doubtful of the bike I knew his adventurous spirit would get him home.

By Anza the bike was running quite rough and barely made it up some of the hills. We ate lunch at the mexican restaurant and watched some locals drive literally down the middle of the freeway on their quads, no helmets and with girlfriends hanging on for dear life. Fuzzy's bike was really being a pain to start. We had push-bumpstarted once or twice before during the day but even with my best "Cool Runnings" impression it wasn't firing up. Eventually I tow-bumpstarted it and we got to the gas station where we topped off and parted ways - but not before push-bumpstarting it one last time though! His gameplan for making it home - don't stop, don't ever stop haha.

The solo ride was great and the scenery was excellent. In fact, the whole day was awesome and I took as much dirt as possible while still being able to make it to Big Bear before sunset. I totalled 278 miles and there was plenty of dirt to keep my "geared for the trail" DRZ happy (my max speed for the whole was only 67.2mph if you can believe that). There was no traffic on any of the trails - I saw one BMW on Boulder Creek, one Husky, one mountain biker and one cute blonde runner on the trails in Big Bear. It was an adventurous day for Fuzzy and myself - good times all around and well worth taking one day off work to start my vacation early!

Here is a cell phone picture of the sun setting over Big Bear which I hope you all enjoy.

post-14322-098398500 1369786413_thumb.jp

so does that leave your right hand feeling a little strange for a few days?from anza what way did you do?O ya your a animal for riding the drz almost 300 miles in one day

Great image.

I'm lecturing (to adults this time!) at a conference for PR professionals in Austin next month- one of the photo assignments they'll be given is to include the sun in every image.

[That's against the Rules! Shoot with the sun to your back!]

Well done.

Nice going Tim.....

Can always count on you to push the meaning of Adventure Riding where it's supposed to be. Very nicely done!

Looks like it was a good time, wish I could have joined.

GF,

Now that is a Switch, A well written story with one good photo.

Pleasure to read; Set-up, Drama, Suspense, Resolve / Happy End.

But wait, are you Suck in Big Bear? = Sequel

unsure.gif

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked the Ride Report and picture. I have some other pictures that I might throw up later but I knew I had "the shot" of the ride when I came around a corner while descending into Big Bear and saw that view. I love the classic look of the 8" racelight and even if I eventually convert to modern powerful LEDs, I might try to get them custom mounted into the 8" race housing simply for the esthetics.

I was actually worried about my hand because I've been getting pain in my thumb from a crash and consistent aches in my grip/palm (I've been meaning to swap throttle tubes and grips to test a different set up) but my hand felt fine on this ride. My rear brake caliper punched a hole in my exhaust pipe while jumping the bike off some rain barrier so I threw in some nice 3M foam ear plugs I picked up in Descanso which helped keep me sane. I've always been told my bike is super loud so I'll be happy to install a FMF Q4 exhaust that I got off CL a few months back which will hopefully quiet my DRZ down a bit. From Anza I turned up Cary Rd, taking note not to blow the Killer 97xr400r and Kato Korner and woeked my way onto Rouse Ridge.

I would do the ride again. I had the opportunity to truck back home so I figured it was as good a time as ever to try the ride up. It would be a long ride back, especially for me on a 400 with low gearing - for a larger bike it could be quite fun to take more of backcountry twisties home. I really liked the Big Bear trails I rode. I would enjoy heading back up there and have even thought about the Big Bear Trail Riders' event on June 22nd. I'll post up a different thread about info for that event. Fuzzy made it safely back home but his bike hasn't wanted to start since! I don't think there is much love lost at this point however.

All in all it was a great ride and a nice escape for a Friday. A young male can only sit in his cubicle so long before the itch of adventure comes creeping back. Catch you on the trail.

Might you be a little more specific about the post-anza route? Thinking it'd be a fine big-bike ride.

Yea, and did Fuzzy make it back home yet?

The lil KLR250 might give me problems..every ride, but it's yet to leave me totally stranded. I left a bit late from Oceanside at 0520 last Friday and started down the PCH towards Tim's in PB. Smooth sailing, empty streets, and green lights. If you want to haul down the coast this is the time to do it! As I got to Tim's I noticed the bike wouldn't hold idle and it had me worried about making it the rest of the day. But I'd come this far. If I was going to get stuck, I'd at least be near civilization at the start of the ride. With that I decided I could just hold the throttle when stopped..for the whole day. I've never ridden a bike across to Coronado, nor ever down the strand to IB. The day was looking better as the sun came out and as Tim mentioned, the trails were empty. No issues with Border Patrol near Otay. Gas at Descanso and then the first push start was needed, haha. Not sure why it was having starting issues because it seemed to run fine once going. On Boulder Creek, I came around a turn to see a huge dust plume. Uh oh Tim's down I thought, but then I came around the corner and there he was taking a bathroom break so I rolled on. I'd later find out that he did take a dirt nap, he's just that quick at hiding the evidence :lol:/> . More trails and more cruising until we hit Cooper Cienega TT at Warner Springs. I had to stop here and sure enough the bike would not start. Luckily with Tim's help this time and a few more scenes from Cool Runnings and push start #2 was in the bag. I'd say halfway to Anza is where the bike really started to give out on me. It would lose power on some of the uphills and barely crawl up at 5mph in 1st gear hahaha. Not where I wanted to get stuck! Fortunately the little bike coughed it's way into town for a tasty burrito at La Cocina. Feeling the desperation and hurt from my little machine, I knew I just had to limp it home. Several more failed Cool Runnings starts until we realized Anza was just too flat. Time for plan B: ride with someone else that has the right tools, like Tim's tow strap. Took two attempts, but got her moving. Top off on gas, and then throw in a 4th push start for good measure and I was off. 61 miles later to include a 10 minute delay for construction in the road and the bike made it home nonstop.

I had a great trip, albeit with a few setbacks with the bike and pulled in 251 miles for the day. Not a lot of pics or stopping, but they were all trails I'd been down before. I think my issue is carb related. I'll be taking it to a shop soon as I'm done playing mechanic on this dumb thing. Nothing is more frustrating than a bike not working, but it does add some adventure to the mix. So who wants to join me the next time I ride this thing?

Thanks Tim for planning out this ride and for putting up with my failing bike. Back to the reliable DR650 for me!

Oh yeah..pictures

Imperial Beach at the start

zqn5xnL.jpg

Not sure what this is called by the locals, but at the antenna nest on Otay

F5xK0H1.jpg

Very hazy conditions with lot's of fog/smog

nT98LWs.jpg

py3Gxue.jpg

Tim on Boulder Creek

DYfh5vj.jpg

Stopped to watch a turkey cross the road on Boulder Creek

bArGbza.jpg