Goofy Footer

LED Rally Fairing

Not my set up and I have no affiliation but I came across this and thought it looked interesting. They fit other bikes too.

Here is an informative post about the fairing http://advrider.com/...5&postcount=137

Here is the whole thread http://advrider.com/...ad.php?t=766161

Website http://www.globetrot...ights_p_22.html

Stock

48e45d68.jpg

After

3014f136.jpg

efb31beb.jpg

bb60fcd5.jpg

_DSC7208_zpsdb5b6b10.jpg

Hopefully I'm not the only one that thinks this might be a bad idea, am i?

I just shook my head when i saw that, but what do i know

I really like my Britannia Fairing, looks like cost may be close between both after you add in all the extras on the HDB that you may need.

DSCN5460.jpg

Website

_DSC7208_zpsdb5b6b10.jpg

I spent a bit of time today researching just such a system. Not sticking up like a billboard, but...

Where did you see this?

Golly, Stunned is all I can manage.

HDB $360 + BD Squad #1 $330 + BD Squad #2 $330 = Golly!!

Did I miss something?

"Where did you see this?" ADV Vendor Thread

1367294260[/url]' post='150739']

_DSC7208_zpsdb5b6b10.jpg

I spent a bit of time today researching just such a system. Not sticking up like a billboard, but...

Where did you see this?

Are you going to watch "On Any Sunday" while you ride?

Golly, Stunned is all I can manage.

HDB $360 + BD Squad #1 $330 + BD Squad #2 $330 = Golly!!

Did I miss something?

"Where did you see this?" ADV Vendor Thread

bboyle9 just got a BD Squadron with Polisport mask for his DRZ and it cost him $310 shipped or something (not that $310 is significantly less than $330 but that was with the mask too...) Not pocket change by any means but neither is a HDB handguard setup considering that carrying an extra lever is cheap and not crashing costs even less ha.

Stock headlights absolutely suck for riding at night. Uncle Champ hopefully is recovered from his night crash and I went down on pavement a week ago while at night. From a safety perspective, I am willing to pay for better light. It also greatly expands riding hours into the night (which can be a blast) and it's safer during the daytime. Riding highway or off road at night I think better lights are important. For fast moving bikes like a 950, I'd venture to say they are mandatory.

In terms of the HDB set up, you don't "need" to run Squadrons. The guy below is running an HID set up. JohhnyAirtime is a good contact for HID lighting and doing conversions.

IMG_20130420_211143-XL.jpg

(btw I did a night ride up Pine Creek about a month ago - it was fantastic. We turned off the bikes along the ridge and listened to the owls)

Please can we hear from CID and Hoss as to whether we "Need" more light than a single Squadron.

This HDB Kit is fine quality and all But; Do I need a full Racelight set-up to find my way into camp when running behind schedule, which is not going to happen often because I don't want to miss the party.

ohmy.gifunsure.gifblink.gif

(btw I did a night ride up Pine Creek about a month ago - it was fantastic. We turned off the bikes along the ridge and listened to the owls)

Those fairings both look nice but pretty pricey. You thinking of dumping the cyclops?

fsSXNHy.jpg

I love the classic look of the 8" race lights so I'll doubt I'll be changing mine anytime soon. I'd like to add a helmet light or another removable light source (as in that it can be transferred between bikes) to help fill in the darker spots around my beam.

As for how much light a man needs.... Here is the best of both worlds - HID for distance and LED for spread

KTM's Factory 2012 Baja 1000 Race Bike

baja_designs_ktm_baja_1000.jpg

onx-racer2.jpg

And yes, I'm up for night rides this summer!

Yes, I'd like to use my ipad mini for navigation.

< sharp intake of breath followed by a scoff from the direction of Page, Arizona >

Truth is, I can't see my tiny nav screen, even if I knew how to use my GPS with any confidence. And yes, it's gimmicky and impractical, and I could just ride a 1972 Tote Goat and be just fine. I navigate by following Roger (or his directions) but Roger can't come on every ride.

