baldbeemer

Tips for stretching boots

I have alien feet and am always struggling to find a quality boot that will fit me comfortably. I already have a decent pair of Sidi's that worked OK but I had to buy extra big to accommodate my toes. I just bought a pair of Gaerne SG-10's because I heard they had a wider toe box that might work for me. I bought them on Ebay at a price low enough to justify the risk. They fit perfect front to back but are just slightly too tight on the sides of the toes. If I push down on the front of the boot it flatten's out and is perfect for my feet. How can I make the boots form the shape I want? Voodoo oil? Snake Spit? I know that if I just wear the heck out of them they'll eventually get that perfect comfy fit we're all hoping to achieve. What can I do to help this process along?

I have alien feet and am always struggling to find a quality boot that will fit me comfortably. I already have a decent pair of Sidi's that worked OK but I had to buy extra big to accommodate my toes. I just bought a pair of Gaerne SG-10's because I heard they had a wider toe box that might work for me. I bought them on Ebay at a price low enough to justify the risk. They fit perfect front to back but are just slightly too tight on the sides of the toes. If I push down on the front of the boot it flatten's out and is perfect for my feet. How can I make the boots form the shape I want? Voodoo oil? Snake Spit? I know that if I just wear the heck out of them they'll eventually get that perfect comfy fit we're all hoping to achieve. What can I do to help this process along?

You sound like me . Let just say Flintstones feet. :heh:

Buy shoe sttetchers.....seriously. Department stores and shoe repair have them.

Yeah, when I tried a pair of Alpinestar's, all I could do was laugh. Not even close.

I too have a wide foot near my toes. Not freakishly wide but to add to that I have a narrow heal. Anyways , one of the problems with modern day boots is the lack of leather put in into them these days. In particularly at the toe section of the boot.

I do the leather coating and put on the new boots and walk in a filled bathtub until they are good and soaked. Then I walk around the yard for as long as I can stand it. Then i take a bunch of towels and try to absorb as much water out as I can. Then I set up the leaf blower and dry them out a little more. Then a fresh pair of over sized socks to absorb more water and then Changed socks and walk around or watch a race on tv for as long as I can . Then set them in the shade out side until dry. Then The next day walk In them and see how they fit. Usually good. If not I repeat.

If its raining hard and you dont mind riding In the rain, you can get the same effect. Treat the leather again and enjoy the ride.

Ps if the boot has a Inner boot like my Tech 8's then I leave the inner boot out and put on two extra socks. That way the inner boot will form to my foot after the boot is stretched a bit.

Boots and helmets, dont skimp on price. You're constantly putting your foot down. If not ride faster....lol

hope this helps, been doing it for 35 plus years and it works for me. But it's prolly not for everyone.

Yea , wet dry wet dry etc, learned this on the fire line. I doubt you want to wear them while they steam plus it can get real hot real quick with flame and coals and steam. It's best to wear them until they dry but it sucks.

Riding in the rain and then having a campfire might work.

I wear 13's if all else fails and you must get custom boots made, I'll take your castoffs.

Unc. C.

I wonder if a boot repair place like the guy up in Encinitas can do anything for you. Might be worth a call. Sole Performance (760) 944-7433.

Like somebody mentioned, modern dirt riding boots have too much man made material in them. Probably going to be hard to get the boot to stretch or change shape. You might also want to look into the Forma boot. It's another brand that boasts having a wide toe box. I don't think that anybody local carries them, but Atomic Moto does. They have a little video on them too. Probably has a decent return policy. You should call Brian up and have a chat with him. I have some Forma boots, and while I don't have wide feet, I still like the fit and quality of my Forma boots.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terrain-TX-Boots_p_793.html

Like somebody mentioned, modern dirt riding boots have too much man made material in them. Probably going to be hard to get the boot to stretch or change shape. You might also want to look into the Forma boot. It's another brand that boasts having a wide toe box. I don't think that anybody local carries them, but Atomic Moto does. They have a little video on them too. Probably has a decent return policy. You should call Brian up and have a chat with him. I have some Forma boots, and while I don't have wide feet, I still like the fit and quality of my Forma boots.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/Forma-Terrain-TX-Boots_p_793.html

I recently bought some Formas and too have some wide feet. They fit pretty good but I am hoping for a little stretch. Definitly high quality for the price boots.

Buy shoe sttetchers.....seriously. Department stores and shoe repair have them.

I agree. I have pathetically wide feet so my shoe stretcher has been put into service many times. I dampen the shoe, put the stretcher in, crank it like crazy, and then let it dry overnight. I usually have to repeat the process several times. For people with really wide feet the breaking-in period is an interminable stay in podiatric hell and something to be avoided.

For boots, you need the stretcher with the angled handle or else it won't fit.

post-1009-065439600 1368114270_thumb.jpg

The caveat: I wear adventure boots which are much less cast-like than traditional motocross boots. Not sure what the futility factor would be with the latter.

I hope you find a solution. Having feet in pain suck.

Rubbing alcohol cut with water works better. It loosens up the protein fibers in the leather better by penetrating further than water. Don't soak it though, dampen a cloth and wipe it on. When the leather gets saturated, put on the boots and wear them until they dry, then apply again. Or, once its saturated, insert your handy stretchers and give them a whirl. I would suggest doing both, but start with a stretcher as it will get the most done without discomfort.

All this is dependent on the target area being composed of leather. I have the Gaerne Pro Oiled trials boots, they're almost 100% leather and have stretched very well with this process.

Thank you for all the good advice. I will try to make them fit before trying an alternate brand.