tvscum

Android to Apple switch

Good news: My work pays for my cell phone.

News: My work is switching from Android to Apple 5.

Bad news: dualsportmaps.com does not have an Apple app.

Question: Is there a similar dual sport mapping app that will work on the Apple 5?

Cheers!

I like Motion X for tracks, but Iv'e mostly been using an app called Maplets. It has a bunch of maps that you can download, like the Ocotillo Wells SRA paper map that was digitized, or you can scan and upload your own, line up the lat/lon, and drive around on it. Kinda make tracks obsolete if you can find a map with the trails you want to ride. I'm due for an upgrade, and when I get my new phone I'll probably use old one as my GPS all the time. Have you found a good mount?

I've been able to import .gpx into MotionX GPS on my ip4. Don't have to use their email process. I just email 'em to myself.

Zancat

I like Motion X for tracks, but Iv'e mostly been using an app called Maplets. It has a bunch of maps that you can download, like the Ocotillo Wells SRA paper map that was digitized, or you can scan and upload your own, line up the lat/lon, and drive around on it. Kinda make tracks obsolete if you can find a map with the trails you want to ride. I'm due for an upgrade, and when I get my new phone I'll probably use old one as my GPS all the time. Have you found a good mount?

I've been able to import .gpx into MotionX GPS on my ip4. Don't have to use their email process. I just email 'em to myself.

Zancat

I ordered this really cheap mount because it covers the device, and I don't want to have to remove my belt holder frame from the phone every time I use it for a GPS.

http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS032-Handlebar-Mount-3-5/dp/B003FMUP0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367425311&sr=8-1&keywords=Arkon+GPS032+Handlebar+Mount+for+3.5+-+4.3-Inch+GPS+Devices

I have been able to import .gpx files the same way using MotionX by emailing the file to myself. As far as I can tell, the app will not auto cache the track, though, like the dualsportmaps android app does. MotionX will only cache an area of the map that you can define by dragging a circle over the general area, which means a lot more tiles have to be cached.

What I would really like is an app that will auto cache the track using a hybrid-satellite base map so that you can see the dirt roads. I guess with MotionX you can manually trace the track with the hybrid-satellite base map and it will keep the cache for offline use. But it's a pain to cache all zoom levels of the tiles when doing it manually. But you get what you pay for!

I have no power cable but I might order one of those USB battery backups seen here:

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's outrageous. Does the XR400 have a battery? If so, just get a 12v outlet with fuse and run a car-charger. Total investment of $20, and no hand cranking required.

I have a tiny battery in the airbox but seems like it's dead or dying. It can barely power the blinkers. It was there when I purchased the bike, so I am not sure why it's there or what type of device it could power. I'll have to research further.

Hey Dave, I look at the tracks on my I Phone 5 with google maps now. I get them emailed to me by great members. And so far I always have had an AT T signal. But you want one for when you dont have a signal right.

Also I have a spare battery I carry with me and it gets me through a day. Havent been out more than 24 hours with this system.

I also just picked up a 12V pover cable I picked up at Cycle Gear for 12 bucks when they are on sale. Hooks up easy but I'm gonna install a fuse.

Check your battery and replace it if you can so you can get the power cable hooked up. I downloaded AllTrails for the Iphone 5 and it keeps your top speed, avg speed and tracks your route. havent tried adding tracks or uploading from it yet. Not sure if you can without buying the full version.

post-15232-012642200 1368334670_thumb.jpGives you a quick charge on the go.

post-15232-071103900 1368334690_thumb.jp

Do you know if the stator was rewound? If you're running the stock stator, you won't have enough electrical output to run the lights and accessories efficiently.

You can check by pulling the stator cover off (on the left side) and looking at the stator directly. If it's stock, it'll look like this:

Stockstator_zps510e3ae8.jpg

You can purchase a new one or wrap the stock one yourself for about $20. Notice the 4 darker poles? Those are the lighting coils which are separate from the two ignition coils. To add electrical output, you simply cut the old wires off, wrap the new wire around all ten poles, and then coat the poles in epoxy. Let it dry for a day, then reinstall. There's plenty of info about the modification online.