But I LIKE to play with gadgets- I was a ham radio operator in high school, and build my own 4-tube superhetrodyne radio, too.

The main limitation so far is the power cable. Navigation sucks battery life in a pretty big way, so the ipad needs to stay powered. Doing so compromises the water/dust integrity of every case I've researched. I can fit it in my tankbag, but if the power connection takes a whack, it could break the ipad.

So I have some research to do.

Yes, I'll still carry maps, yes, I'll still carry a GPS, yes, yes, yes.

PMB,

You may find cell service required to enable the iPad. The places you need it most the system will fail.

Please tell me I am mistaken, as these would be great for the Adventure Rider.

Bagstr

I'm with you on the bigger screen. While leading our group through Baja a few weeks back, I caught myself often joggling between looking at trails splitting and peering into my 76cx gps screen. I thihk I'm fairly decent on GPS route planning and on the fly navigation (we hit a few locked gates that I had to work around) but.... I'd of course enjoy a larger viewing screen because it's plain easier to see when on booking it down a trail. I have my gps mounted to the handlebars so I have to look down to see the screen as opposed to guys running a fairing who have their gps mounted higher (ie Roger or CalNub).

A Garmin 276 or 478 would be great but they are discontinued and expensive used. I really considered running Joliet's Garmin Nuvi 500 in conjunction with my 76cx for it's larger screen. I would navigate/problem solve mainly through the 76cx and follow my pre-drawn tracks on the Nuvi's larger color screen. To me it seems like a good plan but I couldn't find enough info of guys using that set-up to sell me on it. If I used a gps in vehicles, I would have jumped on the Nuvi because I could use it in my truck and try it on the bike.

What's Crawdaddy's saying? Navigate to Adventure or something like that?

PS - How're the stock lights on the 990? Do you feel you want more light for night riding?

Yes, I'd like to use my ipad mini for navigation.

The main limitation so far is the power cable. Navigation sucks battery life in a pretty big way, so the ipad needs to stay powered. Doing so compromises the water/dust integrity of every case I've researched. I can fit it in my tankbag, but if the power connection takes a whack, it could break the ipad.

So I have some research to do.

Some of the new phones have induction chargers, no plug-in worries there. The question is if there are any that will run/charge from 12V?

_DSC7208_zpsdb5b6b10.jpg

I would think weather/vibration would kill it pretty quicky.....

PS - How're the stock lights on the 990? Do you feel you want more light for night riding?

If I rode at night, I'd need more light.

I would think weather/vibration would kill it pretty quicky.....

That's in a waterproof case- I don't think the weather would be an issue, until you open the power port to plug it in. It has no hard drive, no moving parts. But things like circut boards and component soldered thereon might be a problem, but no more than a GPS. One could argue a purpose-built GPS would have more rugged construction than a consumer product like the iPad, but we'll see, I suppose.

I'll hook it up in my tank bag first for a few test runs. Reports are MotionGps is suposed to be excellent off-road and will handle GPX files with ease. Maps can be downloaded in advance so it's not dependent on 4g/wifi to display. Might overheat- my iPhone does.

the Mighty T-DUB

GEDC007902.jpg

GEDC0019800x600.jpg

GEDC004524.jpg

Why on earth would you spend so much time or money on that? Here's an idea, lets turn my girlfriends p150 into a rally bike! Yeah, that'll be money well spent.

Ps: looking at the snow I can only hope this belongs to no one local.

Please can we hear from CID and Hoss as to whether we "Need" more light than a single Squadron.

This HDB Kit is fine quality and all But; Do I need a full Racelight set-up to find my way into camp when running behind schedule, which is not going to happen often because I don't want to miss the party.

ohmy.gifunsure.gifblink.gif

Absolutely not needed....unless you are riding the Dakar Rally at night, or in need of a tax write off.

Just one of those lights are much brighter than the BD Diablo light that I had on the previous bike.