Once I rewound mine, I was able to power a 60w headlight, 21w brake light, 20 watt turn signals, and a 12v power outlet without any issues. Stock, the lights were dim and flickered horribly unless the engine was revved up.

Thanks for your help guys!

My battery is zip tied into the inside of my airbox. I would like to get a smaller one and put it under the seat to the left of the airbox in this photo. It seems like the position of the battery currently restricts airflow into the box by a good percentage. I assume the regulator/rectifier in this photo is that thing below the hose in the green square?

photo1_zpse69931fb.jpg

You can see in this photo (taken from the rear wheel position) how the battery was zip tied into the airbox and then sealed with silicone:

photo2_zpsff2240d0.jpg

I also assume it's a stock stator. Is there any way to tell from the cable coming off of it if it is stock (without having to remove the side case cover)?

photo_zpsc36b684e.jpg

If it is a stock wind, I will probably get it rewound because I may need the voltage. Currently, I am only running the blinkers and a Trail Tech Vapor speedo. As I say, the blinkers fail when the bike is running because the battery is dying. Maybe I will just replace the battery with one of these type batteries and put it under the seat and see what happens:

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/3700-nimh-battery-vehicle-mount-p-631.html

Although if you look at the final post on this page, that guy seems to think you can run blinkers and a GPS off the stock stator and small battery:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/634837-xr400-battery-add-on/

Hmm, no headlight or taillight? If it's just the blinkers and the speedo, I would think you'd have enough power. That green thing is the R/R unit from Baja Designs. You can get a battery like this:

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=120315

It will fit right behind the R/R on top of the air box.

I assume you could check the output from the stator before it reaches the regulator. I don't know what the specs are though or what kind of voltage change would result from a rewind or a different unit.

By the way, that thing is super clean for a 16 year old XR!

Sorry, yes I have a hi/lo beam headlight, tail light, brake light, blinkers, horn (old school Baja Designs kit) and Trail Tech Vapor. So, maybe I can't add a GPS with the stock stator?

I'm a bit confused what these two ratings mean. 3700 mAh means the total storage of the battery, right? While 700 ma means the max power? So, which battery is better?

3700 mAh

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/3700-nimh-battery-vehicle-mount-p-631.html

700 ma

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=120315

I'm betting that's a typo. The NiMH has a higher capacity and would work better. Let me know if you decide to try wrapping the stator yourself. I can send you info and help you out if you need it.

I'm betting that's a typo. The NiMH has a higher capacity and would work better. Let me know if you decide to try wrapping the stator yourself. I can send you info and help you out if you need it.

Thanks Nick!

Hey Dave, I'm wondering if your battery hooks into the stock wiring harness at all. My guess is it just powers the turn signals and is not recharged by the stator. The battery may need to be bench charged.

Hey Dave, I'm wondering if your battery hooks into the stock wiring harness at all. My guess is it just powers the turn signals and is not recharged by the stator. The battery may need to be bench charged.

Hmmm. I will have to check. If I only knew what I was doing! It looks like a total old school dual sport complete kit with a R/R. I'll do some digging and see. Thanks.

Looks like it's wired into the harness maybe. The two yellow wires going into the R/R are from the stator, and the red and black wires into the R/R are from the battery. That thin black and red wire is from the Trail Tech speedo (directly to the battery).

df828bc5-ce38-4b68-8e08-4dc649f4e0fa_zps8e25472f.jpg

Not sure what that dangling green wire with the plug is?

cef1f34e-b060-401e-9b7e-7652de6ac185_zps5fa01eba.jpg

Ricky Stator diagram #3 applies here:

http://www.rickystator.com/04technical/img/honda/RSXR400.pdf

Old school BD installation instructions here:

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/29708407/Honda-XR-400-Installation-Manual

Oh bother! I think I'll just ride it by Ricky Stator and have them look at it. I see they are based in Ramona.

Thanks all!

I just installed a new battery and blinker flasher and everything is working fine. Have not attempted a GPS power adaper yet. That will probably require an upgraded stator.